gavinonymous' NL25SH PLOG

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Hello readers, I'm making a plog to follow and chronicle this year's grinding efforts - and general chat/fun stuff.

I've been playing for about 4 years, not too seriously, and have had some successes and some failures.. Usually the success is long and steady, while the failures are short and violent. I'm probably a lifetime breakeven player but would be much further ahead were it not for just a few nights of unrestrained tilt..haven't we all?

I'm attempting to plog regularly this year in an effort to combat poor play, and add motivation to my game.

In addition to a fresh start to the plog I'm starting fresh at a new site.

Thanks to a pokerstrategy offer that I found -EV to pass up, I moved my roll recently to another platform,.

My status is tracked again, and I have a decent roll to start to grind with.

I will post occasional graphs and stats, along with hand history discussions. I'm by no means an expert on the game, merely an avid learner and enthusiast. I hope you're not shy about adding your opinions here. I welcome any advice or help, sweat sessions, I use skype - it's usually off.

several of my own weaknesses to work on:

Playing when too tired..... if I raise because 56 looks like 66 it's time to quit.
      Playing too high..... what can I say, I'm Canadian.
      Overestimating my ability.
      Underestimating the opponent's ability or cards
      Bluffing non-thinking opponents in poor spots
      Floating without equity and folding the turn.
      Calling 3bets out of position with 100bb
      Playing too loose open raising from SB
      Cbetting too muich, not Cbetting enough.
      Calling for set value and trying to get fancy on later streets
      Racing too loosely with shortstacks because I hate them (ego driven)
      Check calling the river, or calling the river with top pair or A-high hands impulsively

That's a lot to start with, I'll add more as I find them, and hopefully eliminate some of these from the list.

I might as well add some of my strengths, It's probably important to maintain and work on these as well.

Patience: Able to wait for a good hand
      Ability to fold: I can let go of KK, QQ, and not chase the idiot straight on a dangerous board
      Equity estimation skills
      Putting opponents on ranges
      Good at dealing with over aggressive and maniacs (i.e. leave the table if on your left)
      Decent table and seat selection when possible
      Awareness of own table image
      Awareness of table dynamics
      Not play too many tables (4 is maximum)
      Thick skin to bad beats
      Ability to refocus, relax or take breaks/short sessions.

So, fresh new roll, new site, new player pool - every reader is +EV. thanks in advance for your contributions :f_p:

memes go here:
  • 10 replies
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      One of the more interesting hands from the first day's session. I'm not sure about the turn with deepstacks..comments welcome.

Seat 5 is the button

Seat 4: Hero ( $52.38 USD ) - VPIP: 24, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 2.1, Hands: 2398
      Seat 6: Player6 ( $51.27 USD ) - VPIP: 22, PFR: 9, 3B: 2, AF: 0.8, Hands: 264

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BTN: $26.59 (106.4 bb)
      BB: $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $52.38 (209.5 bb)
      UTG: $22.02 (88.1 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      SB: $51.27 (205.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K T
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BTN folds, SB calls $0.65, BB folds

Flop: ($1.75) 5 A J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.25, SB calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.25) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB raises to $8.75, Hero calls $5.75

River: ($21.75) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $10.33, Hero raises to $41.63 and is all-in, SB calls $30.19

Results: $102.79 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 5 A J Q 9
      Hero showed K T and won $99.79 ($48.52 net)
      SB showed 5 5 and lost (-$51.27 net)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      saw this video today, and got me thinking.. so why not.

It seems a good analogy for how the mind works or doesn't work at the poker table.

Each metronome represents an independent piece of information/thought process.

There are always several simultaneous and sometimes competing pieces of information present in our minds.

The solid table represents one poker mindset. A rigid surface where each independent piece of information generates its own outcome and is considered independently

If we consider each piece of information presented to us separately, using our rigid table mindset, we can often be confused and lead us to make the wrong decision.

If however we consider each piece of information as a part of a coherent consistent picture - it's like putting all the metronomes on a surface that is not tied to rigid preconceptions, but free to move and reposition according to the information presented to it.

this 'fluid' poker mindset is essential to forming a correct coherent picture from all of the information being presented. as you can see in the video, each metronome originally has its own beat.. the information is not shared with the other metronomes because the table does not allow any movement.

once we remove the rigid support of the preconceived table, and connect them using a freely moving platform, each metronome relies on information from the next, until a coherent beat is arrived at.

each metronome moves the freely moving platform back and forth, which provides new conditions for the other metronomes and vice-versa. this is how we must process information at the poker table .. not as seperate rigid non-interacting pieces of information, but as fluid, responsive and interactive data. that must (at the end of the hand) provide a coherent picture.

hope that makes sense..

from a youtube comment: "Notice how much smaller the amplitude of oscillation is after they are in resonance with one another: It happens because the waves are able to destructively interfere as the sliding board provides them a way to transfer their wave pattern to each other. This results in 5 waves of equal frequency but lower energy (amplitude)." also goes along nicely with the analogy.
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      Playing NL25/50 right now and also Canadian so I'll definitely be following. With KT in that spot I think I like 3Betting the turn particularly vs this villain, he's not raising that turn almost ever with air IMO so we're left with AJ, AQ, 55, JJ, maybe QJ, I wouldn't give this player credit for semibluffing the turn to begin with and couple that with the fact that you have the Tc so now he can't have ATc or 9Tc so he has a strong made hand that he'll have trouble getting away from. I think you lose some value when a club comes on the river too.

