Your best tips? I'm kind of stuck...

• nobodylikesanangrybanana
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Making another thread for this one, since it's kind of a big one.

I just wanted to ask you experienced (and preferably successful) players if you have any tips on how i should improve my game?

'Cause I've kind of gotten stuck. I mean, I know all the basics, like positioning, etc., but I just can't stay on the plus-side on my bankroll :f_mad: Don't know what I'm doing wrong, should I play tighter to begin with and then bluff when they've gotten to "know" me? Should I stay long in a game or not? Maximum buy-in or not? What amount of players and strategy is best when you're trying to build up your bankroll?

Regards

Angry Banana
  • 22 replies
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      If you are a good player you should plan your session beforehand. Define before you start your session how long you will play for and how many tables. Play for that period of time and don't worry about losing or winning. Focus on long-term results not the outcome of one hand. Grinding and long-term increases to your bankroll comes from long-term profits. Sure, you will lose occassionally but that is necessary if you are to win in the long-term.

However, only play at a table if you are sure you a have an edge on the players. There is no use battling five other grinding in a SH game if you will not show a consistent profit against them.

It is always to start a session off tight, get a feel for your tables. If you are going to bluff (unnecessary in most of the lower limit cash games) save it for players with clearly defined playing styles. Bluff them when you have gotten to 'know' them.

Make sure you are playing with a number of tables you are comfortable with. Players often make the mistake of believing that more tables automatically = more profits. Ease into a larger amount. A good suggestion is to add one table every two session. This ensures that you are comfortable with that amount of tables.

In terms of game selection, play to your strengths. Personally I found NL10 SH a great bankroll builder. Action is very soft on 888 and also, to a lesser extent, on Pokerstars. If you are more comfortable with an aggressive style of game then try out SNGs or HU.
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for your response, I will absolutely try that out!

Regards

Angry Banana
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I wouldn't try HU, it requires really good handreading skills and mindset imo. I've been playing for a few years and admit I still haven't got it.

SNG has a different skillset but I think it's easier to master because a lot of the action is preflop and on the flop.

You just have to study heaps and keep at it. I think the best thing I did was read a full beginners book. They're much more in depth than all the articles and stuff
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      If you want a definitive guide to micro-stakes check out Edited by HollyMichelle. I read it and it was a huge help.

[Edited by HollyMichelle: Removing other affiliate content]
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nobodylikesanangrybanana

I just wanted to ask you experienced (and preferably successful) players if you have any tips on how i should improve my game?

'Cause I've kind of gotten stuck. I mean, I know all the basics, like positioning, etc., but I just can't stay on the plus-side on my bankroll :f_mad: Don't know what I'm doing wrong, should I play tighter to begin with and then bluff when they've gotten to "know" me? Should I stay long in a game or not? Maximum buy-in or not? What amount of players and strategy is best when you're trying to build up your bankroll?

Regards

Angry Banana
      1. Read all Basic+Bronze articles
      2. Posting your hands on Hand Analysis Forum.
      3. Join Poker Strategy Beginner Course.

That's all free and enough to beat up to NL10 (I assume you play Cash Game). I don't think you need any additional books or hire a coach only to beat micro limit. Of course hire a coach can help you too improve a bit faster but they can not give a magical recipe how to beat the game.

I want to stressed how much importance point #2. It's something that people underestimate.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      ive been playing Nl10 BSS full ring and id been slowly building up my BR and played 9k hands with a nice little profit.

If your playing BSS then buy in for maximum, MSS/SSS read articles, play how long you want, untill you mean yourself losing concentration or not enjoying yourself, personally i just play till i lose concentration or get bored.

im not gunna tell you what you what others have already told you, read articles blah blah blah ive only be parroting them

Id prefer to tell you what ive found the most helpful so if yu do any studying what so ever please try these, coaching sessions with veriz, for you no limit beginners course, and if yu get silver no limit hand evaluation, ive learnt a hell of a lot from them. Also if you use a hud its easier but if not just mark the hand histories of hands yu think you could have played better or not sure what to do in that situation, even hands yu know you played badly but your not sure at what point in went wrong, take them to the hand evaluation forums where veriz will improve how you play masively, he has for me
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Look at your biggest losing pots, see if you can spot a pattern to them.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk

Regards

Angry Banana
      1. Read all Basic+Bronze articles
      2. Posting your hands on Hand Analysis Forum.
      3. Join Poker Strategy Beginner Course.

That's all free and enough to beat up to NL10 (I assume you play Cash Game). I don't think you need any additional books or hire a coach only to beat micro limit. Of course hire a coach can help you too improve a bit faster but they can not give a magical recipe how to beat the game.

I want to stressed how much importance point #2. It's something that people underestimate.
      +1 cant add anymore to this!
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Thank you for all your replies, it really helps a lot! I will try to apply as many as I can of them to my game, and read a lot ;) Also, how does the coaching on this site works? I'm curious :]

Regards

Angry Banana
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      The beginners course is amazing for building a foundation, you get to work with a professional coach for FREE!

