Recommend a BOOK!

• z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      That's right, a BOOK!

It can be anything, from fictional to educational.

Let me start.

Derren Brown - Tricks of Mind

You might think at first "Wait, that guy from TV that makes those crappy shows and thinks he's a magician of some kind?" That was my attitude at first too.
      But as you start reading you realize that Derren Brown is hell of a smart man, realizing he is no more but illusist. He touches the topics of memory (learning to memorize list of 100 random items in 3 minutes), hypnosis, spotting liars and even "bad thinking" where he criticizes everything from alternative medicine, roulette "winning" betting systems, religion. There are also other topics that I already forgot.

Suggest your own!

EDIT:
      Please also make a short description about the book or just WHY do you think it's good.
  • 30 replies
    • shane0878
      shane0878
      Bronze
      Non poker
      Chickenhawk

One of the better non-fiction books I've ever read.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shane0878
      Non poker
      Chickenhawk

One of the better non-fiction books I've ever read.
      +1000

That book is a real as it gets.

My two cents...

Non Fiction - "The Predator State" - Galbraith
      Fiction - "Foucault's Pendulum" - Eco
      Philosophy - "Ecce Homo" - Nietzsche
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      The Long Ships by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson

Frans Gunnar Bengtsson’s The Long Ships resurrects the fantastic world of the tenth century AD when the Vikings roamed and rampaged from the northern fastnesses of Scandinavia down to the Mediterranean. Bengtsson’s hero, Red Orm—canny, courageous, and above all lucky—is only a boy when he is abducted from his Danish home by the Vikings and made to take his place at the oars of their dragon-prowed ships. Orm is then captured by the Moors in Spain, where he is initiated into the pleasures of the senses and fights for the Caliph of Cordova. Escaping from captivity, Orm washes up in Ireland, where he marvels at those epicene creatures, the Christian monks, and from which he then moves on to play an ever more important part in the intrigues of the various Scandinavian kings and clans and dependencies. Eventually, Orm contributes to the Viking defeat of the army of the king of England and returns home an off-the-cuff Christian and a very rich man, though back on his native turf new trials and tribulations will test his cunning and determination. Packed with pitched battles and blood feuds and told throughout with wit and high spirits, Bengtsson’s book is a splendid adventure that features one of the most unexpectedly winning heroes in modern fiction. Frans Gunnar Bengtsson’s The Long Ships resurrects the fantastic world of the tenth century AD when the Vikings roamed and rampaged from the northern fastnesses of Scandinavia down to the Mediterranean. Bengtsson’s hero, Red Orm—canny, courageous, and above all lucky—is only a boy when he is abducted from his Danish home by the Vikings and made to take his place at the oars of their dragon-prowed ships. Orm is then captured by the Moors in Spain, where he is initiated into the pleasures of the senses and fights for the Caliph of Cordova. Escaping from captivity, Orm washes up in Ireland, where he marvels at those epicene creatures, the Christian monks, and from which he then moves on to play an ever more important part in the intrigues of the various Scandinavian kings and clans and dependencies. Eventually, Orm contributes to the Viking defeat of the army of the king of England and returns home an off-the-cuff Christian and a very rich man, though back on his native turf new trials and tribulations will test his cunning and determination. Packed with pitched battles and blood feuds and told throughout with wit and high spirits, Bengtsson’s book is a splendid adventure that features one of the most unexpectedly winning heroes in modern fiction.

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

The Bourne Identity is a 1980 spy fiction thriller novel by Robert Ludlum about a retrograde amnesiac who must discover who he is and why several groups, including an assassin and the CIA, are trying to kill him. It is the first of the original Bourne Trilogy by Ludlum, and in further posthumous novels by Eric Van Lustbader, featuring Jason Bourne.

If you loved the Bourne movies, then you'll love even more this book. I`m gonna start reading the next 2 books of the collection soon :p

Both books are awesome, I loved reading them :f_biggrin:
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      Redemption,the Tookie Williams story, great book about a great man, who changed his life and that of others. Well worth a read.
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      As for a poker book ive just finished reading the Tao of Poker by Larry Phillips.

Good book tries to get you to think a lil differently and is really worth a look and is cheap as chips on Amazon.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      i'm currently reading the mental game of poker, i'll let you know how it is once i've finished it :f_biggrin:
    • AGTpunx
      AGTpunx
      Bronze
      Anything by Charles Bukowski - especially 'Ham and Rye'
    • FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      The Hustler by Walter Tevis. (Later filmed with Paul Newman in the lead.)

It is a gritty coming of age story about what the young pretender needs to learn to beat the established master. Although it is set in pool halls, it could easily be set around the poker tables.
    • AwaysRemember
      AwaysRemember
      Bronze
      A song of ice and fire by G. Martin the best fantasy book series I have read in quite some time. Game of thrones on HBO is based on the first book.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I second that. Nearly finished the series, and its the bloodiest fantasy book ive read, ever.
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      The great and secret show by Clive Barker. It's quite a few years old now but wow that dude knows how to spin a crazy tale!
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      Gambling Wizards
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      The Da Vinci Code
      Angels and Demons

Both by Dan Brown.

The films did not do them justice IMO.

Great fast action reads.
    • Kamuflagee
      Kamuflagee
      Basic
      mouse
    • Skeepe729
      Skeepe729
      Bronze
      Triple Your Reading Speed by Wade E. Cutler , eye exercises, expands vision, and other reading techniques , helpful for "how to improve eye soreness :f_biggrin:
    • sharpred
      sharpred
      Bronze
      My big toe
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      the earagon series,

film was apsalutly awful but the books are a must read for fantasy fans, they are honestly incredable
    • ohmesohrny
      ohmesohrny
      Basic
      With the new Hunger Games movie coming out. Those books may be a good read
    • jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      I am a huge huge fan of Isaac Asimov, his books are just awesome, I would recomend the book :

"The complete robot"

A compilation of short stories about robots, many are quite memorable, many of the stories discuss artificial intelligence and the human-robot reletions.

Even if you are not into sci-fi a very recomended reading, no to mention his "Foundation" series of books which are freaking cool. :s_cool: