The Path to a Better Life?

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Hey All,

So, I'm starting a new blog, probably my fourth :f_confused: My previous blogs never got past two pages because I was a fish and gave up at the first sign of some sick variance, which of course was compounded by my many leaks.

For those that don't know, my name is Liam, I'm 28yrs old and live just outside of Manchester in the UK. I've been playing poker since my registration date here with mixed success. I crush NL2 SH and am a marginal winner at NL5 SH. I either completely suck at sng's or I run super bad in them - I've played plenty and lost a lot overall but whenever I hit a real bad run I always ditched them for some other variant rather than grinding it out so I guess I'll never know. I've banned myself from sng's on Stars for the sake of my BR & Sanity.

Up until around April 2011 the only variant I had beaten over a decent sample was NL5 FR and NL2 SH but for some reason got owned badly at NL5 SH. Then, along came a PS member called M3ta, an NL50 reg and thoroughly decent bloke who I struck a coaching deal with. He very quickly turned my game around at NL5 and I soon moved to NL10 where after 17k hands I'd lost 15 stacks. I think that for sure I ran bad but also I had\have some serious leaks that M3ta hadn't had time to find and deal with. I'd moved back to NL5 and was winning again up until June 2011 when I started a new job and thought best to focus on that so I cashed out, paid M3ta what I owed him and gave up on Poker until this year.

I started with $20 on new years day and now I have $85. I've been playing NL2 SH, some NL5 SH and some NL10 SH as I was moving up with aggro BRM but some NL5\10 run bad sent me back to NL2 with the odd NL5 shot.

Here is my graph for NL2 - NL10 since my coaching with M3ta..

And stats to go with the graph..

OK, so the point to this blog. I want to be better... a LOT better. My partner of 9 years will be made redundant in April and we have two young children so it makes sense for her to be a housewife rather than go back to work until the kids start school. This means that my wages will be our only income and I only earn an average wage so we will be skint. I need to earn some money elsewhere and I think poker is my best shot.

Here's the plan: 20-25 hours a week will be put in to poker, 4hrs of this will be study and the rest of the time will be spent playing. I take shots from 15 buy-ins for a level until I hit NL25 and then I'll nit the BRM up but until then I don't mind moving up\down a lot. My lower limit is $50 at which point I play NL2. I'm really quite comfortable playing NL2 with 25 BI's so for now until $150 I play NL5.

Goals:

:diamond: Identify at least one area of my game to work on each week and spend my study time on that area.

:diamond: Post at least 10 hands a week here and in the hand evaluation forums for review.

:diamond: Concentrate on playing well rather than results.

Apologies for the long intro, from here I hope the blog will get and stay interesting. I will really appreciate any input from the community on my stats, thoughts and any hands I post. If I fail to progress this time around I will be giving up on poker for good... It takes far too much time from my family so it's only worth it if I can improve our quality of life. We should know whether or not I'm cut out for it within the next 3-4 months I guess!

Thanks for reading :)
  • 24 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      My first study area and a bit of background...

There is a nice chap who is a member here called Greedyfly. I've been chatting to him since early last year and recently been trying to help him with his game. I was doing a sweat session with him the other night and was trying to give advice on his opening ranges when I spotted a leak of my own which I very nearly passed on to him.

The leak is opening too light on the button against unknown blinds and isolating too wide against fish so I've come up with some ranges for the micros and here they are.. Any input is welcome. If I've generated a preflop leak here I'd like to hear about it!

EP Open Range (8.14%) : 77+, ATs+, KJs+, AQo+, KQo

MP Open Range (13.73%): 22+, A9s+, KJs+, QJs, ATo+, KJo+

CO Open Range (23.08%): 22+, A2s+, K9s+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, J9o+, T9o

BU Open Range (31.22%): 22+, A2s+, K4s+, Q5s+, J6s+, T7s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, A9o+, KTo+, QTo+, J9o+, T9o, 98o

Iso Range (25.49%): 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q8s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, A9o+, KTo+, QTo+, J9o+, T9o

SB Open Range (23.38%): 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o

Please note, this is a FR range that I think will keep us out of trouble - For SH just ignore the EP range. I know of course that this may be close to the PS SHC but this is what I thought would be a good standard OR range when I spent some time with Equilab yesterday.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      My next study area will be blind defense. Currently I play it by ear if you like, I kind of just go with the flow and it works for me but I think having some standard ranges as the core of my game would be best and then work from there as I progress through the limits...

