Brutal bad beat

• GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Second hand of the SnG...

Full Tilt Poker Game #6134176498: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (46693907), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:50:49 ET - 2008/04/22
      Seat 1: bigmackelowna (1,485)
      Seat 2: sthicks (1,470)
      Seat 3: giace (1,500)
      Seat 4: Charlie Rolex (1,545)
      Seat 5: jdog1188 (1,500)
      Seat 6: Caroh (1,500)
      sthicks posts the small blind of 15
      giace posts the big blind of 30
      The button is in seat #1
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to giace [K :spade: J :spade:]
      Charlie Rolex folds
      jdog1188 calls 30
      Caroh folds
      bigmackelowna folds
      sthicks calls 15
      giace checks
      *** FLOP *** [A :spade: 4 :spade: 2 :spade:]
      sthicks checks
      giace checks
      jdog1188 bets 90
      sthicks calls 90
      giace calls 90
      *** TURN *** [A :spade: 4 :spade: 2 :spade:] [A :club:]
      sthicks checks
      giace checks
      jdog1188 bets 90
      sthicks folds
      giace raises to 180
      jdog1188 calls 90
      *** RIVER *** [A :spade: 4 :spade: 2 :spade: A :club:] [9 :spade:]
      giace checks
      jdog1188 bets 720
      giace has 15 seconds left to act
      giace raises to 1,200, and is all in
      jdog1188 calls 480, and is all in
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      giace shows [K :spade: J :spade:] a flush, Ace high
      jdog1188 shows [A :diamond: 9 :heart:] a full house, Aces full of Nines
      jdog1188 wins the pot (3,120) with a full house, Aces full of Nines
      giace stands up
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 3,120 | Rake 0
      Board: [A :spade: 4 :spade: 2 :spade: A :club: 9 :spade:]
      Seat 1: bigmackelowna (button) didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 2: sthicks (small blind) folded on the Turn
      Seat 3: giace (big blind) showed [Ks Js] and lost with a flush, Ace high
      Seat 4: Charlie Rolex didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 5: jdog1188 showed [Ad 9h] and won (3,120) with a full house, Aces full of Nines
      Seat 6: Caroh didn't bet (folded)

Flopped the nuts, and he gets runner runner full house... I figured him for a Q of spades, but had a horrible feeling inside telling me he had A9 on the river, but I didn't listen....
  • 24 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ...and that's exactly why you shouldn't slowplay/miniraise in a s&g, learn from this experience! The winner of the hand played better then you did, so next time: bet flop, bet turn, bet river!
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      raise flop for value
      raise more on turn
      shove river
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      lol, the guy had 10 outs on the turn, it wasn't even a bad beat. It was just horribly played.

Flopped the nuts

K J isn't the nuts on a A 2 4 board...
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      lol, the guy had 10 outs on the turn, it wasn't even a bad beat. It was just horribly played.

Flopped the nuts

Bahhh okey next to nuts...

And what the others have been saying about betting the whole way, say i make a feelbet on the flop, he's quite likely to call, and when he hits that second Ace he's not going anywhere (unless maybe the river is a spade, and I mean a non nine spade)... So I was pretty much destined to lose my money in this pot, coz unless I overbet the pot on the flop he's going nowhere...

I don't think I played this hand so horribly, I got unlucky... I was not afraid to let him catch a spade because I had the King of spades. It's easy to know the right moves when you know what your opponent is holding...
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GIACE

Flopped the nuts

Bahhh okey next to nuts...

And what the others have been saying about betting the whole way, say i make a feelbet on the flop, he's quite likely to call, and when he hits that second Ace he's not going anywhere (unless maybe the river is a spade, and I mean a non nine spade)... So I was pretty much destined to lose my money in this pot, coz unless I overbet the pot on the flop he's going nowhere...
      exactly. that's why you should open-fold the flop.
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout

sorry, open-fold? :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black

Fold when you can check aswell :)
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      So at what point do you suggest I fold? On the turn? River?

I was actually thinking about folding on the river but couldn't bring my self to do it. We all make mistakes.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze

swissmoumout was making bad jokes (again). An open-fold is when your first move is to fold - even though you could have checked. This is of course a completely dumb move that one should never make.

