Anger86

• Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm here because of another poker student - Sikac.
      Once I came up on this school stuff and started to read his thread.
      It was very interesting to see how he progresses/works hard. He like an inspiration for me.That alos means, that this school has to be good. So, I decided to try something from this.
      Btw, Good luck at the tables, dude!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation is that feeling, what you get, when you understand,
      that you can actually make money by making long-term decisions.
      I have forgotten, what is the feeling like.
      I was playing a long time ago. Then I skipped some time of playing since FTP broke.
      Now, I'm pretty bad at poker after this pause.
      It seems like I lost a lot of abilities and skills from my poker game.
      Or maybe I never really had any decent skills before. It's though now.
      So, my main motivation is to be a decent player. Also crushing NL10 is a skill at some level.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      1. I discovered lately, that I have some kind of a tilt problem called FPS.
      That means Fancy Play Syndrome. It's like over-thinking situations at the table.
      I could sometimes play more straight forward.
      2. Sometimes I'll try to win the money back, so I would be even for that day.
      3. I'm looking to much into cashier while playing and not only.
      The same counts for looking at Holdem Manager graphs, sessions stats, etc.
      4. Sometimes I have so called aggressive tilt, where I'll go all-in with not the best hands.
      I actually blame this mostly on my poor strategy knowledge.
      5. C-betting with air vs. loose players/calling stations and then giving up.
      So, I lose that c-bet pretty often.
      6. Playing at the bad table too long.
      7. OMG, this will be a long list. :f_p:
      8. If I see bad results with a hand, I might change strategy overall,
      although I don't have any idea, if this will be more/less profitable.
      I also blame this on poor strategy knowledge.
      9. Tight tilt - I'm giving up very much in BB/SB, when BU steals, for example.
      10. Playing too much tables. [In progress - getting better]
      11. Playing hands in a marginal way, when I don't have any information about Villain.
      12. I'm overreacting. Sometimes in the middle of a session I 'll just raise some more hands just because I think I haven't been raising for ages.
      13. I have to play after I come back from my job, but it's not a big one.
      I'll mostly sleep for one hour and will be pretty fresh to continue playing poker.
      14. Not adapting to my opponents and playing by the book, very rarely though,
      but definitely was the case, when I played 16+ tables some time ago.
      15. Have pretty bad ratio of playing and learning the game. [In progress - getting better]

Etc, etc. Maybe I'll add some stuff with time, when I remember something.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      I'll say it in my words.
      It means to be choosing hands selectively pre-flop and playing them mostly in aggressive approach.
  • 8 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey there Anger86,

Welcome to the Beginners Course!

It is definitely the right place for you to improve yourself as a Cash game player! You've listed a few weaknesses and I'm sure with Veriz' help, you can plug those gaps and become a stronger player :)

All the best,
      Gary
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

That's really good that you pointed out so many leaks of yours. At least you think about them and definitely now you will even realize them a lot more that you should be fixing them.

1. I discovered lately, that I have some kind of a tilt problem called FPS.That means Fancy Play Syndrome. It's like over-thinking situations at the table.I could sometimes play more straight forward.

Guess you are not the only one. There are a lot of people who play the same way, they just want to be sheriff on the table and win all the pots. Although most likely they wont. And from the experience I have had with students it's more often that you keep losing all the money. By either overplaying your hand, bluffing in wrong spots, calling the river etc. So try to understand at first point the basic straight forward play and then adjust your game according your level.

2. Sometimes I'll try to win the money back, so I would be even for that day.

Another cruel mistake. Try using stop-loss if you haven't used it yet. Hopefully you know what's it. :P

3. I'm looking to much into cashier while playing and not only.

The same counts for looking at Holdem Manager graphs, sessions stats, etc.

Rather stop it right now, trust me. You just make yourself tilt a lot more and which causes you tilting and losing more money. ;) If you can't be calm because of checking it and of course it also distracts and you lose your concentration rather don't do it. Force yourself! Always say before you going to Cashier during the came that what you supposed to do on the tables.

4. Sometimes I have so called aggressive tilt, where I'll go all-in with not the best hands.I actually blame this mostly on my poor strategy knowledge.

Stop-Loss again helps. :) Till you manage to adjust to tilt.

5. C-betting with air vs. loose players/calling stations and then giving up.So, I lose that c-bet pretty often.

Well, why do you want to bluff out a loose opponent at all? Rather just wait for hand, that easy and simple is poker. :P

6. Playing at the bad table too long.

Wouldn't say it's bad but if it affects your game and you continue playing not A-game then -> it's bad. :) Try separating sessions, like 1h+30mins break, 1h+30mins break and etc. Try also maybe even watch videos between that or before session and do a small warm-up.

7. OMG, this will be a long list.

That's only good for you. :)

8. If I see bad results with a hand, I might change strategy overall,although I don't have any idea, if this will be more/less profitable.
      I also blame this on poor strategy knowledge.

With time and experience we get better and everyday we expand our knowledge. No matter who we are. :D

9. Tight tilt - I'm giving up very much in BB/SB, when BU steals, for example.

That's not bad, if you can't adjust your game and know that you ain't have a huge edge on the opponent then you can just fold it as well.

10. Playing too much tables. [In progress - getting better]

Good! Because it usually is rather bad than good to play way too many tables. You don't learn much with playing too many tables.

11. Playing hands in a marginal way, when I don't have any information about Villain.

Then treat him as unknown and rather tight-passive. :)

12. I'm overreacting. Sometimes in the middle of a session I 'll just raise some more hands just because I think I haven't been raising for ages.

