Table Selection

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Pokerstars Micro Limits is not unbeatable at all. You need good table selection to find loose tables and break them. I wanted to start a thread by stating how I select my tables and ask you guys for your inputs and how you go about it.

1. I try to play during 17:00-20:00 GMT as there are most fish on the tables at this time that come home after work or college or whatever and want to play. These are the recreational players and have a huge proportion of fish among them. Its good to play with 150K+ players online since thats when you'll find most fish. I'm sure the tables might be pretty juicy after 20:00 too but I'm unable to play after that since it gets very late in my time zone.

2. I sort tables according to VPIP. At NL5 SH I find a few tables with 40+ VPIP and I try to waitlist on these.

3. I won't join a waitlist if there are more than 2 players in the waitlist. No matter how juicy the table might be I think the fish will be long gone by the time you reach and half the table will have changed when you get a seat.

4. I waitlist on tables with H/hr below 100 or 110. If the H/hr is greater than that, then that just means the table is very new and probably only 2 players were playing a few seconds ago before everyone just joined in and so the VPIP figure is biased.

5. I don't pay a lot of attention to Avg Pot since I feel that figure shouldn't matter. What should matter is that you have atleast one fish on the table that will give away his stack easily.

6. I try to be on tables where i am sitting on the seat to the left of the fish. That way I have position on him 5/6 times which gives me an added advantage.

7. I also try to have a nit to my left or perhaps two nits since I can steal blinds from them.

8. If within 15-20 hands I'm not able to identify the fish on the table I leave the table. And by fish I mean VPIP>40 with atleast 15 hands.

Right now there are only 70K players online. With 40+ VPIP there are harldy any tables worth sitting at so I lowered the filter to 35 VPIP. This is what the lobby with my filters looks like.

So here I would join the waitlist of Recha II, Bahner, Laetitia II, Messalina IV I would avoid since its not a fast table and the H/hr is relatively high for this table and same goes to Pompeja III. The last one would be Myrrha IV.

So I would love to have your inputs here. What do you think of my method, what could I be doing wrong or missing out on and how do you do it differently. And please don't post messages like "it doesn't matter on NL5 there are fish everywhere", I wanna make a system that I could use at higher limits too upto NL50 SH atleast so while perfectly knowing that NL5 has a lost of fish I wanna be prepared to select tables efficiently at NL25 and NL50 too when I get there very soon. :D
  • 20 replies
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      I use table scan turbo, its free software & easy to use.
      Shows table averages, but also individual player stats if you have hands on them, also each players stack size/number of tables theyre playing which i find really useful.
      The feature i use most though, is buddy listing any player i see to be weak, so when i sort the tables anyones table i have buddy listed goes straight to the top.
      If there arent many players i have hands on, i start looking at tables that have several players playing one or two tabling or not playing with a full stack (100bb) a good indication its probably a soft table.
      I play in my spare time so if its not a great time for fish i just have to deal with it, usually plenty on NL10 anytime though ;)
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      These are my filters:

Min players seated: 7
      Min. Average Pot: 10BB
      Min. Average Stack: 50BB
      Min. Players Per Flop %: 30
      Min. VPIP %: 30

At NL2 and I'm winning 20BB/100 hands over a 10k sample. Table selection works.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by dannywratten
      Shows table averages, but also individual player stats if you have hands on them, also each players stack size/number of tables theyre playing which i find really useful.
      The feature i use most though, is buddy listing any player i see to be weak, so when i sort the tables anyones table i have buddy listed goes straight to the top.
      If there arent many players i have hands on, i start looking at tables that have several players playing one or two tabling or not playing with a full stack (100bb) a good indication its probably a soft table.
      I play in my spare time so if its not a great time for fish i just have to deal with it, usually plenty on NL10 anytime though ;)
      Just tried out that software. Pretty neat. Thanks.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      I do it a little different from you, for example were a table an average VPIP of 38 with an average pot of $0.20, I would sooner pick a table of average pot $1 and VPIP of 34. Made up figures but you get the idea. I also avoid tables with lots of shortstackers, they are usually bad but piss me off too much.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by esuohdla
      I do it a little different from you, for example were a table an average VPIP of 38 with an average pot of $0.20, I would sooner pick a table of average pot $1 and VPIP of 34. Made up figures but you get the idea. I also avoid tables with lots of shortstackers, they are usually bad but piss me off too much.
      Yeah I avoid shortstacks too.

