FL Player?

• Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      For all the FL players out there, is it true that FL is better for you if you are inclined in math? Can you win big money in FL?

I'm an NL player considering to invest my time in studying FL because of its math aspect. I'm an applied mathematics major and I think it would be better for me to try FL given my course. Any comments? Thanks! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • 6 replies
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Both NL and FL require some basic understanding of the mathematics behind the game, I wouldn't say one requires more "math" than the other but FL does have quite a lot of understanding of equity percentages and hand ranges needed to excel at the upper limits.
    • onezb
      onezb
      Bronze
      In my opinion, the math involved while _playing_ is very basic in both NL and FL. The concepts behind FL may be a bit more math-intensive than the concepts behind NL (just an assumption). However, to understand and follow these concepts, you probably don't really need a math background at all, just some basic common sense :)
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      Hmmm... with that said, I guess I'll stick with NL. Thanks a lot guys!
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      One major difference between NL an FL are when drawing: In NL you can call more or less any draw profitably on the flop, if you are up against a fish who will stack off to you if you hit your draw later, since you have so good implied odds. In FL you have to calculate your odds more explicit since the betting sizes are fixed (Do'h) and offers much lower implied odds. So you have to be able to do basic pot-odds calculations decently (or get a program to do it for you if you are too lazy or too bad at math).. Speaking of math btw:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/199

Very impressive video :)

Best regards and good luck,
      Mugge
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mugge88
      One major difference between NL an FL are when drawing: In NL you can call more or less any draw profitably on the flop, if you are up against a fish who will stack off to you if you hit your draw later, since you have so good implied odds. In FL you have to calculate your odds more explicit since the betting sizes are fixed (Do'h) and offers much lower implied odds. So you have to be able to do basic pot-odds calculations decently (or get a program to do it for you if you are too lazy or too bad at math).. Speaking of math btw:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/199

Very impressive video :)

Best regards and good luck,
      Mugge
      That guy is seriously crazy good. Good analysis of the situation as well :) The concepts (equity percentages and hand ranges) do get quite complex if your playing FL like a science - but in practice both formats require similar amounts of actual applied math (since you can also get very mathematical in NL as well)
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      Is that real? He has a little white headphone on....fishy.... :D