Motives and Drives

• elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Hi...

I'm reading the book The Psychology of Poker.

I have a question: What is the difference between Motives and Drives?

Alan N. Schoonmaker, talks a lot of them even in the sama sentences and thatn sometimes confuses me. ?(

Please, help.
  • 5 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey elquimico,

Would you like me to move your thread to Poker Media?

You might get some more relevant views so maybe you can get an answer?

Regards,

Kyle.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey elquimico,

I believe the the following are right, or close enough at least ;)

Drives is something that makes you continue, the term "Some people are move Driven" comes to mind

Motive is more of a, why you do what you're doing.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi elquimico,

Motive: is a noun and the name of something; like a reason to do something.

As simple example could be; 'My motive for asking this question was to increase my knowledge.' Motive as a reason, a spur; an incentive if you will.

Drive: is a verb, a 'doing word', as in 'you drive your car.' So we DO something when we drive.

Given our example above; 'My motive for asking this question was to increase my knowledge, but it was my drive that kept me trying to find the answer.'

So 'Motive' is the reason to do it and 'drive' is waht helps keep you doing it.

Sigh, sorry I'm no expert at explaining, but I hope this helps a bit.

Maybe I just need a greater motivation to learn, but I lack the drive to complete it!

Best regards,

Mal..
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi elquimico,

Motive: is a noun and the name of something; like a reason to do something.

As simple example could be; 'My motive for asking this question was to increase my knowledge.' Motive as a reason, a spur; an incentive if you will.

Drive: is a verb, a 'doing word', as in 'you drive your car.' So we DO something when we drive.

Given our example above; 'My motive for asking this question was to increase my knowledge, but it was my drive that kept me trying to find the answer.'

So 'Motive' is the reason to do it and 'drive' is waht helps keep you doing it.

Sigh, sorry I'm no expert at explaining, but I hope this helps a bit.

Maybe I just need a greater motivation to learn, but I lack the drive to complete it!

Best regards,

Mal..
      thankl you very much.
      Now it's clearer for me.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      You are very welcome elquimico, I am always happy when I can help out.

Have fun,

Mal.