[NL2-NL10] setmining

• katrin0303
      Hi coach!

Can i consider this bad beat, or can I improve how i played hand here?

Villan was total fish - 90hands = 75 VP$IP/15 PFR

thx for input!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.12, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.12, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.27) T, 2, Q (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.27) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.26, MP2 raises to $0.52, Hero raises to $0.91, MP2 raises to $1.30, Hero calls $0.97, MP2 calls $0.58.

River: ($4.03) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.03.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, eights full of tens(8s 8d).
      MP2 shows a full-house, queens full of tens(Qd Qc).

MP2 wins with a full-house, queens full of tens(Qd Qc).
  • 5 replies
    • BObamaJr
      You clearly made the right move.

With villain's stats a conservative estimate of his range would be as follows: 10Q, AQ, QK, JQ, 22, JK + Flush draws & other straight draws.

If you had a definitive read on villain where you knew that he minraise 3 & 5 bets then you could possibly fold. However, with the available information you made the correct decision.
    • nefarious26
      played fine imo, when he checks flop and turn hes not getting any value from draws etc so i reckon he has a lot of A 10/ k 10 in his range, when he chk/raises turn i would just shove, but i do like min clicking back at fishy players it brings out the best in them :D
    • mbml
      This is a very tricky spot. I do not think it is that easy of an all-in. Let's analyze the hand carefully.

1) QQ is definitely in his range. Players like to slowplay top set very often because there is only 1 Q left in the deck
      2) This 75 VPIP guy may not necessarily be c-betting his draws so I think he may have J9, another hand I am worried about.
      3) Is he playing AA and QT in this manner? If yes, I stack off here. Is he playing 22 and TT this way?

If we actually want to count the number of combinations of hands he could have which play in such a manner, we are not really crushing his range. Of course I'm not asking you to fold, but you could bet/call Turn and call River instead of bet/3bet Turn.

J9 (16 combos = 4 Js X 4 9s)
      AA (3 out of 6 combos) - he doesn't always play AA in this weird fashion so I discount this by half
      QQ (3 combos)
      QT (9 combos)

From this analysis, we can see that we are beating 12 combos of AA and AT and losing to 19 combos of J9 and QQ.

But does he really raise J9 and QT???

His stats are 75/15 so I doubt those hands are in his range. Note that he raised to 6BB so I am going to be putting him on TT/QQ/AA much more often than J9 and QT.

I think when passive players take such strong looking lines (assuming he has low postflop aggression), I would be very afraid. I think you should just call down after that.

As played, we definitely cannot fold after 3betting the Turn but when I see him making the min4bet I am really hating life.
    • nefarious26
    • veriz
      Hello katrin0303,

The problem on turn is that his Check/Raising range will be pretty strong and towards to strong made hand (what do we beat from them?). Therefore I would tend to rather take pot control and reevaluate it on the river. :)

Best Regards.