Real life downswing (SNG player)

• angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Hello all :) I have always though about making a poker blog and never felt like I really need it. But here I am, writing my very first poker blog.

I`m angalius from Latvia. Currently I`m facing a real life downswing. I`m really lazy, I don`t attend school a lot , I don`t do my homework and really just don`t care about myself like I should. I`m facing tough times but I`m starting to get sick of this. Today I promised myself that I will turn this downswing into upswing. This is the most important year in my school and I have to start doing something about it.

Aside from that there's poker. I love poker and making money from something you love is just the thing I want :) . I really got interested into poker at my first year in High school. Me with my classmates shuffled the cards every break but of course the blinds were only 1/2 cents. :D But money is money so getting a little peek into poker world gave me an edge over them. :s_biggrin: After shipping 4 out of 5 home games for 1st place I thought that this is easy money. :megusta:

I have played in a lot of sites , deposited and lost all money like million times (mainly becouse of tilt) . Now I`m putting 50$ in pokerstars and playing FR NL 1.50$ SNG knockouts. I will move up to 3.50$ when I`ll hit 30-40BI (depends on how I feel :f_biggrin: ). I have always loved SNGs and MTTs it just gives me the best poker feeling. I dont have any software but I plan on getting one after I make some more money.

My biggest achievements are winning 212$, 147$ in MTTs and I also shipped one of the Pokerstrategy daily 100$ MTT for 20$ :D

Goals :
      :spade: Attend every class and study hard,
      :heart: Read all SNG articles - 3/12 (basic and bronze since I got my 50$ to party)
      :diamond: Watch all SNG videos 2/23 (basic and bronze SNG 1-5$BI)
      :club: Correct all my bad semester marks in school 4/8
      :spade: Hit 105$ bankroll to play 3.50$ SNGs
      :heart: ....

So the reason behind this blog? This blog is made for motivating me , to show someone my progress and get some motivating words in need. :) This is for my own good.
      And of course to learn poker :s_cool:

http://onlineclock.net/ - Is going to be my biggest enemy now :f_cry:
  • 21 replies
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Good luck! Writing this blog was an important step in helping kick old habits and establishing new ones.
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t1400)
      BB (t1390)
      UTG (t1480)
      MP1 (t2120)
      MP2 (t1470)
      CO (t2700)
      Button (t2940)

Hero's M: 46.67

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7
      1 fold, MP1 calls t20, 1 fold, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, Hero calls t10, BB checks

Flop: (t100) 7, 7, 10 (5 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 bets t80, CO raises to t2680 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t1380 (All-In), 2 folds

Turn: (t2940) J (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2940) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2940

Couldnt sleep so decided to play. I`m playing 8 tables at a time. Had this funny hand - flopping quads :D

Up +6.37$

School is after 3 hours so Ill just make another coffe and play one more session..
    • stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Good luck!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hey there, Angalius!

While I'm not a native Latvian, I do live here! Whereabouts are you from/living?
      What are you studying?

Starting a blog to track your own progress is an awesome plan, it shows you when you're feeling slack/unmotivated to look back and see how much you are able to accomplish and what you can do when you put your mind and energy towards it!

And just like you, I'm well partial to MTTs, the feeling of going deep and getting a decent cash spot in a tournament is well superior to just stacking some fish for 1-2BI on cash, right? :D
      Which sites did your bigger cashes happen on?

Not to be the one to put a downer on your roll and harsh your mojo, are you sure 30-40BI for the $3.50 level is enough? Sounds like a bit of a risky BRM!

Best of luck with the blog though, I'll be following your progress for sure!

Despite him being so short and quiet, I believe Stripofbacon is Latvian aswell, he must just be a little shy! :D
      Good to see some locals around and about!

Regards,
      Richard
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Hi fruktpuff. What is your native country ?:) I live in Liepaja and Im studying logicstics right now ( everything about transport)

That feeling of winning MTT is just amazing. I really want to win 4 figure tournament someday that's like my closest dream :D I actually won all my MTTs on partypoker, I guess its because there aren`t so much players as in pokerstars. Because of that I find CAP tournaments really cool. Cap is either from 500 to 1000 players max which is pretty awesome :)

Actually I can tell you that I find 3.50$ SNGs much more soft. The reason behind is that grinders start at 1.50$ and there are far more less grinders at 3.50$ (atleast for now). A lot of bad players just register to 3.50$ for increasing BR quick. But I will think about it , maybe it really is pretty aggresive BRM ?(

Haha, were living in a small world :s_biggrin:

:heart: As for poker. Last night I actually fell asleep after playing which I didnt want to happen. Was really sleepy so did alot of mistakes which I wouldnt make while getting into it with full concentration...

:diamond: Do not play when sleepy !

Didnt lose much - was down 2BI that session. Gonna watch a video now and probably play some poker 2 times for 8 tables. Gonna post some unsure, interesting hands if I get some. :s_love: GL
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I'm from Sweden, but living in Riga with my Latvian wife.

Yeah, but with the masses of recreational players available at $1.50 there should be plenty of fish to catch if you tableselect carefully.

Agressive BRM is fine, as long as you're willing to move down and back up a lot, really, just gotta keep a strict discipline and make sure you follow your schedule for when to move back down.
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Tables were pretty tough. 3-4 TAG players on almost every table , still ended up winning.
      Feeling really sleepy , gonna go to sleep earlier today. :)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t1605)
      BB (t3170)
      UTG (t1710)
      MP1 (t1621)
      MP2 (t2238)
      CO (t861)
      Button (t2295)

Hero's M: 21.40

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q
      UTG calls t50, 3 folds, Button bets t150, Hero raises to t450, 1 fold, UTG calls t400, Button raises to t2295 (All-In), 2 folds

Total pot: t1400

I would call here but UTG call scared me so I folded. I think I`m probably against JJ+ and didnt really want to risk much.