Sick value in that, so much +EV you can't believe it!

I can personally vouch for Veriz being amazing and superhelpful to his students, having attended it when it was the NL BSS School while the format was evolving!

Regards,
      Richard
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Im guessing you are a micro player like me? I reccommend not bluffing at all other than c-bets. This is because the average micros player your up against always tries to find a reason to call, so your bluffs are a lot less +EV and in many cases are -EV. Its shocking what not bluffing can do for your winrate. I also reccomend you read all the strategy articles here and on other sites like twoplustwo, and only play 2 tables whilst you incorporate it into your game. Making notes on players is an excellent thing to do also, and underrated by most players at the micro levels. Even simple notes such as bluffs you have seen the opposition take to showdown, or hands he limps regularly can really be beneficial. Doing all these things took my winrate from significantly negative to positive :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey there Angry Banana!

I see that you still havn't joined the NL Beginners Course !

Its a must if you really wish to improve your game :]

Everyones suggestions here are great, thanks all! :f_biggrin:
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Again, thank you all for your replies, helps a lot!

@esuohdla (any particular reason for that name? :f_biggrin: )

I discovered that bluffing doesn't help you at all on these levels yesterday, so I have the exact same oppinion, but your explanation why helped me to understand better! Thank you :)

@ MattDenness

What does this course contain? :)
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      @esuohdla (any particular reason for that name? :f_biggrin: )
      Long explination: I played an online game with a friend of that name, we both decided to register for another game, he stole my name and I stole his. When I registered to WoW all of my friends who registered with me knew me by that name, so it made sense to continue with it, and so ive used that name ever since.

TLDR: stole friends name.

Also cbet bluffs are still extremely profitable on the right boards, but yeah before NL25 most double/triple barrels are shit, even if you have excellent logic behind them.
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Cool story bro :f_cool:

EDIT: Two questions:

1. If I'm sure I have the upperhand after the flop, what is the best strategy to extract as much money from the other player as possible? Say I have AA and the flop comes A :heart: 7 :club: 2 :diamond: , and the player before me in MP checks, and I have one player behind me. What should I do? Slowplay or raise? ?( (Sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong section, but I thought it was a general question: How do you extract as much money as possible?)

2. I have a hand that I played resently that I want to post in the handevaluating-section but I can't find it, where is it? ?(

Regards

Angry Banana
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      The Beginners Course,
      You will start of the course by creating a "Locker Room" thread, this is where you will post all of your homework, which will get reviewed by Veriz (Our awesome Coach). You can also ask Veriz absolutely anything you like in your Locker Room thread, such as "When should I 3Bet" or "I'm always losing with QQ, why is this?" or even "How tall are you" :D You get the idea :P
      Each lesson starts out with the basics, for example, Lesson 1 teaches you:
      :diamond: The rules of Texas Holdem
      :diamond: What is BSS
      :diamond: 7 Tips on becoming a successful NL player (Thats your title!)
      :diamond: Putting Theory into practice
      By the end of lesson 8 you would have learn the fundamentals of poker, such as Odds/Outs, Implied odds & how to play Multi-way pot. You'll also leans how to use HUD's and avoid tilt!

On top of this, you will be guided to the most appropriate Articles and Videos for you to learn from.

The Coach will also hold a Coaching session every week where you can come along and watch him play Micro level poker, you will be able to interact with him throughout this, asking about any spots in his game. See how a real winner plays, why and how he does what he does!

We also have a Video for you that expalisn the course here: NL Beginners Course - How it works

Here is a recent member giving us some Feedback on the course: Veriz and Beginner's course
      nobodylikesanangrybanana
      Bronze
      Oh, and another question. How can I see my hand history, because I don't remember all the details about the hand I want evaluated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Where is this thread to the Beginner's Course? Can't find it either.

PS. I edited the post above, just so you don't miss it ;)

Regards

Angry Banana
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Cool story bro :f_cool:

EDIT: Two questions:

1. If I'm sure I have the upperhand after the flop, what is the best strategy to extract as much money from the other player as possible? Say I have AA and the flop comes A :heart: 7 :club: 2 :diamond: , and the player before me in MP checks, and I have one player behind me. What should I do? Slowplay or raise? ?( (Sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong section, but I thought it was a general question: How do you extract as much money as possible?)
      The problem with this is its an extremely dry board and he cant really have much that he will pay you off with, in simple terms yu have top set so you hold 3 out of 4 aces in the deck, personally i would check the flop unless it was a wet board and give my oppenents a chance to catch up, also it depends what happened pre flop, and the size of the pot, and who your playing. you have to ask yourself what would my opponents call my bet with on that flop, if they will call you with a pair of 7s, then yeah no reason not to bet
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      As the person above me said, since the board is absolutely drawless id give the opponent a chance to catch up, unless I have reason to believe they will pay me off with horrid hands. So I check. However, if the board contained draws I would bet. I would also bet any turn whatever the card is in any situation.

The hand evaluation board is here if you want a pro to look at it though:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387