Hi and possibly goodbye?

• tjwat3rs
      tjwat3rs
      Bronze
      Hi i'm tj from ireland, i said i'd say hello.

I've been playing poker for a while now but recently i'm trying hard to improve my game.

But i feel like i'm the most unlucky player ever, constantly getting bad beats. Most recent example that happened a few hours ago

I'm bb looking down at 5 :heart: 7 :club:

flop comes 7 :diamond: 5 :spade: 7 :spade:

guy goes all in, scares everyone off and i call

he shows 6 :spade: 8 :spade:

i'm happy as larry when the turn hits 9 :spade:

-------------------------------------------------

few hands before that i have pocket tens hit the set on the flop, short stack moves all in i called he turns over pocket aces and hits his ace on the river.

Think i'm gonna give poker a break for a while, might spend a few weeks just studying and further trying to improve and hope things get better lol

But yeah hey everyone. :P
  • 8 replies
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      well you came to the righ place.

tons of people bitch about the same shit you do(including me). it helps i think.

you wanna get better? do as i say and you will laugh off these bad beats! and say oh well it's only 100bb

1. start reading the bronze aticles
      2.watch all of the bronze videos
      3. get an affiliate account so you can access the silver articles
      4. read all of these articles
      5. post hands when you know why you should post hands
      6. do this for someone else when they say hi and bye in the future

GL
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sucker1952
      well you came to the righ place.

tons of people bitch about the same shit you do(including me). it helps i think.

you wanna get better? do as i say and you will laugh off these bad beats! and say oh well it's only 100bb

1. start reading the bronze aticles
      2.watch all of the bronze videos
      3. get an affiliate account so you can access the silver articles
      4. read all of these articles
      5. post hands when you know why you should post hands
      6. do this for someone else when they say hi and bye in the future

GL
      +1 and thank you sucker1952

Hey TJ, hope you are well? What part of Ireland are you from? I am from Roscommon myself and it's definitely nice to see some fellow Irish players around these parts.

Unfortunately, bad beats are gonna happen. The thing is though, when we are at the end of the bad beat it means we played our hand correctly and we lost.

We can't do any better than get the cards in good, can we?

Are you playing cash games and have you had much experience?

Will do my very best to help you out if you drop back and give me some more info!

All the very best,
      Gary
    • tjwat3rs
      tjwat3rs
      Bronze
      Hi Gary, i'm down in Tipperary.

Story so far is i'm 20 now and i started to watch to watch poker on tv when i was about 17-18 (got into it that way).

Played a few home games with friends, nothing crazy fiver a man type tournys. Then last june i opened a poker account with paddy power (TJWAT3RS), played .01-.02NL i was the type of lad who got bored fast and went all in very easily which obviously led me to start losing.

I gave it a break for a while then at christmas i decided i'd try it again, started off well but lost a big pot and was back down again, started to play a few freerolls which i enjoyed i came 6th In januarys Student Masters Freeroll and i won a ticket to a 10 man tourny where an ipad 2 was up for grabs and €100 fo 2nd, i got knocked out about 7th-8th they were way out of my league. Thats prob my career highlight so far lol

But lately i'm trying to improve, i'm studying the articles on here and trying to make myself a better player cuz to be honest i'm tired of being bad lol.

I now understand about controling my bakroll, playing in and out of position and not freaking out and going all in when i get K K.

Here's how my "grades" look on poker table ratings

Grade

Pre-Flop Tightness

You are 158% looser than optimal. Tighten up a lot! F

Pre-Flop Aggression

You are 19% less aggressive than optimal. Be a little more aggressive. B

Flop Aggression

You are 26% less aggressive than optimal. Be somewhat more aggressive. C

Turn Aggression

You are 7% less aggressive than optimal. Good Work! A

River Aggression

You are 51% more aggressive than optimal. Be a lot less aggressive! F

Showdown Frequency

You showdown 54% more often than optimal. Know when to fold F

Overall Grade F
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey TJ!

Never too late to improve yourself :)

To be honest, I would not pay a whole lot of attention to PTR rankings. Although they can be a good indicator of how well you are doing.

Firstly, when settling down to play you should choose what game i.e Cash, SNG, MTT.

If you are playing cash thing I believe joining in our beginners' course is the right option for you. You will learn a huge amount this way than reading articles, watching videos or playing imo.

Many of our members will swear by this course and I think it should be your first stop!

The link is in my signature below if you are willing to try it out.

All the best,
      Gary
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Hi Tj from your neighbour down south in the rebel county ;) ,the real home of hurling as you know deep down.Great advice from Gary and get cracking on that beginners course.Poker can be a brutal game at times so how you deal with the downsides and beats have a massive effect on the player you become.Enjoy the site and you will learn alot.See you in the Munster final in a few months.
    • tjwat3rs
      tjwat3rs
      Bronze
      Thanks lads for the warm welcome, what a gem of a website this is sorry i didn't find it sooner.

Thanks for the steer onto the beginners course gonna have a look at it now and maybe start a blog on my progress to keep people updated.
    • BlackmanCR11
      BlackmanCR11
      Silver
      Man , just enjoy the game :)
      I am on a megadownswing already 2 months and I feel Ok ....
      Just relax :) Too much donks = -----EV lol

[IMG][img=http://s15.postimage.org/3vly82obr/win.jpg][/IMG]
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hows it coming along tjwat3rs? Started playing some poker again? :f_cool: