Pov1las

• Pov1las
      Pov1las
      Bronze
      Hello there, my name is Povilas, I am 25 years old and I live in Lithuania.
      I recently started to play online poker and am really keen to gain more experience and knowledge. Some cash would be nice too ;)

Currently i am trying to learn basics by playing NL2 on 10 player tables
  • 2 replies
    • Pov1las
      Pov1las
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Answer 1: First of all, I was always interested in online games, and now I realize that I have wasted a lot of time on games that were just fun way of spending time and not really beneficial. I have few friends that are constantly playing online poker and are doing quite well (they have some knowledge, gain some $). I consider myself a fast learner, good at maths so poker is the thing i am willing to learn and probably gain some income. Moreover, there are many friends around that are sceptical about my decision to start learning poker, so it kinda motivates me to prove them all wrong :) )

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Answer 2: To be honest, I can easily name these weaknesses of mine:
      (1) Lack of experience
      (2) Greed
      (3) Lack of discipline (sometimes i catch myself not following strategy and burning money without a reasonable explanation.)
      (4) Donkey-ness (He loves to bluff thinking, "He's got nothing," and is willing to call with even less.)

I am willful to deal with these weaknesses and I am certain that playing more and reading more poker related articles would decently improve my level of play.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Answer 3: In my opinion, tight aggressive play style represents taking advantage of better hands and playing them aggressively for bigger profit, and taking less risky way with weaker hands (folding, maintaining pot control).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Lack of Experience isn't really a huge problem. With time you will get better and with it you also will understand the basics, you will get stronger, you wont get that tilty when you get bad-beats. Just invest enough of effort into poker and I can assure you will get more confidence in your play. But don't forget that as poker player you will have to continue learning/reading/watching/discussing all kind of things even if you think you already know a lot. In poker there is no limit for that.

Greed is a standard weakness for a lot poker players, you just want to win too much but you rather lose because of it. Try to get your game in order and always take a deep breath before making a huge call and ask yourself what do I beat? Try putting more effort into concentration and try to understand why you are doing specific move and why is the opponent picking such a line. Experience will do his work with time.

Discipline is common problem for a lot of players. Few things you could set up for yourself is that you can put a plan which you follow. Like playing according the plan, trying to follow it and at the same time trying to force yourself to be disciplined rather than ignore the game. Also try to avoid distractions which can cause even to be undisciplined. Don't let anything distract you. Always try to remind you what you are doing at the tables!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.