I've noticed that the tables with high Avg. Pot figures usually have a long waitlist and the table doesn't remain what it originally was by the time you get there. However assuming that both tables, like in the example you gave, have same number in the waitlist then I'd also pisck the one with the higher Avg. Pot.
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Yeah I think avoiding shortstackers is important to table selection. They are the biggest nits in the world and break tables way too often.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      Just tried out that software. Pretty neat. Thanks.
      +1 :s_biggrin:
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      will try downloading table scan turbo tonight and give my review :D
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      anyway to filter the tables by VPIP instead of players per flop? i enable my hud but the stats on table scan shows NaNN for VPIP PFR AF and other stuff
    • NorwayCowboy
      NorwayCowboy
      Bronze
      Hmm, I need to pay more attention to table selection, been doing it when starting tables, but I don't leave the table when it's full of nits.

Time to go fishing after work.
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      is it legal to use tablescan turbo in other poker clients?
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by ryciaga
      is it legal to use tablescan turbo in other poker clients?

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/prohibited/
      Under the question, "Can you give me some examples of acceptable tools and services ?" Number 96.

Similarly you'll have to check at other clients on their websites. I don't think most of them would have a problem. I think where you can use stuff like Holdem Manager I'm sure you can use this as well as it uses the same database.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by dwyt84
      anyway to filter the tables by VPIP instead of players per flop? i enable my hud but the stats on table scan shows NaNN for VPIP PFR AF and other stuff
      Here's what you need to do. Go to Configure then List Filters. Create a new filter here according to the VPIP config you want. The filter I created here is
      # of Buddies (1-10)
      # of Fish (1-10)
      # of High VPIPs (1-10)
      Put an OR condition to them and I'm good to go. I've defined High VPIPs as VPIP>40, similarly you can define fish and other player types too and there are tonnes of other filters you can create. I haven't gotten into the mess of Plrs/Flop etc since using these filters alone I get 8-9 hot tables.

Just make sure that after creating the list you filter tables according to this list and you use the same list with the AutoWaitlist feature.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maheepsangari

thanks man got it to work like that. my current problem right now is how to set auto waitlist. i want to just click on the table and insta seat if there an open spot or automatically join the waitlist. can't seem to get it to work
      Here's what you need to do. Go to Configure then List Filters. Create a new filter here according to the VPIP config you want. The filter I created here is
      # of Buddies (1-10)
      # of Fish (1-10)
      # of High VPIPs (1-10)
      Put an OR condition to them and I'm good to go. I've defined High VPIPs as VPIP>40, similarly you can define fish and other player types too and there are tonnes of other filters you can create. I haven't gotten into the mess of Plrs/Flop etc since using these filters alone I get 8-9 hot tables.

Just make sure that after creating the list you filter tables according to this list and you use the same list with the AutoWaitlist feature.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      how come table scan only shows table that are full? how can i setup it up where it will also show tables that aren't full. i have the same filters as yours also i added
      #waitlist 0 - 2
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      never mind. i got it to work now. been playing around with the filters and the auto waitlist feature.

will auto waitlist work like auto join if the table is not full but meets my filter conditions?
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      never mind. i got it to work now. been playing around with the filters and the auto waitlist feature.

will auto waitlist work like auto join if the table is not full but meets my filter conditions?
      I think they only open those tables and you
      ll have to join yourself. Don't think they auto join as well.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      how come my version needs to be updated every other day? is it like that with yours?
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      how come my version needs to be updated every other day? is it like that with yours?
      Yup I'm facing the same thing.