Two questions

• CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      1) According to the Sklansky groups, statistically speaking, what % of the time do group 1 hands win, group 2, etc?

2) How many times, statistically speaking, will the river card win you a hand as opposed to a losing hand? I ask this because I played in a SNG where 4 times I had the winning hand going to the river and lost but at no other time where I was behind did it help me win.
  • 11 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      about 50/50
    • CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      For which question is that answer for and on what info do you base this on? This sounds like a guess to me.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      lolz
      dunno what Sklansky groups are, sorry.
      2) Say you push and are an 80% favorite (e.g. against opponent's OESD or flush draw, all-in on the turn), how often do you think you'll win?
      Tough, I know.
    • CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      Why post a response if you know not what you speak less you just wanna pad your post count? I'm trying to ask a legitimate question and I've tried googling the answer but can't find it. My question to you is how long have you been playing poker where you don't know what the Sklansky groups are?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Statistically speaking you can easily figure out those answers by using Equilator from our download area: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/

Simply take any specific group you want (Eg. group1 so AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AKs) and calculate its equity vs. whatever range you are trying to figure out the equity against.

The program can also help you determine how often a river card will help you win or lose (since this is basically also nothing but a matter of Equity on the turn).

I think playing around with the ranges and equities yourself is better than me trying to give you an all encompassing answer to your question here, because I doubt there is one :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      im paddin ma post cnt coz i wana get to 888 so ill be lyk LOLZ its lyk teh pker site lolz an den ill registr dere lol

I was answering to your 2nd question, hence the "2)". Get it? 2. 2. it's like teh same number.

I read the PS articles and used their SHC when I was beginning...been playing for a year or so. wanna read my blog? it's up there ^ :)
    • CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      Thanks but I figured there was some hard data already available since that's how the Sklansky groups were determined to start with. But I'll try your way. Thanks.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoryGrant
      Thanks but I figured there was some hard data already available since that's how the Sklansky groups were determined to start with. But I'll try your way. Thanks.
      Yes there are data sheets and the like - often contained in various strategy articles on the site - or hidden away in posts throughout the forum (probably not directly in relation to the sklansky groups though) - but if you ask me, Poker is so highly situational that simply looking at a large batch of data isnt half as educational as playing around with ranges and equity calculations yourself.

Such lists are quite good of course when considering Equity of various dominated hands vs. each other (Harrington on Hold'em 2 has a nice chapter on this) but in the end - Equilator is just great :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      I just wanted to look at the data for comparative purposes. Example being I win group 1 hands 68% of the time and wanted to compare that to the norm.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I just wanted to look at the data for comparative purposes. Example being I win group 1 hands 68% of the time and wanted to compare that to the norm.
      The question is wins 68% against what? Random Cards? Cards from Group 2? Likely all-in hands?

Its so relative ;)
    • CoryGrant
      CoryGrant
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      The question is wins 68% against what? Random Cards? Cards from Group 2? Likely all-in hands?

Its so relative ;)
      68% against all hands. I'm sorry I asked the question now.