[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #23 28.02.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Feb 28th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, March 6th at 6 PM GMT.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $25,65
      Hero:
      $32,65

0,15/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:spade: , 8:club:
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0,75, BU folds, SB calls $0,60, BB folds.

Flop: ($1,75) 9:club: , 8:diamond: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1,1, SB raises to $3,55, Hero calls $2,45.

FoldtoCB = 43%
      c/r flop 4%
      Villain does like to make moves against tags.

Turn: ($8,85) J:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

I'm not afraid of a draw, checked to keep in his bluffs.

River: ($8,85) A:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $5, Hero calls $5,00.

Final Pot: $18,85
  • 6 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      I think villain play is okay but its fairly risky, with flush and straight draws on the turn i like a $4.50- $5 bet from villain just to protect his hand , other than that as played standard call on the river, nice hand
    • MoneyDearest
      MoneyDearest
      Bronze
      I normally play FR MSS, but wanted to give this a shot for fun :) !

When villain calls our pfr, i put him on suited connectors, pocket pairs (JJ or less), or AJ/AQ.

When he check-raises on the rainbow board, something that he doesn't normally do, I put him on a set, 88, 99 (maybe 22) or an overpair, TT, JJ. OESD within range, but unlikely to play so aggressively.

When villain checks turn, I think he is either slow playing, with sets of 8's, 9's or J's, or waiting to see Hero's reaction with TT, even though that also has OESD. Though I think TT bets here to try to take pot, or give up or check/call on river. Apart from slow playing, I can't see the part of Villain's range that check's here.. Maybe we open Villain's range to A9.

Bet on river... I think he is not worried about Hero having A9/AJ, more likely betting for value with TT or a set. Call here is difficult as I see villain often has a set.

Even if we open villain's range to A9, the raise on the flop would be less likely, and we are still behind on the river.

How did I do :D ?
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I don't think I like the check behind on the turn by Hero because I don't think villain is c/r flop with total air, but most likely he has in his range, besides the obvious sets(only 5 combos is he plays 22 like this always and I think we can discount them a little bit because he is fairly likely to slowplay them against an aggressive opponent like us on such a dry board, mostly hands with backdoor potential of which a lot of them hitted on the turn giving a fair amount of equity to villain against our hand (Jx,Tx,clubs,Qx), at least 4-6 outs.

I would prefer betting on the turn thinking even of the possibility that villain might check/shove with his turned equity.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      I really don't see the point checking behind on turn. There are so many draws that villain can complete on river. I'd second barrel to protect my hand on turn and to see where I stand after's villain's move.

Villain's leading out on river can represent absolutely anything: a flush, a bluff since we checked behind on turn, a straight, better two pairs (Ax lol), or whatever. But we are shooting blanks here since we didn't probe the villain's strength on turn.

But as played, I would call for tells. :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Seems to be fine to even steal here with 98o.
      Flop: Most likely I would still Bet it bigger ~$1,30 to gain value from draws and any kind of made hands. If he has a hand he is willing to pay and if he doesn't he wont pay you much anyways. Afterwards we get raised 3betting might be overplayed cause he wont be paying with a lot worse, therefore I would also take pot control.
      Turn: But I don't really see why we should be Checking behind here? We need still to protect & gain value. :) Standard spot to Bet for protection & free showdown.

As played
      River: Well, you practically even turned your hand into bluff-catcher. Overall I am not a huge fan of calling even here cause you wont be ahead very often here anyways. You should rather Bet the turn and wouldn't even be in such a spot. But now again he could even be bluffing here as you Checked the flop. :)

Best Regards.
    • frako17
      frako17
      Bronze
      Considering that villain is quite aggro, dont fold much on CBs and he likes to make moves against tags i would 3bet/shove that flop.

When we are playing that kind of hands what better flops we are expecting to see??
      From the other hand for villain is a perfect flop to still the initials from us. The CB (could be bigger that 1.1) is standard there and i dont think that he expecting us to have 89 so c/r is a good move from him taking advantage of any % equity may have there. It looks like thinking player and i would never expect him to c/r there with a set.

Although there is many turn cards that we dont want to see there. 7 is not good, 5 is not good, Q is not good, probably A, J or even T is not good either.

So IMO i would be very happy to take down the pot right on flop.