Up for 4BI today
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t3490)
      BB (t494)
      Hero (UTG) (t2237)
      MP (t5153)
      Button (t2126)

Hero's M: 29.83

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, K
      Hero bets t250, MP calls t250, 3 folds

Flop: (t575) 10, 6, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets t300, MP calls t300

Turn: (t1175) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: (t1175) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets t200, Hero calls t200

Total pot: t1575

Results below:
      Hero had A, K (one pair, sixes).
      MP had 5, 7 (one pair, sixes).
      Outcome: Hero won t1575

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t4093)
      BB (t1612)
      Hero (UTG) (t1915)
      MP (t3035)
      CO (t1970)
      Button (t875)

Hero's M: 12.77

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10, J
      Hero bets t300, 4 folds, BB calls t200

Flop: (t650) Q, 5, A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t650) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t400, BB calls t400

River: (t1450) 8 (2 players)
      BB bets t912 (All-In), Hero calls t912

Total pot: t3274

Results:
      BB had K, 9 (high card, Ace).
      Hero had 10, J (one pair, Jacks).
      Outcome: Hero won t3274

On 1st hand I just had to call the river, only paid 200 for 1100+ pot.
      On second hand I actually put him on a King of diamonds after the turn call, so pretty easy call on river.

Played one session and I`m up +10$ , actually I ran(runned?) pretty good. Made alot of good laydowns aswell. Playing my A game atm.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Always good to end the day up!

In the first hand, it was 200 to call for a 1375 pot, not just 11xx, because it's 1175+his bet of 200.

It'd be "ran", yes.
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Oh yeah thanks , its 1375 :)
      Btw fruktpuff why did you choose to live in Latvia? (because of your wife ? :D )
      I would actually prefer to live in Sweden (been there 2 times only lol :D ) , I think its a really beautiful country.
      And do you speak Latvian at all ? :f_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Well, first she moved to sweden for a year, didn't really enjoy it, moved home and then 2 months later I came over to visit and just decided to stay.

Well, I understand about 30-40%, but don't really like to speak much, for several reasons. Mostly because, not that I doubt I couldn't make myself understood if I want to say something, but I want to be able to fully understand the response correctly.
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      I red somewhere that Latvian language is actually one of top5 hardest languages in the world, so have fun learning :D

:heart: Read all SNG articles - 9/16
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Sadly it seems that I`m more motivated to play poker that attend school, was up all night grinding and just passed out right before I had to get up for school... X(
      But I went to the last lecture and corrected one of my bad semester marks :s_thumbsup:
      :heart: Correct all my bad semester marks in school 5/8

As for poker, I was stuck for 3 sessions getting +/-1BI , but last 2 sessions I`m up 8BI
      Feeling very comfortable at the tables , only playing my A game. :) Downloading ICM trainer light actually really helped that fixed a lot of my leaks :s_cool:

Tried SNG knockout TURBOs since standard 10min blinds are getting too slow. I don`t feel so confident at turbos, but I`ll get used to it. :)

That`s all for now, probably gonna play 2-3 more sessions :)
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Good luck, although the size of your bankroll doesnt determine how good a poker player you are :)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I really like the full PokerStrategy.com ICM Trainer, rather than the light.
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      Good luck, although the size of your bankroll doesnt determine how good a poker player you are :)
      Yes thank you for mentioning , I hope I wont think about my bankroll when the downswing comes (hope it wont come :D )

And actually I downloaded both ICM trainers , but I`m not really used to any of this so ICM trainer light was really helpful since it was easy to use and understand :) Ome step at a time
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze

really having a blast on the tables. Up +21BI since yesterday. I play my hands like I should play and lay down hands I should lay down. Ofcourse I missread few sitiations and lose few spots. I suckout one or two pots, but I get sucked out on too and my tilt level is 0 atm. :s_biggrin:
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Okay heres the newest update. Yesterday I runned really bad, lost a lot of SNGs. But I got trough it pretty fast :)
      Also I enjoy big prizepool tourneys so I decided to play 11$ buyin 300k guaranteed tourney.

You finished the tournament in 1645th place. A USD 51.49 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

In last hand I was holding KK in UTG and raised, everyone folded except BB who went all-in. So I called and he flipped over QQ and was really happy about it. Yeah but turn gave him the Q he needed and that ended my tourney. :s_mad: Oh well , better luck next time :D . Wasnt really mad at this becouse 51$ is money too , but I could get a lot of deeper if I would get that pot. :s_love:

Here is my first graph I`m shoving. My journey starts at the red dot. I had my ups and downs and I`m still aiming only up :f_cool:
      Yesterdays running bad is at 400th game. :f_eek:

I really have played more than watched some videos or red articles, so I have to do that some time today before I play just to refresh my mind about poker. :)
      Okay I`m of to school now :O
    • angalius
      angalius
      Bronze
      Hey there :)

Its ben a long time since last posts , so heres a little update.

I`ve been focusing on school lately and poker is not on my main thing to do right now. But i`ve been playing some sngs and MTTS and I`m pretty stuck right now , but no worries - upswing is coming :)
      Hope I`ll get everything done for school so I can focus 100% on poker to enjoy the game and of course earn some pocket money. :s_love: