[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #22 21.02.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Feb 21st, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, February 28th at 6 PM GMT.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($50.25)
      BB ($74.49)
      CO ($66.47)
      BTN ($49.25)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: Q:club:

CO raises to $1.50, fold, Hero raises to $5, BB calls $4.50, fold

FLOP ($11.50) 6:club: A:club: 3:diamond:

Hero bets $8, BB calls $8

TURN ($27.50) 6:club: A:club: 3:diamond: A:heart:

Hero bets $15, BB calls $15

RIVER ($57.50) 6:club: A:club: 3:diamond: A:heart: 3:club:

Hero ?

Reads:
      NFD c/push
      AA as PFA check flop, c/r turn
      BTN 33 cold 4b/c
  • 5 replies
    • rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      Well this player is pretty agro looking player. Pre flop, post flop and turn play is quite standart I think. If he had an A in this spot I think he would have raised the turn for value. Now the river is interesting. A flush draw completes whish is one of his outs that he could have made the calls with, furthermore there are now 2 pairs on the board. What I would do in this spot is to check call, mainly because the river card is the perfect card for him to bluff raise/value raise random king or a 6 or something like 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ thinking that it is the best hand since you have shoved weakness on the river and if he has and ace or a 3 in this spot that would just be unlucky.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Even though villain is in position, he is not likely to call with all the hands from his 22% range, because: a. SB is 3betting, and b. we have a CO behind villain who might call and get a position on BB.

So, I tightened villain's range to:
      66+, A2s+, KTs+, QJs, JTs.

We have 2nd NFD blocker and it changes villain's range so much that we could exclude now FD hands like KcQc, QcJc, QcTc.

There is a read that villain check/pushes nut flush draw, but now the villain is in position, so he can play for pot control and turn value with FD as well, especially since villain has a position on a 3bet PFA and cbetter on flop. If FD for villain is the case, then it doesn't make any sense why villain called turn (paired board, kills outs).

Now, it's another case if villain has Axs hand. Hero showed so much aggression, preflop, on flop, and on turn, that villain can easily call behind to get more value on river.

Bottom line: there is a lot invested into the pot, but if we shove what do we beat? Hands like 77-JJ are not going to call here, and the rest of this range+play style has us beat.
      Hero should just check-fold, unless the villain's bet is really miniature (like up to 5 dollars).
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Pre: Pretty standard. I think villains CC'ing range here might be something like:

22+,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,JTs,ATo+,KJo+

Villains seems loose and aggressive although rarely folds to cbets and seems to go to showdown very often and his AF is not abnormally high. Also the fact that he can cold 4b with the likes of 33 IP makes me think he may call any PP for set value OOP and obviously if villain had 4b I would just go broke pre with QQ here.

Flop: I like hero's c-bet here, size and all. Villain is rarely folding to c-bets but I think he will call some weaker pairs and draws IP, also it makes the hand play easier and is an easy bet/fold if we are raised since he is not overly aggressive postflop.

I think c/c here is a possiblity since we have Q :club: and A :club: is already out, I think there are fewer combinations of FD's in his range, so we could bluff induce, but It would feel like a bit of a guessing game trying to call him down three streets, especially if the board develops badly and he continues to show aggression.

Turn: I think this is a very bad card to second barrell as we wont get a lot of credit for an ace and would only get weaker hands to fold and better hands to call. In additon, there is less need to bet for protection, since FD's are less likely.

If I were in Hero's spot I would probably just c/f the turn mostly since I am not confident calling down in these spots yet. Plus villain doesn't seem overly aggressive therefore I would expect him to check behind weaker pairs and draws to go to showdown. If villain were to check behind I would probably call any non-king / non :club: mainly since I would not expect him to check behind on the turn with trips.

River: As played I would just c/f mostly (unless we get sick value for some reason, then I am calling for note taking purposes) in hero's position as I would expect weaker pairs to check behind and I would rarely expect to be bluffed here.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      I like heros play pre flop and on the flop alot

Im not sure about the second barrel, it does get value from hands like JJ, TT, that called the flop but i think theres only a few of aces in his range that hes cold calling with, as the CO is still to act, AK, and we have blockers for AQ, i think the second barrel was okay or hero could have checked for pot control.

On the river, i think its a really tough spot OOP as if we check villains range is kinda polarised, hes going to bluff a lot here if he check to him, he will also bet for value with an A, and probably a 3. I think he would check most middle pairs (JJ,TT) so if he intend to c/c we re effectively bluff catching.

However, if we block bet say another $15 (same as our turn bet) for 1/4 of the pot, he will raise any A which we can safely fold our hand, i think he will just call with a 3 so we re saving some money in relation to c/calling, instead of villain betting say $30 if he has a 3. He will fold his bluffs, or a small chance he will bluff raise, but tbh his bluffing range here is really narrow, unless he double floated the flop and turn because theres no missed draws in his range. I also think is we block bet $15 we will be getting thin value of other bluff catching hands we beat like JJ, TT and even K high if he thinks we re bluffing
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Would say pretty standard 3bet for value against CO range here. Afterwards we get called from rather tight opponent and more reasonable opponent we consider him having a pretty strong range here. Could contain a lot of PPs like 99-JJ or whatsoever. And of course maybe even AK and etc type of hands.
      Flop: Here can be picked few lines, like turn your hand into bluff-catcher by Check/Calling it and at the same time you could even consider CBetting. Bluff-catcher cause he has a lot of weaker PPs in his range which may fold. Therefore if you CB I would still CB a bit smaller ~$7 which should be enough for 3bet pot.
      Turn: Here you can pick few options. Either you can Check and let him bluff, especially if he has such hands as smaller PPs you might get more value from them. Or as well ain't a huge mistake if you even 2nd barrel. Here I like the sizing.
      River: Easy Check/Fold, not many worse will Bet nor will Call.

Best Regards.