AJ call all in 2 from the bubble

• daithi1990
      daithi1990
      Bronze
      Was playing a local live tournament in Dublin the other day two from the bubble on the final table. Blinds were 3000-1500, I had a stack of around 56000 - 58000

I picked up A :diamond: J :spade: in the cutoff, there were 2 loose callers utg, who from previous play were limping with marginal hands.... i raised small, on consideration to 11,000 and faced a shove from a maniac in the SB who was playing rags, not the first time he shoved to a raise with air, roughly even stack he was marginally ahead in stack terms. Both limpers UTG folded. I tanked a bit and upon thinking of his raise and range more than likely was ahead however he more than likely had live cards. I called and He turned over 7 :heart: 6 :spade: ,

with a flop of k72 :spade: , turn X river X

I lost anyway and was wondering about any opinions about my move. I was crushing his range but perplexed about what the right thing to do in that situation is. I thought the call was okay, but it bugs me on the best way to tackle other LAGs on your table. If i won the hand i would have probably went on and finished strongly.
  • 7 replies
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      you went in with the best hand so I don't think you did anything wrong. Like you said if you had won like you statistically should have done you would have had a huge chip stack and gone on to finish at least third.

IMO once you had raised with AJ you had to be prepared to go all in with it against those loose players, if you werent prepared to put your tournament life at risk you should have never raised and maybe just called to see if the flop was friendly to AJ.

If it was me I may have elected to play it passively and just call to see a flop, I wouldnt want to put to many chips in danger that close to cashing unless I was the short stack. If you do call and maybe the button or one of the blinds tries to raise and steal it you can shove with your AJ to get them to fold. Players are happy to be the first one to go all in with a whole range of hands but are not so keen on calling an all in with a large range.

Or you could have just shoved out right, I mean 10,500 in the pot, you could have just shoved and taken it down, he could not have called with 7,6. Of course its easy to say that sat here its not so easy to do actually there on the bubble, but if you were gonna call an all in with AJ maybe you should have just shoved outright and scooped the pot.
    • JohanRember
      JohanRember
      Bronze
      While your read might have been correct I don't think the play was correct.

Two limpers, one raise, and push from SB?

His push sends a lot of strength wanting to get his hand involved vs so many potentially strong hands.

You had 20 BB and from the sounds of your table you had a pretty easy table to play on. If this wasnt on the bubble then this would have been an OK play. But since you were on the bubble you have to be more risk aware.

His play was a bit maniac, but he could have had any pocket, as well as AQ,AK which pretty much leaves you at a flip.

It's a spot where I probably would call sometimes and sometimes not, depending on how tilt I am :D . But your read was good, you just got unlucky.
    • daithi1990
      daithi1990
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys, i think i was kinda forced into that line the way i played the hand. Will sit back and contemplate particular lines of hands especially at that stage of tournaments.I think with his style he would have squeezed with the amount of chips on the table esp after my raise. I think the passive line would have been better on reflection as an information obtaining mechanism.
    • JohanRember
      JohanRember
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daithi1990
      Thanks for the advice guys, i think i was kinda forced into that line the way i played the hand. Will sit back and contemplate particular lines of hands especially at that stage of tournaments.I think with his style he would have squeezed with the amount of chips on the table esp after my raise. I think the passive line would have been better on reflection as an information obtaining mechanism.
      Reading it again... It's a difficult spot for me. I wouldn't say it's a big mistake (if at all). For MTTs they usually talk about winning and not just making the minimum paycheck.

Tough spot.

I see you are new here, welcome. And do read the material on MTTs and watch MTT videos from Seaberger and AaronLambert - they're good!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I'll move this over to MTT Discussion :)

You may want to re-post for Hand Evaluation too ;)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi daithi
      If you had those reads the hand is well played and absolutely reasonable imo. Reads are essential in MTT's and if you have a good read you should act on it.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      It all depends on the stacksizes of all the players. You being 20BB deep says nothing really.