Pocket 7s

• LooseDonk
      Hi guys,

Just curious to know what fellow players think of this hand. I made several mistakes playing it, but curious to see what others think.

Tournament on PP 155 players, down to 40.
      blinds are 200/400 with antes at 25 if I remember correctly

I have a stack of 10000 and change no more then 10.5. Im under the gun with pocket sevens. I limp, villain middle position raises to 1600, all fold to me I call.

Flop 242, I check putting him on AK AQ maybe AJ. He bets 2100, I decide its shove or fold and I shove, he shows QQ which holds up.

is it right to play pairs like 6s or 7s from under the gun, and to continue on a raggish board?

Any constructive comments are greatly appreciated.

GL to all and thanks to those who took the time to read and answer this.
  • 6 replies
    • jonnyjm
      I'm not an MTT player but two things:

1) Why are you limping UTG with 25bb's? such a weak play. Just fold pre as you'll be OOP with shallow stack.

2) If someone raises a limp and c-bets on a 2-4-2 flop there range is deffinatley ALOT wider than AK-AQ-AJ.

The way you played this hand out you never at any point got any info on his hand to narrow his range. When all your chips go in on the flop his range is no smaller than it was when he raised pre, make any sense?
    • KozakFB
      Fold pre.

I think even limping here is dangerous UTG. Playing pocket pairs that aren't QQ+ will always be tough UTG and early positions.
    • purplefizz
      hey guys,

moving this to MTT Discussion board,

• gordy1957
      limp is ok but you do not have the odds to call the raise.
      post flop I lead out and fold to a push from tight players but call any maniacs
    • LooseDonk
      Thanks very much guys, I appreciate the help.
    • Asaban
      Fold pre would be the best option imo. I have no open limping range at all. Your hand is kinda faced up when you open limp. IF you decide to open limp you have to fold to the isolation raise. You don't get the odds to call on setvalue. Postflop you are out of options since your hand looks good at this board and you have no informations about your opponent at all. Therefore check/raise might be a adequate decision here. Nevertheless the hand was misplayed overall.