How do you warm up for a session?

• esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Personally I read through the hands of previous session, post any im confused of, then post in other players hand evaluation threads with my opinion. I feel it forces my brain to start thinking of the game and considering my options.

Is there anything you guys do to get your brain in gear before your sessions start?
  • 44 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Earlier I used to watch videos before starting, to get my brain warmed up, but been slacking on that lately.

Reviewing the biggest won and lost pots of the previous session is also a solid one.

Most importantly though, I only play when ready/able to focus on play, not "just to get the volume in".
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Earlier I used to watch videos before starting, to get my brain warmed up, but been slacking on that lately.
      As a bronze sadly I exhaust the available content for my gametype quite quickly :(
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Come here, troll the forums :f_love:

Go to Hand Evaluations, Find the hands I posted yesterday, read the reviews.

Get a drink, grind away!
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      Come here, troll the forums :f_love:
      Go to Hand Evaluations, Find the hands I posted yesterday, read the reviews.
      Get a drink, grind away!
      Drink, cant do that or I lose half my br by clicking random buttons (including that godawful blackjack button on one site, cant even remember doing that)

I do troll though :)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I think he meant a soft drink.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Ah, coffee is my particular favourite. Took some out of my BR to invest in a kettle in my room just for this purpose.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      I think he meant a soft drink.

:f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Nothing Alcoholic :P
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness

:f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Nothing Alcoholic :P
      Have a friend who is generally a nit, when he drinks alcohol he actually loosens up to a profitable TAG style of play :P

Sadly I cant do that :(
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I hang upside down on my pull up bar for 20-30minutes before any big tournaments I play.

Didn't do me any good this Sunday though as a crazy miss click totally killed me after I was doing so great, but generally it helps.
    • Dannyz0r
      Dannyz0r
      Bronze
      Usually i watch some poker videos / interesting hands on youtube
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Load up music, read some PS and 2p2 and get to work.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Go to toilet, its a killer having to make a mad dash mid session :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      Go to toilet, its a killer having to make a mad dash mid session :D
      !!! Can't believe I forgot this one, nothing worse than needing to pee :rolleyes:

Then coming back and see you missed AA :(
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      Warm up?
      How about a cup of tea?
    • luckydont
      luckydont
      Gold
      Just found out that this is the first page in google search for "poker warm up", and that's probably what people see first when they are looking. Sorry, but "cup of tea" is not professional at all. The game itself is the best time to learn, and to learn you need to know what you are working on, your leaks, your goals, etc..

I used to have a list of warm up steps written on the paper, and did some corrections to it time to time. Then I read the Jared Tendler's book, and made a spreadsheet file in google docs. My last discovery is Poker Warm Up website where I can actually create and update my own warm up. With google docs I was sometimes lazy or could "accidentally" forget to go through warm up steps before playing. Here I just need to click "START" button and then just go with the flow (follow instructions). And I don't even open poker rooms or Holdem Manager before I finish with it.
      They also have a session timer, which I found useful to avoid looong(>5 hours) and tilty sessions. And couple brain games, which sometimes I play while waiting for the fish =) (I play HU)

good luck you all.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      after im done taping my mouse back together i normally howl at the moon and masturbate for a bit while looking over hand histories. check my roll, deposit another 500 and then (assuming im already drunk and/or high) i start grinding.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by badgerer
      after im done taping my mouse back together i normally howl at the moon and masturbate for a bit while looking over hand histories. check my roll, deposit another 500 and then (assuming im already drunk and/or high) i start grinding.
      At least you aren't having a cup of tea... I hear that is not very professional :D
    • kutero
      kutero
      Basic
      when i didnt play every day, i needed to be heated up before i ran good, and it was also like magic, so i played a limit lower as long as needed, that depended on how much or little i had been playing lately, eg. after one months holiday, a week just warming up might be needed.

since i started to play like every day, i wake up a little physically cold and need to play some poker to warm up physically, and so feeling best, so its a different thing then.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      I usually play a couple of brain training games at Lumosity. Other than that, not much at all. :P