I tend to 3bet regs in the CO\BU regularly if they can fold to a 3bet but I don't have a standard range for this. I hate calling from the blinds generally but it's obviously not +EV to 3bet every hand we play in the blinds..

I was thinking something along the lines of 3bet 22-66 + all broadways and QQ+ against CO\BU OR. Call with 77-JJ and fold everything else.

The problem then comes with what range to play against other positions and how to play it? Obviously, 3betting 22-66 against a UTG open isn't going to be good so perhaps they're a fold. I don't see a SH UTG open range being tight enough to pay off a full stack every time we hit a set with small pairs so I don't like the idea of calling either. If we 3bet broadways against utg open then we never know if we're dominated on the flop so I guess we should just 3bet a value range in this case? This seems to nitty though :f_confused:

Any thoughts on this are very welcome!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Welcome, or should I be saying Re-Welcome to the Blog section :D

Wish you the best of luck in moving up the limits!
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Thanks Matt... One thing I can say for sure is that this will be my last blog ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Thanks Matt... One thing I can say for sure is that this will be my last blog ;)
      that's what they all say
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey there!

Your blogtitle caught my attention, as I'm on a "path to a better life" aswell :)

I really like your attitude and dedication! Will be fun to see where you can take this :)

If you need any advice or have questions, you can always hit me on up skype: voenki

Good luck!
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Hey Vonki,

You'll probably regret offering help\advice on Skype hehe I have a lot of questions! Feel free to throw some input into my blind defense thoughts. I think this is something I need to work on. Playing it as I do at the moment yields ok results but as I move up I'm sure it won't be good enough!

NightFrosta... I know, starting blogs seems to be addictive! It's a shame that following them through is so difficult. This one will carry on until I either hit the nosebleeds or go broke :s_cool:
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Sounds good, where abouts near Manchester are you? I grew up around Manchester :D
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Sounds good, where abouts near Manchester are you? I grew up around Manchester :D
      I actually live in Leigh so more Wigan than Manchester but used to live in Rusholme, Withington then Stretford which is where my missus was born and bred. Classy chick ;)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Welcome back to our blogs section Liam :)

btw, it's your fifth blog with us, may 2012 be your year, Good luck!

Ingrid
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Stretford ftw :s_cool: :f_biggrin: I used to live in Urmstonbefore moving to Macclesfield in Cheshire.

Now i'm in the middle of nowhere...
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Stretford ftw :s_cool: :f_biggrin: I used to live in Urmstonbefore moving to Macclesfield in Cheshire.

Now i'm in the middle of nowhere...
      Cheshire eh? Your Dad a footballist? :p

You still at Uni in the middle of nowhere?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Welcome back to our blogs section Liam :)

btw, it's your fifth blog with us, may 2012 be your year, Good luck!

Ingrid
      My fifth blog eh? Better make this a good un then :f_grin:
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hahaha not the posh part of Cheshire ;)

Nah not at Uni in the middle of nowhere, finished at Newcastle last year and have moved back home, which is now the middle of nowhere :f_biggrin: Lake District if you were interested :p
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Grats on finishing uni :s_cool: Hope you did well!

The Lake District is a pretty beautiful place to be! Couldn't deal with the lack of nightlife (fatties, oh erm I mean fitties in short skirts) on a Friday night tho!
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      And my first love, after my kids of course:

Did an hour here a couple of weeks back but two seconds off fastest lap Grrr Will be closer next time!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Grats on finishing uni :s_cool: Hope you did well!

The Lake District is a pretty beautiful place to be! Couldn't deal with the lack of nightlife (fatties, oh erm I mean fitties in short skirts) on a Friday night tho!
      Yeah it's good for a holiday, living here gets dulllllll though, especially after coming from Manchester and then going to Newcastle for Uni :D

Not to mention it's full of farmer and inbreds :p
    • m3ta
      m3ta
      Bronze
      Gl mate :)
      Glad u r back :f_cool:
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by m3ta
      Gl mate :)
      Glad u r back :f_cool:
      Thanks dude :s_biggrin:

Lifetime NL5 SH Graph... Hands up who can spot when my coaching with m3ta started...

I'll give you a clue... It's about the time I started running below ev ;)