advice on moving from FR to SH

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hi guys i need some advice on moving from FR to SH..

i started playing on nl2 FR, made my way to nl10 fr but had to cash out and avoid poker for a few months. anyways, im getting back to poker now and i feel like giving SH a shot because FR is such a bore playing like a nit.

i wanted to wait until at least nl25 to move to SH so that i could prove to myself that i can play FR.. but i feel like changing now. i want some opinions on whether or not i should bother making the switch. i'm not amazing at poker but i have moved from $20 to $250 playing FR. is it worth switching, and will it improve my game?
  • 7 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I would say don't move just because it's what other people tend to do. I did this and got stung badly first time round as I loosened up too much and for some reason went hyper aggro after playing super nitty at FR.

With regard to adjustments, start at a limit you have 50 stacks for and play pretty much as you would in a FR game but without the first 3 positions. I don't know how loose you are on the button in FR but in SH you should open at least 30% of hands, more like 50% if the blinds are tight.

I don't know how 'ABC' your game is at FR but in SH games you can't just wait for the nuts to get your money in. You'll need to value bet much more of your range as the post flop play is generally looser in SH games.

Also, imo blind defense becomes a much bigger issue as they come round so much quicker. Start thinking about how you should play oop and what hands you will 3bet with pre flop when the CO or BU have attempted a steal. There is a good article on this I think in the silver strategy section that you can read once you've played some hands.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Depends on your playing style, I personally do better at SH than FR, and at the lower limits ive noticed more horrendously bad players. You have to be really willing to play a lot more hands though, keeping your standard FR game wont be much of a winning strategy unless your at NL2. Big plus is you get to play a lot more hands and thus win more vs donkeys though.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      SH can be very profitable if you can perfect the tight aggressive play.

also if you're good at making reads/notes on players its very easy to understand how they react in certain situations and as such its really easy to read their hand and exploit them in certain situations.

i think best advice is to try out SH for a little bit and see how it works for you, why talk about it more :P
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey DrDunne,

If you're not too confident switching from FR > SH, then I think the best advice is to drop down a limit, which for you is NL5, right? Play a few thousand hands there until you feel confident enough to give SH10 a go !

I play Strictly SH now, I enjoy it alot more than playing FR, and I' sure you will too :)

You should also watch TwiceT's Move it, move it up the the Sky! He shows you how to play SH ;)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks for the opinions guys. and thanks for linking the video matt - watching it now. its really good :D
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      Hey DrDunne,

If you're not too confident switching from FR > SH, then I think the best advice is to drop down a limit, which for you is NL5, right? Play a few thousand hands there until you feel confident enough to give SH10 a go !

I play Strictly SH now, I enjoy it alot more than playing FR, and I' sure you will too :)

You should also watch TwiceT's Move it, move it up the the Sky! He shows you how to play SH ;)
      About this. I would be careful with this video. He gets in some though spots from time to time or plays speculative hands. Rather get a feel for SH first I would say before copying his game.
      I just went from FR to SH and the best advice someone gave me was: "don't change your game to much!" And for now it does the trick. I'm slightly winning but more important I'm getting a feel for SH.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Your opening ranges should more or less be the same. Though I would argue that you could get away with opening more loosely in FR games since the blinds tend to be folding way more often.

In 6-max players get more aggressive so you should be willing to put money into the pot with weaker ranges. Set-mining is SUPER COMMON in FR and i will be very scared of turn and river shoves, probably somewhat similar in SH at microstakes but still I think people are more capable of getting out of line. Other than that, I do not really think that you need to make any drastic changes to your overall game plan.