Initiative on the turn

• runswithtwohorses
      runswithtwohorses
      Bronze
      I'm not really sure why initiative on the turn is so crucial. The beginners article doesn't really cover it. I know that it's important to have the ability to put your opponent under pressure, but how does initiative help you do this?
  • 5 replies
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      As much as I know initiative is good for two things. For example if you ware the preflop raiser in late position and you have a hand with showdown value on the flop, but not exactly a good hand you can bet the flop and thus probably check the turn and get a free river. Or if you are in early position and you have a trash hand, but you have the initiative you can bet the flop and turn if you sense that your opponents are weak and thus bluff them out.

So it's good for bluffing or getting a free card.
    • runswithtwohorses
      runswithtwohorses
      Bronze
      'you can bet the flop and thus probably check the turn and get a free river'

so does the initiative generally scare players into checking on the turn?
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Well if you bet the flop you symbolize a strong hand and if you don't get raised then players in front of you probably won't bet the turn(unless they got the card they needed).
    • runswithtwohorses
      runswithtwohorses
      Bronze
      ok thanx... makes more sense now
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Being the aggressor and having control of the hand is one of the most important concepts in limit holdem.

If you make a good hand you simply keep betting for value, if you miss the flop you have fold equity on the flop and the turn.

There are two important things that you need to learn though, learning to read the board texture and how it hits your opponents range, and understanding the type of opponent you're up against and what their actions against you represent.

This becomes more important the further up in limits you move.