Time to drop down

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Getting my hole reamed at Party right now. Coolers and suck outs until I've ducked under good BRM for NL10. Not even tilted but have pissed away 4 buy ins in about 2hrs, poker is futile. Not sure if I'm running bad or what, maybe I'll post some hands - maybe it's me.

Really don't want to drop down in limits cos I barely care about the money I'm playing for now. Playing NL5 is plain depressing. Anyone else have to drop down? How do you cope with it? Wouldn't mind so much if I considered it temporary; gonna be one of those guys who fuck away their roll and then post a heart-felt "goodbye". Can't help but shed a tear :) .
  • 6 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Losing 4 BI's is nothing new deezer79, no need to beat yourself up :)

I've had a good few sessions where I've lost 3-4 BI's but if you continue to play well, you'll get the back. Do you know about Variance?

You should post all the hands where you've lost the most $$ so that they can be reviewed, this way you'll know if it was bad play or just plain unlucky, either way its a Win / Win for you! You either played them right, or get advise how to plug a leak! :D

Moving down the limits can hit you quite hard, it may take a while for you to get your head around it though :( If anything moving down should can give you more motivation to learn, review your game & improve so that you can jump back up! Just play your A-Game all the time and get back up to NL10 :s_cool:

If you feel a little bit down, DO NOT play, wait a couple of days, watch some videos and get the motivation back, then start destroying those NL5 tables!!!

Best of luck :)
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Thanks for the reply MattDenness :) . I know a 4 BI drop in one session isn't a hell of a lot but the roll has been dipping for some time now. Feeling pretty bad about poker right now so I think it is time for a break, maybe some study but stay away from the tables. Played a SnG with my PS $50 BR at Poker770 and made me take the swing less personally: my QQ vs 22 and my AK vs KJ = busto! Seems I'm destined to suck everywhere.

I think that I have a decent understanding of variance and I tolerate it (what choice do we have) but at times it makes me wonder how I'm supposed to make any long term profit off this game. Need to study more about it, might be more willing to get it in bad - perhaps that's the answer :) .

Bring on NL5! Might have to multi-table more than usual to peak my interest but I can't play NL10 right now.

Posted a couple of hands I lost big on so hoping I can get some input on those. Had a hard time posting as the site requests (asked for clarification on the thread). Cheers!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      No problem :) Just make sure that you quit playing at the slightest sign of tilt, unless you learn to control it.

I'd suggest you stick with the amount of tables you currently play (which is?) until you're confident enough that you can beat your limit & control that tilt of course, the last thing you want is tilt on more tables!! :f_biggrin:

Posting hands is so under-rated, put Veriz (Hand Judge) to good use!

Had a hard time posting as the site requests (asked for clarification on the thread)

I don't understand what you mean there?

Looks like the NL Beginner Course would be perfect for you too (Don't let the Beginner part put you off). You will be guided through the most appropriate Articles & Videos to help you improve whilst also being able to speak with our Coach Veriz who will be able to answer ANY questions you want to ask.
      It personally change my results dramatically, from a constant loser, to a steady winner :s_biggrin:

If you want to know any more about the course, give me a shout!
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Really can't get motivated behind dropping to NL5 so will give NL10 another shot. Kind of gave it a semi-shot earlier but only played about 250 hands. Started off great but all it takes is one bad hero call or an ill-timed bluff and the leaks start to come. Would love to study more and maybe will try this beginners course - hard to find? Once I got bronze status I began looking at the various vids of coach's playing NL10 and tbh, didn't feel I was learning much. The tough spots I find myself in just don't come up (guess that's what hand analysis is for) and the points that did come up seemed standard and I would have acted the same way. Please let me know about this course. Am eager to find some training that works for me.

It's clear I have been playing too agro and need to chill a bit. Learn to let go of moderate holdings when people I know are passive are pushing. Clearly have developed a new form of tilt for me which is "can't believe you could have rivered me, fuck you and take all my money"...madness. Feel that I have that in check now but earlier I talked myself into following someone to the river when I had top pair. Board was wet with draws and when none of them hit, I assumed I was good. What's to learn then? When someone's barreling into you, always lay down? Didn't play agro then, just stubborn.

I was playing 5-6 tables but now I feel I should only play 3. Felt more comfortable playing 3 and gave myself more time to make decisions. When it comes to BRM I try to stick to the 30BI rule...does that mean I should drop down as soon as I go below $300 for NL10? Have dropped $50 since playing at Party. Seems wrong that if someone is moving up to NL10 when they hit $300 that they should drop back down as soon as they lose a BI. Have decided that if I lose 2 more BIs then I'm off to NL5 (tho won't like it).

What I meant about posting hands is that this site wants you to convert them in a certain way. There's a guide for doing it through HEM but it's just not working for me. Tells me to go through a tab in the top left corner of the hand replayer and it's not there for me. Never did get an answer (got the analysis tho).
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      My apologies, I forgot to add the link in the text :D

Edited in, Messaged you it & posting it here!
      :heart: NL Beginner School

I think you're playing too Agrro as you're trying to win the cash you've previously lost, too quickly! Got to play your A-Game and be patient.
      Looks like you have a couple of my old Leaks "Trying to be the Hero" & "Not Believing anyone" ? You've got to learn how to give up ! This canb be difficult as you always think you've just folded the best hand, and it makes no sense right? But once you start making these good folds, and posting them into Hand Evaluation and the Coach says "Good Fold!" you'll start doing it alot more often :)

Converting hands - Are you using HEM1 or HEM2?

I would advise you play 4 Tables at max, this gives you plenty of time to think about the hand you're in and even analysis it after so that you learn for next time. As for BRM, I've always wondered about this myself, but its more of a general rule that you have around 25BI's for the limit. I look at it like this... I'll grind up to $250 in NL5, so I now have 25BI's for NL10, I would now give NL10 a shot risking around 3BI's & if it doesn't work, I'll drop back to NL5 until I reach $250 again.

This is becoming a massive Wall of Text thread lol..
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Patience isn't usually an issue with me but lately I have been working on becoming much more agrro and just haven't found a balance yet. I make tons of laydowns which I think are reasonable, might a check-raise in position to see what the guy does next but there's the occasional one I just can't get away from. Loving using HEM2 but not sure I have the hang of using the information it gives me. If PFR is non-existent or a small percentage of VPIP and the guy is betting into me, I know I should back off. Pride's a bitch sometimes tho :) .

Feel much better about your 25BI rule and am still comfortable playing NL10. Just need to learn more and balance patience with aggression more effectively. I get so frustrated when I win a buy-in or two and through coolers or bad-reads, start to piss the profit away. Tilts me, I want to keep playing to make the money back but I know I'm not playing at my best.

Not a great sample but over 2447 hands at Party my VPIP is 17, PFR 11 and Agg% is 31.4. Don't know if that tells you anything about my play? Seem to be all over the place when multi-tabling...one table says I'm loose-passive, other says I'm a rock and another says I'm loose-aggressive. Having an identity crisis! LOL. My graphs look depressing so don't want to post one :) .

Looking forward to the Beginner School. Thanks for the link.