[NL2-NL10] AK, out of position, scary board

• gg12gg
      Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , K:spade:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

I don't like to 3-bet preflop with AKo, but may be here it would be good idea - MP3's opening range is loose and CO hadn't shown strength.
      What would you say?

Flop: ($1.25) K:heart: , 8:heart: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.7, CO calls $0.70, Hero raises to $2.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.80.

I have a pretty good hand here, weaker pairs and flush draws can call my bet, so I raise.

May be, I should have raised more? $3? $4?

Turn: ($6.95) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.3, Hero folds.

The turn card is scary, because helps a lot of my opponent's hands.
      From the actions on the flop I excluded 8x from my opponent's range - he would have raised the flop. It is extremely unlikely that he holds KK or QQ - he would have raised preflop. So he must have two pairs or a flush (most probably).

I check, and he bets. So he must have a flush. In that case I have only 11 outs - two 8, two K, and seven h. I decided to fold, what would you do?

Final Pot: $10.25
  • 3 replies
    • MrJohnAce

3betting is definitely better than cold calling in this situation and it doesn't have so much to do with the loose MP3 and the weak CO caller, but more with the fact that you'll be OoP the entire hand. You really want to take the pot down now.

I don't mind your check/raise, calling would've been ok too, since you have the A:heart: , so no-one can be drawing to the nut flush, but it would've left you in the dark.
      But let's think about what you opponent thinks. Assuming he's a thinking player, he may note that you can't have any King (because you're OoP against 2 players), although he's wrong, he still doesn't know it... so now he maybe thinks your reraise might mean you have an 8 or maybe a bluff... he then decides to call to reevaluate on the Turn.

Mr. CO now sees that you don't bet out, so maybe you don't have an 8, but might have a King after all... He also sees that the Queen fills up a Flush and decides to bluff you of the hand, seeing that you wouldn't have bluffed the flop with a flush draw.

Maybe the CO called preflop with 87s, maybe 22, in fact he could hold just about anything from low suited connectors to JJ (maybe even QQ)... you don't know and it's very difficult to find out when your OoP.

Although I try my best to avoid these OoP situations, I think that had I ended up in this spot, the Gambler in me probably would've called the Turn bet with 3.1:1 (or whatever it was) pot odds and see what the river brings...
    • veriz
      Hello gg12gg,

Preflop: Wow, calling here is the worst while also being OOP. Would even prefer fold over Calling. :)

As played
      Flop: Why do you Check/Raise so small? What's the purpose of the small raise? Give opponents good odds for FD? If I'd go here for a Check/Raise then it should be near pot size. :)

As played
      Turn: Easy Check/Fold, you don't beat much, especially when FD completes.

Best Regards.
    • gg12gg
      Thank you, veriz and MrJohnAce.