(FR STT) How to play low pocket pairs preflop in Early and Middle stages?

• inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      I know it's all situation dependent, but some general guidance would be appreciated. I'd like the advice to be aimed at a fairly advanced player.

Thanks
  • 6 replies
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      No set, no bet.

Simple and to the point... ^_^
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      I meant preflop, sorry.
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      In which case you still follow the 20:1 rule if possible and fold if the price is getting too high to see the flop.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      sorry mate but you don't seem to have read my first post -

Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      I know it's all situation dependent, but some general guidance would be appreciated. I'd like the advice to be aimed at a fairly advanced player.

Thanks
      what you've given are bare basics (it's a "15 to 1" rule btw) and it's not what im looking for. I meant open-raising ranges for all positions in early and middle stages. like in early stage, early position you should open TT+, middle position 88+ etc. I'm looking to get solid responses from experienced Regs that know when it is +EV to open 99 UTG and when is it +EV to open 33 in middle stage... etc.

EDIT: smartass fail - the rule's 20 to 1
    • MilanBurdych
      MilanBurdych
      Bronze
      There is no such a thing as a chart. If u r beginner and dont feel comfortable postflop, u simply try get to the flop with your low pocket pairs as cheap as possible, follow the 20:1 rule, maybe 15:1 if multiway and play NO SET NO BET. If u r more comfortable, thn u can raise your pairs at MP and possibly cbet and so on...there is no easy answer...
    • M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Early stages I'd go for no set no bet with anything less than JJ. I even play way too carefully with JJ or even QQ.

Mid stage to bubble I don't even call with 1:20 rule -TT. Cause could easily lose 1/5 of my stack which is way too valuable. Also during that stage cannot easily push out the original raiser whom missed the flop out of the pot, and gets harder on the turn and river. So many times you would end up betting a good amount of your stack with a losing hand or get scared and give away easy bluff opportunities.

I believe with regular online chip count and blinds escalation, You can't really get a good read or push someone out without endangering yourself to get crippled. There ain't enough chips. At least I can't :)

I reviewed my hand histories for about 1000 MTT tournaments I played and reached this conclusion.

1. Early Stages: 1:20 rule, no set no bet <TT
      2. Mid to Bubble: Avg. or under stack: avoid <TT completely. Deep 1:15 rule against other deep stacks, then again no set no bet, or check raise on the flop. against low stacks (less than 1/4 of my own) shove preflop, or play it a bit more safe and shove on the flop if I feel they missed.
      3. Bubble: I believe this stage really depends on the amount of buy-in. Cause players' pro factor and coocoo factor varies ! But in general, I still keep away from <88. Call all-ins up to half my stack with medium pairs. And if I'm really deep stacked, like twice the avg. would against other deeps with 1:15 rule.

Hope it helped a bit.