Raising from Big Blind

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Ok I'm new to NL Short Handed and I play NL5.

I do this thing everytime in the big blind, when everyone folds and the small blind just completes I raise no matter what shit I have. Its like if he doesn't steal my blinds then I'll steal his. I figure that I have position and if he's not gonna raise then I might as well end the hand right now.

I've been successful with this as almost everytime they end up folding but was wondering if this is the right move and don't wanna make a bad habit of it.
  • 6 replies
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ohmesohrny
      Nothing wrong with it imo. Especially at 5nl where most players are weak. Just be prepared to cbet almost always when called regardless of what u have.

As long it is working continue to do it
      Sorry to be off topic, but your sig about this 15% really a TRUE thing?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RobertDaPro
      Originally posted by ohmesohrny
      Nothing wrong with it imo. Especially at 5nl where most players are weak. Just be prepared to cbet almost always when called regardless of what u have.

As long it is working continue to do it
      Sorry to be off topic, but your sig about this 15% really a TRUE thing?
      Spam and removed ;)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Yeah, I do this too, but I play only NL2.

If I have real crap, I might just check, but if I check, and SB checks the flop, I'll make a small bet -- again regardless of cards.

If SB leads out on such a flop, I'll just fold, and I've only lost my blind anyway.

Problem comes when you have some kind of monster, and it gets folder round to SB and he completes. I hate that.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      yeah i think its pretty standard to raise when sb completes just dont forget to fold if they play back at you ;)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Not standard play to raise any two cards.

We need to know how often he limp/folds Pre-Flop or check/folds on the Flop. If he does it really often then yes, you can go ahead.

If he is a station and likes to call Flops and Turns, then raising a crap hand like 32o is burning money.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by mbml
      Not standard play to raise any two cards.

We need to know how often he limp/folds Pre-Flop or check/folds on the Flop. If he does it really often then yes, you can go ahead.

If he is a station and likes to call Flops and Turns, then raising a crap hand like 32o is burning money.
      Thanks for that. I have changed my play ever since I wrote that. What I do now is when i sit in a new room and have an unknown player to my right who just limps I raise a few times to see how he reacts. If he folds a lot I do it more often but I keep checking too sometimes so that its not too obvious.

Some of them do have the habit of calling and have a high fold to C-Bet percentage and I take them down with a C-Bet. If I encounter someone who doesn't limp/fold a lot or doesn't fold a lot to C-Bet too then I just don't bother anymore.

But in a new room I always play a bit loose initially in these situations just to see how he plays and to get some stats on him. :)