[NL2-NL10] Q9

• carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $4.08 (102 bb)
      MP: $1.61 (40.3 bb)
      BB: $4 (100 bb)
      SB: $2.45 (61.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4.42 (110.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q 9
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, SB folds, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.34) 9 A J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.24, BB calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.82) Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.58, BB raises to $3.60 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.02

River: ($8.02) 4 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

?( ?(
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, carrapa.

It's difficult to know what to do if we don't have information on the villain. Does he raise often and with draws? Or only with the nuts?

Unfortunately, I think the standard there would be to bet/fold the turn. KT and T8 completed straights and there are so many better two pair than ours (AJ, AQ, A9, QJ).

Even if we are ahead (which will happen only some times) the opponents hand might have a very nice equity against us (with pair+draw type of hands) and the price we have to pay is just too high (we still had 75BB behind).

Our hand seems strong (it's two pair) but on that board it's actually not so much. Especially to play for stacks.
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      yeah, now I do realize it was a bad play from me :D
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by carrapa
      yeah, now I do realize it was a bad play from me :D
      It's a common mistake, don't worry. I do those calls on occasion too (and always facepalm myself after that :D ). It's easy to get carried away when we think we have a strong hand. Problem is: if we look closer, the opponent will often have a strongER hand there - or at least won't be much behind with a strong draw.

Keep working on your game and you're on a good path ;)