BTN: $4.25
      SB: $3.90
      BB: $8.00
      UTG: $10.10
      UTG+1: $4.15
      MP: $4.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, CO raises to $1.30, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.75, 2 players) 7:club: K:club: 4:spade:
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.70, Hero raises to $4.50, CO raises to $8.70 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.20

Turn: ($20.15, 2 players) 9:spade:

River: ($20.15, 2 players) 3:diamond:

I think I called the 3-bet preflop here because CO might 3-bet wider against a stealing range. Playing out of position and without initiative seems like a pretty bad call though.

On a dry flop like this, is it OK to stack off with TPTK? Since he made a 3-bet, 44 and 77 don't seem very likely. The only other hands beating me are KK and AA.
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, BaggerSmurf!

Yeah, I don't really like the call preflop - exactly for the reasons you said. Especially being OOP, if the money does go in postflop we'll often be beat. Otherwise, if the villain has QQ or JJ he won't pay us off on A or K high flops.

As played I think nothing you can do but stackoff. No reason to call pre if you're not willing to stackoff with TPTK on a "safe" board where we even have the nut backdoor.

Then again, if villain had bluffs he'd fold to your check/raise; same for QQ or JJ etc. He can't have many flush draws as we even have the A :club: and the K :club: is on the table.

You could consider check/calling flop if he's a bluffy type and would barrel that kind of flop often... but this kind of "tough and yet not profitable" spots is why we don't call preflop OOP without a *very solid* read on the opponent and his postflop play.