stack sizes in multi table tourney final table?

• alfonsaaberg
      alfonsaaberg
      Basic
      Hi!

Does anyone know about any general rules with regards to relative stack sizes at the final table in multi table tournaments after qualifying rounds?

I am about to play a final table based upon 10 heats where the players were awarded points relative to their position in the heats. In each heat the winner was awarded 30 points, runner-up 27 points and so on with points awarded for the first 10 places.

Now, the leader of the qualifiers, having earned 144 points before the final table, feels that the stack sizes on the final table should be based on the points, that is 144.000 chips for the leader, 120.000 chips for the runner-up and so on. The final table chip allocation was not discussed before the beginning of the qualifiers, but I feel that it's a bit unfair, considering that last place has only about 14.000 with blinds starting at 500/1000. I know that of course that is the name of the game :)

But my question is this: Does anyone know of standard rules regarding how chips are distributed based on qualifier heat points, i.e. in big televised tournaments and the like? Does anyone have any experience in organizing tournaments? What are your thoughts?

Thank you
      aa
  • 1 reply
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      This should normally depend on the rules that are set before the heats start.
      If there was no exact rule and the general understanding was that the 9 best players in the leaderboard qualify for a final table, each player should start with the exact same stack into the final table. Everything else should be clear before players start into the heats since it might have big impacts on their play. Basing the starting stacks on the heat results MUST be anounced before the first heat starts since it is a game changing act.

Regards,
      Asaban

EDIT: My answer is not based on any official rules - just on my general understanding of the game.