Dealt to Hero 5:diamond: 5:heart:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.48, Hero calls $0.40, fold

FLOP ($1.12) 2:diamond: 5:club: 9:heart:

Hero checks, BTN checks

TURN ($1.12) 2:diamond: 5:club: 9:heart: A:spade:

Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70

RIVER ($2.52) 2:diamond: 5:club: 9:heart: A:spade: 6:spade:

Hero bets $2, BTN calls $2

Villian is unknown. Is it best to just call these preflop? I feel like my implied odds aren't that good and I'm almost never winning when I miss.

and yeah my turn bet is too small here
  • 3 replies
    • MrJohnAce
      MrJohnAce
      Bronze
      I think you played the hand well. A 3bet preflop would have in order too, but if he then 4bets, you'd have to fold and lose a few extra big blinds compared to calling and then folding on the flop in case you don't make your set. The turn bet might be slightly small, but you'd like the villain to reraise with an ace in his hand, so even a suck bet is ok. The board was perfect for you. He could have believed you're trying to steal the pot from him after the ace fell, causing him to call. But I won't expect him to call the river without an ace. I think you could have raised his river bet, because he checked the turn and would have used his opportunity to semi bluff his flush draw, with which he also could have taken down the pot immediately.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      you mean check/raise the river? Yeah that's much better cos he'll probably bet any A and that's the only thing he'll call with anyway
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello bradomurder,

We could easily even consider Check/Raising the turn cause it hits his range there. :)

Best Regards.