[NL2-NL10] AA not fold

• MoneyDearest
      MoneyDearest
      Bronze
      Right after I posted the last hand, I had a similar situation, and took a different line.

Just thinking about it now, I probably should have c-bet larger to protect against draws/ for value. At the time, I was slow playing to coax raises from Kx. What do you think?

iPoker - €0.04 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

LP: €2.18
      CO: €5.00
      BTN: €1.93
      SB: €3.92
      BB: €5.52
      Hero (UTG): €2.38
      UTG+1: €5.00
      MP: €5.97
      MP+1: €3.46

SB posts SB €0.02, BB posts BB €0.04

Pre Flop: (€0.06) Hero has A:diamond: A:heart:

Hero raises to €0.16, fold, fold, MP+1 calls €0.16, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (€0.38, 2 players) 2:spade: K:club: 5:spade:
      Hero bets €0.19, MP+1 calls €0.19

Turn: (€0.76, 2 players) K:heart:
      Hero bets €0.76, fold

Hero shows A:diamond: A:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Kings)
      Hero wins €0.71

It worked, but am I generally spewing money to K2+?

Cheers,

Money.
  • 6 replies
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Pardon me, this new book I'm reading recommends that I spend time on the forums discussing hands :P

Opinion:
      In my limited experience, I've found that Kx frequently likes to play here. He'll probably call either of a half pot or 2/3rds so you might as well bet the 2/3rds.
      If a worse hand calls, it makes a larger mistake that way.

I don't like the pot bet because it puts way to much money in against the hands that beat us and scares away the hands we want to call. Because there is only one card left to come on the turn, all draws are weaker, therefore you can bet a little smaller and still protect yourself from the likely draws. The problem here is that any Kx that was losing to us now has us crushed, so betting the pot here means we just lost a lot more than we could have with a smaller bet.

If he just called again, what would you do if the river brings a spade? or if the river brings a blank?

If he shoved the turn here would you call?

Good luck with the tables and I hope you see tons of rockets in your next session,

G.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jimanyjerk
      Pardon me, this new book I'm reading recommends that I spend time on the forums discussing hands :P
      Which new book ? :)

-

I continue betting half pot pot on the Turn to keep the flushdraws & PPs in because by betting pot, you are not valuebetting nor betting as a bluff

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Poker math that Matters I think is what it's called, can't remember the author. It just has a good collection of ways that I can practice this information at the table and away from it. The math isn't as heavy as No limit holdem theory and Practice by Skalnsky either so I'm really enjoying the read so far.

g.
    • MoneyDearest
      MoneyDearest
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies!

Gerv, wouldn't you be scared of losing to Kx?

I was thinking that since he called the raise reflop, he could have KQ, KJ, KT, (or even Kx if really loose). Since he didn't raise preflop, and just called the bet on the flop, I guess he doesn't have AK. So, on the flop, I represented a King, and I want to make him think it's AK, or so he can fold other Kx. To make him really think this, and to give him a reason to fold KQ, I thought I should bet really big.

It's true that flush draws are definitely possible too. In this case, I guess I didn't protect propperly on the flop, and didn't "bet low enough for value" on the turn?

About the pocket pairs, do you think players will call c-bet with pp's on K high board from pre-flop raiser often enough to be profitable? (Genuine question btw, could be true at the micro's at least)

Admittedly, this situation would be greatly improved if I was paying attention, and had better reads on the guy :D !

So, bet line here would be, 2/3's pot b, 3-b if raised on flop, then 1/2 pot on turn for .. pot control from Kx or value/protection from draws? Then if called, another half pot on the river, or (a check call?) and fold to raise on turn or river?
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      I realised that I typed my reply really fast and didn't specify things properly so my apologies if my reply has caused any confusion

Flop: I think that on the flop there will be quite a few Kx that would be willing to play for a 2/3rds bet on the flop. You'll probably get quite a bit of action from flush draws if they play anything like I've seen on party poker. a 2/3rds bet also changes the complexion of the pot because it will be easier to get your money in on later streets.

Turn: Here I don't like the bet size because it basically forces your opponent to play correctly against you. If he has Kx or better he will probably call or raise, if he doesn't have Kx or better he will probably fold. If he has Kx then you bet 75 cents and lost 75 cents, if he doesn't have Kx you will most likely win the pot now, but it's not going to gain any more value because no worse hands are calling a pot bet.
      if you bet 35-40 cents then you lose half as much when he does have Kx, and you get more money in the pot if he calls with a pocket pair or a flush draw. The smaller bet gains more value because it's more likely for your opponent to call with hands like 88, 99, TT, or AJs, QJs.

Goodluck at the tables,
      Garet
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      You can't pot control OOP ; pretty difficult to take freecards if you are first to act

I think betting 60% is fine on the Flop but on this Turn King, I would continue betting smallish because if you check, you have to c/f because you dont know if he is betting as a bluff or only value betting

If the Turn was any other card ,then you can increase your betsizing for max value/protection

- Gerv