5/10 blinds - Implied odds

• ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      2 fold question here. Firstly I find myself calling 3x BB standard raises with implied odds with pocketpairs, which seems fine just slightly odd at first.

Leading on from that, I find myself raising to 5/6BB as my standard raise to avoid giving other players implied odds to call on pocket pairs. Almost in direct inproportion to why I call the 3xBB raises.

Are both ok? I think calling is fine but I'm not sure if I'm wasting chips by raising more.

Discuss? :)
  • 6 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      First of all, calling a 3BB raise with PP depends on the remaining stack on the player - if he has 17BBs left its not worth it, if he has 97 it surely is and so on.Additionally, every particular villain is to be treated separately.
      The same goes with your stack. I suppose you play fullstacked,and 5-6 BB's on unopened pot is just too much, as you will only get called with hands better than yours, or everyone else will fold.Actually, the implied odds the opponents get against you depends on your reactions also, i dont believe you will risk all your stack with just TPTK or overpair? So In this case, even if they flop a set, they wont be able to win your entire stack, as you will be protecting it, or have a better hand. Thus, the implied odds they get against you are smaller, you dont need to raise more.3,5 times the bb is just about enough.

Implied odds is a lot more complicated than pot odds, it relies not only on raise/stack size and the texture of the board, but on psychology and opponent's behavior(yours in the second case).
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      We're talking Level 1 blinds so most players are going to be deep stacked unless they donk them off with 10 hands of starting.

Originally posted by tzveti
      i dont believe you will risk all your stack with just TPTK or overpair?
      Well... believe it? And thanks for the recap on what implied odds are! I'd nearly forgotten ;)

Originally posted by tzveti
      I suppose you play fullstacked,and 5-6 BB's on unopened pot is just too much, as you will only get called with hands better than yours, or everyone else will fold.
      Sure, if I'm playing at a table of sharks.
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      hmm sry, I didnt see it was in the SnG section :D
      Well its a whole different deal, but following the principle that you should tighten up in the early stages, you shouldnt really risk your tournament life on a TPTK or overcards.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      there are no tables with sharks. Just raise to 3bb, since most people cant even grasp the concept behind calling for setvalue. Just make sure a regular tag doesnt stack you with a set.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      post examples! but generally speaking if a regular reraises you on a dry sahara-like board, after flatcalling preflop, then let go of your TPTK/overpair.

otherwise, go broke. and don't be too worried about those villains that hit 2pair with their J4, they will pay you off in the longrun anyway.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Indeed. I'm mainly talking about QQ-AA UTG situations where raising to 30 just seems so feeble. And subsequently half the table flat call and an overcard on the flop forces me to play passive. But i suppose only raising 3BB makes it even easier to lay down, I think I'm just unused to played with so many calling stations.