Pot control

• Alesh123
      Alesh123
      Bronze
      Hello, i search forum but i didn't find that thread.
      So - what is pot control?
      Any example maybe?
      Is that mean thay pot must be as big as possible to make call or small to loose as few money as possible?

Tnx!
  • 5 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well lets say the you open the BU with A2 get called by the BB and the flop comes A95 rainbow. Now instead of betting whats very likely the best hand you decide to check back for ''pot control'' to avoid being check raised and bloat the pot since if a lot of money goes in your hand is usually not that good anymore.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Well lets say the you open the BU with A2 get called by the BB and the flop comes A95 rainbow. Now instead of betting whats very likely the best hand you decide to check back for ''pot control'' to avoid being check raised and bloat the pot since if a lot of money goes in your hand is usually not that good anymore.
      Nice example.
      You can do it in this flop because:
      1. You afraid your opp have Ax as well that dominated yours.
      2. The flop is relatively save for you. If your opp doesn't have A, he rarely improve his hand later. This is important. So don't do it if you think your opponent on draw. Better to bet to make him pay his draw, and if he raise you have to think twice what to do.

There is article on strategy page about it. On most case you can do pot control IP.
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Yes good example You want pot control when you have a medium made hand.but 1 that you would likely fold to a re-raise. Example TP weak kicker,2nd pr good kicker etc. Hope that helps.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the assists ^^

Here is a link to our official glossary on Pot Control

For future reference our glossary is available on the bottom of the page :)

Happy grinding,
      Gary
    • Alesh123
      Alesh123
      Bronze
      I think i understand now.
      Tnx guys.