• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Final

• jackinbeat
      jackinbeat
      Bronze
      This looks fun, when will Barry Mundie change his TV tournament structures though, they allow so little room for manoeuvres that I feel they take a huge amount of skill out of the game, unless of course he's been given too little time to allow any other structure that is.

And Neil Channing is great voice, would have loved to have seen him alongside a more technical player from the Poker Strategy camp though.

Great that poker strategy bring events like this to the members though, when's the next one I want to try?
    • fortunewheel
      fortunewheel
      Bronze
      shovin time
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      Wow awful structure and starting with 50bb is just lol. A good video for entertainment purposes and for Channings comments even though he didn't have to go into any indepth discussion as the tournament seems to have been structured in a way to just get it over as quickly as possible and not put anyone in spots where they could look terrible as they would if it was deeper stacked. Would have liked to have seen a bit more from Plinski as he seemed by far the most competent player of heat 1.
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      stopped after 10 mins, prob the worst ever tv tournament, especially from poker strategy
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      stopped after 10 mins, prob the worst ever tv tournament, especially from poker strategy
      Why so phantommm92? Would be nice to hear some feedback on this?

Best regards,
      Gary
    • jackinbeat
      jackinbeat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      Why so phantommm92? Would be nice to hear some feedback on this?

Best regards,
      Gary
      I'll give it a go!

First of all it wasn't really clear how long the levels are, or what the whole structure is, have I missed it, some of my answers would depend on knowing this?

I think it's really a big shame that these tournaments are run this way, I take it you just went to matchroom is it, and used their advice. These structures just end up for bad viewing and disappointed players (clearly for some of them it might be their biggest ever poker moment).

They are plenty of structures and formats that could be used, and I know Barrie, they do it that way, and it works I'm sure they say. But for who you should ask.

Personally I've been running tournaments at the highest level for a number of years, and whilst there are those that have been doing it longer, this does not mean it is better.

The format is not fair on anybody, does not give a chance for real skill or poker, and I would have hoped poker strategy would see that. I'd say you paid a fair bit to put it on, and please see I'm only adding this to be constructive, talk to a few more people, look at production, and most importantly give the players some room to play and a decent structure.

It's great you put these tournaments on, but please explain you took the old TV route, and structure, was it just because that's what the TV people said you should do?
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      yeah i mean rather make a deep tournament and show only parts of it to mainstream? and maybe put the whole footage on pokerstrategy. at least for me it would be way more interesting
    • PokerHeavenVIP
      PokerHeavenVIP
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

Just in response to the comments on the structure which are all perfectly valid.

The made for TV format is very different to any normal events in that these are entertainment shows as well as Poker tournaments, so the structures are often more shallow.

Although it would be desirable to run deeper stacked tournaments and edit these further for TV, the time constraints of running all the heats in a single week with contingency time required, meant that the structures were advised as optimal for this TV format.

The structures used actually only have one level less than the old Full Tilt Poker Million formats and the final does have longer levels and more starting chips which allows for more play.

These TV structures do require a different strategy to many regular events so players still need to adapt, which as you will see when watching, some do better than others.

This is not to say that these structures are necessarily the best way to run these events in the future and it is the feedback provided by the players that attended, and community members that will influence structures for any future TV events that PokerStrategy.com and Poker Heaven produce together’.

One final point is the faster structures also help attract new players to the game as the tournament concept appears relatively straightforward, and new players will hopefully be for the good of all!

Thank you for continuing to provide us with your feedback, it is very important to us.

All the best,
      Toby
      VIP Manager
      Poker Heaven
    • rogervieri
      rogervieri
      Bronze
      cool!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I can somehow understand producers. As a player (heat 7) that structure is terrrrribad. It's a flipament, and it all comes down to luck. Who gets the card, who sucks out etc. Of course skill has something to do with it, but even if you are the best sit-go player in the planet, your edge would be pretty small against other decent/competent sit-go players.

But as this is TV show, it's purpose is pretty much to attract new players. And those who are not familiar with the poker strategies, math and structures, like to see all-in moments, fast action and big pots. If the game was deepstacked with 1 hour levels, it wouldn't be much fun for them to watch unedited. And there were 7 heats, 2 per day, with this structure. If they choose to play only 1 per day, and it would have taken 8-10 hours, it would have required a lot more from the organizers.

And another point of view is that in deepstacked structure the skill levels would have been shown. And it's not a good way to attract newbies if they see in TV that another newbie is just crushed. If you want to have Moneymaker-effect, you have to have that Moneymaker in the final table.

So if we look at what was this show's purpose, I think it achieves it. And after all, they did listen to players and changed the structure of final table a little. And even despite the fast structure, I am 99% sure that the time in London was a memorable and joyable to all the players. :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      This would be nice with some decent commentary.