Well, you can adjust your game but when you feel also that you are doing great with it. If you don't have hands then it doesn't mean that you going to start to raise 72o from UTG. :D

13. I have to play after I come back from my job, but it's not a big one.I'll mostly sleep for one hour and will be pretty fresh to continue playing poker.

Sleeping usually helps, but I am kind of adjusted. That's true that work can be stressy but overall it should be still possible to play profitable and a-game. :) With time you will also adjust.

14. Not adapting to my opponents and playing by the book, very rarely though,but definitely was the case, when I played 16+ tables some time ago.

Well, you can't really adept if you play 16+ tables. :D Unless you are some genius or have a lot of experience.

15. Have pretty bad ratio of playing and learning the game. [In progress - getting better]

Time to start to if you want to become good and earn some extra money-to-s. :D

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for such a solid response veriz.

Another cruel mistake. Try using stop-loss if you haven't used it yet. Hopefully you know what's it. :P
      ATM I'm not using this rule :( .
      I was just thinking about it. Tell me what you think about this.
      When I play at the table and lose 2BI = 200 bb's, then I should quit playing for a day.
      Sounds good?

Rather stop it right now, trust me. You just make yourself tilt a lot more and which causes you tilting and losing more money. ;) If you can't be calm because of checking it and of course it also distracts and you lose your concentration rather don't do it. Force yourself! Always say before you going to Cashier during the game that what you supposed to do on the tables.
      I'll try to force myself.
      1st quote = Stop-loss, where I have to quit playing poker for a day after losing 2BI.
      2nd quote = never look in the cashier.
      Then, how do I know when I lost those 2 BI, because I can lose 1 BI, win 1/4 BI, lose 1/2 BI, win 1/2 BI ... etc. In the end I'm not too sure how am I doing, when do I stop?
      Once, a long time ago, I was using some kind of trick.
      I had 4 coins. Each coin meant 1/2 BI. So, when I lost 1 BI, then I took 2 coins and put then from one place to another. 1/3 = I used as a 1 coin, I guess.
      I did the same for winnings, too. When I won 50bb's then I put the coin back.
      There was also one trick, which I used:
      - If I've won, for example, 7 BI, then I'll anyway quit, if I lose 2BI afterwards.
      I guess, QQvAK doesn't count for me. Or my AA vs AK. etc.
      Do you know some other system for this counting?

Also, how to do , when I have 28 BI for the NL10, but then I lose a bit below 25BI,
      then I'm not sure, where I'm at with my BR and want to look in the cashier.
      I'm sure doesn't happen often = changing limits, up or down.

That's ATM, what I wanted to ask, but I'll go through the list a few more times and maybe ask something later.

Thanks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yes, sounds good. Depends on the table amounts you play. You can always move up the limit for stop-loss.

Do you know some other system for this counting?

Focusing on the tables while playing should give you enough of information, at least I can see like when I lose and how much I lose. Especially if you have just 2BI rule then it should be pretty easy to see. Plus of course if you think you are down that amount then just go to near the clock and Check your tracker how much you are down. :P

Cashier is pretty much useful to watch, you will just tilt more because of seeing it. :D Try to avoid it and rather concentrate on the tables.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hi, veriz!

Time spent for poker: I've been pretty lazy poker wise lately. Woman, woman, woman. I can’t let this to waste my time too much, so I’ll plan my time better. ;)

Auto-piloting: I’m thinking about playing 4-6 tables. Reason is auto-piloting. The list you made for me in the last session is very valuable to me. Now, I just have to put some time into it. It might take a lot of time, as my leaks are pretty huge.

Long/mid-term strategy: Main effort is to follow BRM and also follow your instructions. (I’ll talk about my BRM later with you)

Short-term strategy: As I said, I’ll follow you instructions for the most part. That means, I’ll take my list of leaks and do it first. Some closer guidelines would be very much appreciated. I could start with posting and studying this, for example:

1. Big pots, where I have AKo, AKs, QQ, JJ. For start, when I open from UTG and MP. Then other positions open. Afterwards, when I flat with those hands vs. UTG and MP;

2. Pots, where I have to 3bet for value with wider range.

This should be enough for the start. I’ll change something, when we both think I’m ready to focus on something else.
      This looks OK for me, because you’ll know better, what I have to do with my game.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, I would say that real life is an important role of poker player. You can't only play/play/play, also must have fun which includes parties and women. ;) Somehow have to kill the stressful days and bad runs in poker. Also visiting gym or something similar might help.

Great that the list is working for you, more is coming up soon. :)

It seems that you already have started putting a lot more effort into poker than you ever done those past years, am I correct? :f_biggrin:
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      It seems that you already have started putting a lot more effort into poker than you ever done those past years, am I correct? :f_biggrin:
      Thanks for you fast reply veriz.
      I would like to think that on average it is true, but I remember certain moments in the past, where I was working my ass off.

So, those peak moments were better, than my average now.

What I think is better now = I'm concentrating more on those spots,
      where it will be more +EV to change my game.
      It's a big part, that you can help me with those tips:
      1. Where should I start?
      2. How do I work about it?
      3. Also, you see, what I can't see, if I even really try hard.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You should start with whatever suits the best, like everyone does. Read articles, watch videos - especially new ones cause they have new material and of course overview your sessions and post hands.

Everything will come with time and not just few with days/months. ;)