deezer79

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Opening thread for NL Beginners' course. Skipping to the homework but promise I will watch the video :) .

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Poker is a constantly evolving game with many layers and I embrace the challenge to master it. I love to play, I need to get my mindset under control and of course, want to make money. The idea of being able to supplement my income by playing a game (or even turning pro) is exciting.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Tilt is a huge factor for me and it doesn't take much for me to get spewy. When I lose (which I know is inevitable) the motivation for me to play more is zero. I take it too casually. Currently being a bit too aggro.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To play premium hands as aggressively as possible and not get into marginal situations. Likely a player with low VPIP and comparatively high PFR.
  • 7 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Welcome to the course deezer79 :)

Homework #1 looks good to me, I'm sure you'll do fine here! :f_biggrin:
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Just completed lesson 1. Have been taking some time away from poker (mostly due to work schedule) but I have a day off tomorrow so will probably be hitting the tables. I'm having the same problem with the starting hand chart that I had when I first completed the SnG quiz I took when I first joined.

It seems just far too tight to me. The idea that I would fold AK against a 3-bet from a player (except one that I knew was insanely tight) is strange to me. Wouldn't usually just call the 3-bet and especially wouldn't out of position but to me, that's a hand I'm more than willing to get it in with. Seems to me that I'm wasting opportunities to make money if I'm folding AQs to a loose player who raises my blind. To assume everyone at the tables plays this tight is IMO a costly mistake.

When I'm next on I will give the fold anything but AA and KK (against aggro players) approach a go. Hellmuth taught me a similar approach in the first poker book I ever read but it just didn't stick. Let's hope the further lessons inspire me to play more creatively and that this one will make me some money :) .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

That's very common to lose motivation when you are losing money. You just have to understand the basics and that poker will be always about at some point winning big time, at some point losing a lot and at some point playing break-even. You rather should focus on fixing your leaks and try to find out how to play better and earn more profit. :) Don't concentrate on the losing factor and try to get used to it which with time of course will happen. :)

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      First session back to the tables didn't last an hour. Just couldn't hold to the starting hand charts the beginners' course suggested. Went and got it in with AK when 3bet by an aggro player who had AQ - obv fold and now am tilted. Guess the chart knew what would happen there. Just gotta wait for AA or KK to beat the odds, wish I got dealt them more :) .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by deezer79
      First session back to the tables didn't last an hour. Just couldn't hold to the starting hand charts the beginners' course suggested. Went and got it in with AK when 3bet by an aggro player who had AQ - obv fold and now am tilted. Guess the chart knew what would happen there. Just gotta wait for AA or KK to beat the odds, wish I got dealt them more :) .
      Chart doesn't tell you what you always should do but rather it teaches you the basics and later on when you will be ready for it you can always expand your ranges. ;)
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Hi Veriz! I'm sure that I'm past the chart and as mentioned, there are some points which I disagree with. Just venting a little 'cos I made the right move at the wrong time :) . Which is a move that the articles in Lesson One said I shouldn't make. Haven't played for the best part of a week and it was an unfortunate welcome back from Party Poker.
      However, I did play a little bit more using my Poker770 account with the start-up capital given to me. Cashed first in two 1 table SnGs and made a BI (NL4) playing a little cash. So I'm about even.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Great to hear mate! Keep the chin up. But don't forget, in poker we talk about long term not just few wins.