GL at the tables

oh and a mod is gunna tell u not to post ur skype on the forums
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ClimaxingWalrus
      Playing NL25/50 right now and also Canadian so I'll definitely be following. With KT in that spot I think I like 3Betting the turn particularly vs this villain, he's not raising that turn almost ever with air IMO so we're left with AJ, AQ, 55, JJ, maybe QJ, I wouldn't give this player credit for semibluffing the turn to begin with and couple that with the fact that you have the Tc so now he can't have ATc or 9Tc so he has a strong made hand that he'll have trouble getting away from. I think you lose some value when a club comes on the river too.

GL at the tables

oh and a mod is gunna tell u not to post ur skype on the forums
      oops. thanks for the tip, and nice to meet a fellow Canadian. as for the hand, I agree, if we weren't so deep.. then the thought came into my mind about reverse implied odds.. but at that point am I really going to fold if the river pairs or the flush draw comes in?
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      Not sure I understand exactly what your talking about with regards to the reverse implied odds question, can you word it a little differently? I don't think you should EVER be folding a club because he's flatting the turn with all his combo's of club draws so he never has a flush, my worry is that if a club comes it will be hard for him to bet/call what he has on the river (he still has at least 162bb's before he bets that river so quite a bit) and a T or K could come and kill your action and have him ck/call the river. Whereas if you 3bet the turn I don't think he's flatting the turn 3Bet OOP so your getting in 200bb's with at least 78% equity almost always.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      that's what i wasn't sure about. with so much money left in our stacks on the turn, even though I'm 3:1 or more to win, i have much more money to lose. If the board pairs, I might get away from an all in. especially if an A comes. A 3bet looks very strong and might chase away a two pair type or drawing hand when we're this deep.

thanks again, hopefully my silver status should kick in shortly i'll read up on deepstacks play.

stealth edit with a hand:

Hero ( $28.20 USD ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 2.2
      Player4 ( $31.12 USD ) - VPIP: 23, PFR: 10, 3B: 4, AF: 1.0, Hands: 315

BB: $27.55 (110.2 bb)
      CO: $15.12 (60.5 bb)
      BTN: $27.31 (109.2 bb)
      Hero (MP): $28.20 (112.8 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $31.12 (124.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A A
      UTG raises to $1, Hero raises to $3, 4 folds, UTG calls $2

Flop: ($6.35) T 4 6 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $5.50, UTG raises to $28.12 and is all-in, Hero calls $19.70 and is all-in

I realize that I didn't? protect from a flush draw, and the odds of him flopping a flush are low enough. I think I should have overbet the flop, but my reads were on even if I did make a -EV sized bet. going to equilate the numbers and see what it looks like.

Turn: ($56.75) T (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($56.75) 5 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $56.75 pot ($2.83 rake)
      Final Board: T 4 6 T 5
      Hero showed A A and won $53.92 ($25.72 net)
      UTG showed K A and lost (-$28.20 net)

and one more, not so exciting but more interesting as I get more confidence with river play based on my assessment of ranges and opponent strength/tendencies.

Seat 1: Hero ( $25.35 USD ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 2.2, Hands:
      Seat 3: Player3 ( $15.86 USD ) - VPIP: 13, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 8

BB: $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      SB: $15.86 (63.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A K
      Hero raises to $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB folds

Flop: ($1.75) T 3 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.75) J (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($3.75) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero raises to $5.25, SB folds

i think this is a good spot to bluff, and I might even be ahead.

Results: $6.75 pot ($0.33 rake)
      Final Board: T 3 3 J 5
      Hero mucked A K and won $6.42 ($3.17 net)
      SB mucked and lost (-$3.25 net)
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      Yeah dont be shy about getting it in with 78% equity deep lol. That's essentially like getting it in with AA vs KK and I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to do that. Also keep in mind that 78% is at worst, you'll probably get it in there on average with 84% and potentially 91%.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      off to a good start on this site, so far this week only about 5k hands but some good indications..

there are plenty of poor players at this limit and the bonus is easily clearable playing only 4 tables.

i'm managing not to tilt, or if I'm feeling tilty I've managed to quit playing...or at least leave the table quickly.

today is good even though traffic is low (only about 11k players) I'm going to try one of the tourneys to check out the quality of the field, if it's as bad as I think, with the overlay I should at least give a shot.

