[NL2-NL10] 2NL ATs turn decision vs. Maniac

• johnnygambleseed
      johnnygambleseed
      Bronze
      2NL
      I had just opened the table. After 9 hands
      Villain is 37.50/37.50/∞
      2/2 3Bet PF 1/1 4bet PF (all 3 times his opponents folded PF)

I usually fold ATs but I was in position, likely was ahead of his range and wanted to play a pot against him to get his stack. I didn't want to 3 bet to bloat pot PF so I called.

iPoker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 10 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

LP: $7.46
      CO: $1.45
      Hero (BTN): $2.00
      SB: $5.61
      BB: $0.68
      UTG: $2.03
      UTG+1: $2.39
      MP: $1.00
      MP+1: $4.32
      MP+2: $2.15

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has T:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.06, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.06, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.15, 2 players) 9:spade: J:spade: 5:diamond:
      MP+1 bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11

I called flop because he is c-betting 100% and I am probably ahead. Should I have raised flop with FD + 1 likely good over instead?

Turn: ($0.37, 2 players) 8:diamond:
      MP+1 bets $0.27, Hero?

At this point I pick up 6 more outs but I am a bit lost as to what to do. My first instinct was to call again as I am now likely a dog if he did hit something on the flop and hope to hit on river. Would raise or even fold be better?

Thank you for help it is my first hand posted ever much longer than I thought it would take to post lol!
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello johnnygambleseed,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

I usually fold ATs but I was in position, likely was ahead of his range and wanted to play a pot against him to get his stack. I didn't want to 3 bet to bloat pot PF so I called.

Why do you think you are ahead against MP1 range? You just have 9 hands on him so we can't really make assumptions. And because the hand is suited doesn't make it much better. You may easily start overplaying TP type of hands.

Most likely if you play such hands then I would threw a raise on the flop to gain fold equity. As you said he range is wide and he is CBetting 100%. But otherwise on the turn is kind of complicated cause we don't know how good our implied odds there are and what kind of outs are clean for us. He could as well have for example already QT. But of course overall if you think you are getting the implied odds then calling the turn should be fine.

Best Regards.