Apple OS instead of Windows

• VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      I have been using windows Vista till now. I have 2 format my laptop now bcos it got corrupted. I'm planning on installing an apple OS instead of installing windows again.
      I use my laptop mainly 2 play poker (I play full time).
      I use HEM1 and play in 888.
      Will HEM1 work perfectly in apple OS like it does in windows?
      Will I be able 2 do everything (poker related) in apple OS that I'm able 2 do in windows.?

Thanks in advance.

PS: If ur using an apple OS , please tell me what are the drawbacks (poker related), when compared 2 windows.
  • 9 replies
    • cure4pain
      cure4pain
      Bronze
      No you will not be able to run HEM on Mac OS.
      888 doesn't have a mac os poker client, so you will have to play using flash.

In essence, stick to windows for poker purposes.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Hem and 888 doesn't have Mac OS versions so to run them you would need to use like virtual box, where you install Windows and then all the poker software. Or you can do dual boot and have both Windows and MacOS installed and just choose which one you want on start up. I feel that you just want to play around with MacOS and basically best thing to do that would be just install Windows back and then get Virtualbox and install MacOS on virtualbox, so you get all the Windows functions but can still play around with MacOS when you feel like.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      Hem and 888 doesn't have Mac OS versions so to run them you would need to use like virtual box, where you install Windows and then all the poker software. Or you can do dual boot and have both Windows and MacOS installed and just choose which one you want on start up. I feel that you just want to play around with MacOS and basically best thing to do that would be just install Windows back and then get Virtualbox and install MacOS on virtualbox, so you get all the Windows functions but can still play around with MacOS when you feel like.
      +1

I have a macbook pro.

You can play on 888 in mac os. Problem is that it's an instant play version and you can only play 1 table I think.
      HEM doesn't work on max, PT3 on the other hand does. But then again no 888... Partypoker does have a mac version. And you would think party and PT3 would work. Well it doesn't... The format of your hand history can't be red by PT3.

What I did is install parallels (virtual box), installed windows xp (since it is smaller then windows 8) On xp you can't play on the cam tables though. With vista and window 8 you can.

Also take in mind that you laptop will get hot since you are running 2 OS.

If you do have any questions left, just ask. And if you want you can add me on Skype and I can show you my setup via join.me

EDIT: Pokerstars also have the software for mac. But not sure if it works with PT3 or not.

Regards
      RasTweet
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      +1

I have a macbook pro.

You can play on 888 in mac os. Problem is that it's an instant play version and you can only play 1 table I think.
      HEM doesn't work on max, PT3 on the other hand does. But then again no 888... Partypoker does have a mac version. And you would think party and PT3 would work. Well it doesn't... The format of your hand history can't be red by PT3.

What I did is install parallels (virtual box), installed windows xp (since it is smaller then windows 8) On xp you can't play on the cam tables though. With vista and window 8 you can.

If you do have any questions left, just ask. And if you want you can add me on Skype and I can show you my setup via join.me

EDIT: Pokerstars also have the software for mac. But not sure if it works with PT3 or not.

Regards
      RasTweet
      Do you have a time machine? Win 8 hasn't been released yet. :f_biggrin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      +1

I have a macbook pro.

Regards
      RasTweet
      Yes!! =D I do have a time machine! =D Oh this is legend! :p

Forgive me! It was with the best intentions! Whats the latest windows? Win7?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      +1

I have a macbook pro.

Regards
      RasTweet
      Yes!! =D I do have a time machine! =D Oh this is legend! :p

Forgive me! It was with the best intentions! Whats the latest windows? Win7?
      Ahahahha! Awesome reply is awesome!

Yeah, Win 7 is latest. Win 8 is being developped and probably released this year. Win Vista is between XP and 7 though and it's kind of a slower, more resource consuming version of Win 7.
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Hi All,
      Thanks 4 the very valuable advice guys :)
      I faced a lot of problems with Vista (viruses,etc). SO thought about installing apple OS.
      I play poker full time in 888 (4 table atleast) , so I guess I'll have 2 stick with windows.

PS: My laptop is pretty old, so I won't be able 2 install apple & windows OS.

• RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VISHMASTER
      Hi All,
      Thanks 4 the very valuable advice guys :)
      I faced a lot of problems with Vista (viruses,etc). SO thought about installing apple OS.
      I play poker full time in 888 (4 table atleast) , so I guess I'll have 2 stick with windows.

PS: My laptop is pretty old, so I won't be able 2 install apple & windows OS.

If you only use your laptop only to play poker, then yes stick to windows!
      And if you don't start downloading crap you shouldn't worry about viruses.

Best of luck!
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      If your laptop is strong enough to run Vista, install Win 7. It's more polished than Vista.

As for the viruses...use an antirus software. I use Avast and it's working great for me + Home edition is absolutely free. No virus problems whatsoever (I do watch not to download from shady links). Firewall is a great to have, too. ;)