In your case, that he hits the runner-runner FH is bad luck - but as nicks said - with slowplaying / minraising you are not giving him any other option than to stay in the hand. You should have simply played it more aggresively from the get go.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      you didnt protect the turn, which is a biiiiig mistake. He had ten outs, and you let him draw to one of them for free. Note that he had 3 9 outs, but also 1 ace, 3 deuces, and 3 fours, for a total of 10 outs. So you played horrible, and thats why you should bet all streets.
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      you didnt protect the turn, which is a biiiiig mistake. He had ten outs, and you let him draw to one of them for free. Note that he had 3 9 outs, but also 1 ace, 3 deuces, and 3 fours, for a total of 10 outs. So you played horrible, and thats why you should bet all streets.
      Okey I should've bet the turn, but do you really think he would've folded trip aces? This is a 2$ SnG, people don't really make monster folds in this...
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Okey I should've bet the turn, but do you really think he would've folded trip aces? This is a 2$ SnG, people don't really make monster folds in this...
      No, but at least you wouldve got the money in while being ahead, which is what poker is all about.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      swissmoumout was making a very witty, subtle joke
      fyp
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      Well I just got into a rather amusing situation just minutes ago... First hand of the SnG!

Pot odds we're good so I called preflop and got a decent flop :tongue:

Full Tilt Poker Game #6147095626: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (46792283), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:29:50 ET - 2008/04/23
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to giace [4d 9s]
      Sexshun_8 raises to 60
      DeathxDealer1 calls 60
      Gilgamesh69 has 15 seconds left to act
      Gilgamesh69 folds
      mr pata folds
      MunkeyPoker folds
      giace calls 30
      *** FLOP *** [9h 4c 4s]
      giace bets 60
      Sexshun_8 raises to 120
      DeathxDealer1 has 15 seconds left to act
      DeathxDealer1 folds
      giace calls 60
      *** TURN *** [9h 4c 4s] [Kh]
      giace bets 250
      Sexshun_8 calls 250
      *** RIVER *** [9h 4c 4s Kh] [6h]
      giace has 15 seconds left to act
      giace bets 600
      Sexshun_8 raises to 1,070, and is all in
      giace calls 470, and is all in
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      Sexshun_8 shows [6d 6s] a full house, Sixes full of Fours
      giace mucks
      Sexshun_8 wins the pot (3,075) with a full house, Sixes full of Fours
      giace stands up
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 3,075 | Rake 0
      Board: [9h 4c 4s Kh 6h]
      Seat 1: MunkeyPoker (small blind) folded before the Flop
      Seat 2: giace (big blind) mucked [4d 9s] - a full house, Fours full of Nines
      Seat 3: Sexshun_8 showed [6d 6s] and won (3,075) with a full house, Sixes full of Fours
      Seat 4: DeathxDealer1 folded on the Flop
      Seat 5: Gilgamesh69 didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 6: mr pata (button) didn't bet (folded)

Can't help but to laugh when I saw his hand... God I love this game! :D

I think I know you're gonna say I should've bet more on the flop, but if I would have reraised him I would have given away the strength of my hand. I put him on an overpair to the flop, was a bit scared he had KK when the turn hit but wasn't too worried.

Any thoughts?
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      fold preflop!!!!!

bet more on flop, dont reraise, just call his reraise. Bet ~130 into that 195 pot.
      bet more on turn, bet ~300 into that 435 pot.
      openpush river.

Plz (re)read the articles/visit coachings/post hands in the sample hand board, you're not doing it right. You play pretty bad, no offense, but we are here to help you :) .
    • GIACE
      GIACE
      Bronze
      fold preflop!!!!!

bet more on flop, dont reraise, just call his reraise. Bet ~130 into that 195 pot.
      bet more on turn, bet ~300 into that 435 pot.
      openpush river.

Plz (re)read the articles/visit coachings/post hands in the sample hand board, you're not doing it right. You play pretty bad, no offense, but we are here to help you :) .
      I don't think the way the articles say you should play are the only way to play poker... I try to mix it up, and you think I play bad because I've posted two hands here which didn't end up they way I wanted. Does that mean that happens in all my hands? No.

I know I'm a good player, but all good players make mistakes. If you can name one player in the world who plays every hand perfect than you have achieved the impossible.

And again I say, it's pretty easy to be the know it all genius when you have seen the other players hand. I had pot odds of 5.5/1 and if I wouldn't have hit it hard I would have just folded... The fact of the matter is that there is no one right way to play a hand, and I got unlucky, he cought a two outer, thats poker. Does that mean I play bad? If it does everyone should just stop playing poker.

And no offence taken, I posted this because I wanted opinions.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      There isn't a perfect way to play poker, but that doesn't mean there is no wrong way to play poker.

The first hand is definitely played wrong. You let him draw cheaply. If you gave him the wrong odds and got all your money in when you were ahead you will be a winning player in the long run. If you always flop the best hand but let people draw cheaply and then get most of your money in behind you will never be a winning player. Protection is a very important aspect in poker, without it you will never be a winning player.

If you want opinions on your hands, post them in the sample hands forum. If you hide the results nobody knows which hand your opponent had so they give a good evaluation of the way you played the hand.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      there is no perfect way to play, but there is a better way to play.