Two hands that occurred back to back against the same fish show why it's important to keep your cool when bad shit happens to you.

Hand 1.

Hero ( $29.57 USD ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 2.2, Hands: 4193
      Player4 ( $19.64 USD ) - VPIP: 69, PFR: 10, 3B: 11, AF: 0.9, Hands: 39

Hero (BTN): $29.57 (118.3 bb)
      MP: $19.64 (78.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A A
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.25, CO folds, Hero raises to $1, 2 folds, MP calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.35) K 6 8 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.50, MP raises to $3, Hero raises to $5.75, MP raises to $18.64 and is all-in, Hero calls $12.89

I'm not considering a fold and I think my 3bet is too small.. I'm ahead or even I figure with a slight chance of a set, but i don't expect so. I think I 3bet for value and also to induce his shove from worse hands.

Turn: ($39.63) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($39.63) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $39.63 pot ($1.98 rake)
      Final Board: K 6 8 5 8
      Hero showed A A and lost (-$19.64 net)
      MP showed 9 7 and won $37.65 ($18.01 net)

VERY shortly after..the next hand actually. I snap call because I'm steamed.. and I have a suited, er.. connector..thank goodness for autorebuy!

Hero (CO): $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $37.65 (150.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4 8
      UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.85) 8 8 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.75, BB folds, UTG calls $0.75

..I perk up on the flop. and bet like I'm steamed..quickly.

Turn: ($2.35) 4 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2

. again a quick bet, in case villain notices i should be steaming from the last hand, and here's a great opportunity to take my easy money if their hand is good.

River: ($6.35) Q (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $22 and is all-in, UTG calls $22

perfect river card to shove. really happy I came out ahead even with the rake..

Results: $50.35 pot ($2.51 rake)
      Final Board: 8 8 3 4 Q
      Hero showed 4 8 and won $47.84 ($22.84 net)
      UTG showed A T and lost (-$25 net)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Well, the tourney structure was wayy faster than I imagined. starting stack 3000 but within a few minutes I had 30bb. Not much poker there.. chances of isolating a fish in 6 limpers isn't so great. And you can't really resteal effectively when they will call you down with weak offsuit aces. Basically a flipament. I'll stay away from the speeds, unless I'm going to grind them. Good value in these tourneys, overlay and terrible fields at $10 buy-in

As far as cash games go, I'm doing well, but I have trouble starting my sessions lately. It's kind of a winning tilt, where I feel afraid to lose. I think I just need a warm-up, I'm confident in my game.

Lucky I kept a small roll on stars to play when I'm tilty, to warm up, or just have fun. So far I've added 50% to it, mostly trying out aggro moves and being a general pain in the ass.

I like the idea from Bierbaer about picking one reg and making his life hell. Of course, I'm only doing it to help him improve his game/table selection skills. so no bad karma right?

ok, enough procrastination. I'll procrastinate only another hour and then attend a coaching. after that I hope to feel ready to crush a couple thousand hands.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Interesting hand I recently played on stars. I play NL5 to warm up and have some fun.

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):
      $5.14
      SB:
      $5.24
      BB:
      $5.27
      MP3:
      $5.32
      CO:
      $3.42

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB raises to $0.50, BB folds, Hero calls $0.35.

I would normally want to 4 bet here and get it in, but can't think of a reason to so i call.

Flop: ($1.05) 6, 5, 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60.

why not bet.. have some FE and not much else. I plan to give up if called or raised.

Turn: ($2.25) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

what's the point?

River: ($2.25) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

I think about pushing but the rake says no. nh sir.

Final Pot: $2.25.

Results follow:

Hero shows a straight flush, eight high(J J).
      SB shows a straight flush, eight high(Q Q).

Hero wins with a straight flush, eight high(J J).
      SB wins with a straight flush, eight high(Q Q).

--------- ----------- ---------

Since I haven't been freerolling in a long time, this one felt good.

Seat 2: Player2 ( $26.10 USD ) - VPIP: 22, PFR: 20, 3B: 12, AF: 6.4, Hands: 225
      Seat 5: Hero ( $28.63 USD ) - VPIP: 26, PFR: 20, 3B: 7, AF: 2.3

CO: $26.10 (104.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $28.63 (114.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.60) T A J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.14, Hero raises to $3, CO raises to $8.50, Hero raises to $27.88 and is all-in, CO calls $16.85 and is all-in

Turn: ($52.30) 5 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($52.30) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $52.30 pot ($2.61 rake)
      Final Board: T A J 5 3
      CO showed K Q and lost (-$26.10 net)
      Hero showed Q K and won $49.69 ($23.59 net)