Unlearning Bad Habits?

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I assume other players do it, or maybe it's just me but I'm looking for your thoughts on this..

I am playing micro stakes, I'm ok for the limits I play but that's all really. My knowledge of poker theory is pretty solid and so is my hand reading when I'm playing my A game but the problems come when I don't play my A game... I was listening to the Jared Tendler radio show on QJ here: http://www.quadjacks.net/?p=8260 (thanks Verneer!) and Tommy Angelo mentioned what he calls 'the fog' that seems to descend on players when they're running badly and this rang true with me big time.

It's like a mist comes over my brain and I default to this autonomous leak filled strategy where villain's range doesn't even come in to my mind and neither do things like pot and implied odds.

This is behaviour I obviously learned when I first started out as I 20 tabled DONs for a while and basically broke even over like 4K games so it shows how badly I was playing without even realising it.

How do I rid this stupid nonsense from my game? I have heard the advice to take it one hand at a time, concentrate on the plus ev decision etc etc but when I hit this frame of mind it's not even like I am concsiously thinking about how I'm playing - I've gone beyond that and it's like I can't find a way back. The worst thing is, it only seems to happen when I run bad so in that sense it's a form of tilt I guess but I don't feel like I have control over my actions and as stupid as it sounds, I don't even realise I'm in this mindset until I've spewed off some stacks.

Anybody else have this problem or can anyone give any constructive advice?
  • 3 replies
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      When does it happen? Only when you tilt, or when also when you play a lot of time or a lot of tables?

On tilt it's very common for things like those to happen. In those cases you have to know what made you tilt, and rationalize it. If it was a bad beat, you should rationalize it and say it wasn't your fault, and that it's perfectly normal in poker. As you do that over and over, you'll start not getting tilted by bad beats, it's what happened to me.

I guess you made that defense to cope with stress though, because you played 20 tables of DoN, and without training it's very stressful to think when you're playing 20 tables at once.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      When does it happen? Only when you tilt, or when also when you play a lot of time or a lot of tables?

On tilt it's very common for things like those to happen. In those cases you have to know what made you tilt, and rationalize it. If it was a bad beat, you should rationalize it and say it wasn't your fault, and that it's perfectly normal in poker. As you do that over and over, you'll start not getting tilted by bad beats, it's what happened to me.

I guess you made that defense to cope with stress though, because you played 20 tables of DoN, and without training it's very stressful to think when you're playing 20 tables at once.
      Thanks for your reply Tosh... To be honest I can't think of a trigger. Bad beats don't really get to me anymore, I mean, sometimes when I'm running super bad and I make some mistakes as well that tilts me pretty hard but I tend to just shut down my tables and go do something else. This really doesn't happen often either.

With the stupid play, I've no idea... It doesn't happen often either but it's enough to seriously damage my winrate because I literally just spew 3, 4 or maybe 5 stacks not through being a complete spew tard but just through stupid calls and bets where I've not thought anything through just to get to showdown and of course villain has it. Every time.

I do play tired a lot but my tired 'B' game if you like is plenty for nl2 lol my winrate probably goes from 10bb\100 to 6bb\100 or something like that but again, if I'm too tired I spot it quickly and close my tables.

I suppose I just need to pay attention when it happens again because I started this thread after spewing some stacks and realising what was happening - I don't think I've ever really spotted it before, just finished the session and said 'meh, run bad' but it's definitely not just run bad, I reckon 70% of what I lost last time this happened would have been avoided had I been playing my normal game.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Originally posted by Tosh5457

Thanks for your reply Tosh... To be honest I can't think of a trigger. Bad beats don't really get to me anymore, I mean, sometimes when I'm running super bad and I make some mistakes as well that tilts me pretty hard but I tend to just shut down my tables and go do something else. This really doesn't happen often either.

With the stupid play, I've no idea... It doesn't happen often either but it's enough to seriously damage my winrate because I literally just spew 3, 4 or maybe 5 stacks not through being a complete spew tard but just through stupid calls and bets where I've not thought anything through just to get to showdown and of course villain has it. Every time.

I do play tired a lot but my tired 'B' game if you like is plenty for nl2 lol my winrate probably goes from 10bb\100 to 6bb\100 or something like that but again, if I'm too tired I spot it quickly and close my tables.

I suppose I just need to pay attention when it happens again because I started this thread after spewing some stacks and realising what was happening - I don't think I've ever really spotted it before, just finished the session and said 'meh, run bad' but it's definitely not just run bad, I reckon 70% of what I lost last time this happened would have been avoided had I been playing my normal game.
      I think the catalyst for that is playing tired... When I came home after university for example, anything bad that happened in a table would make me start spewing money.
      If you say that's not that common, then you just need to identify it when it happens so you can stop, like you said :) .