This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Warming up on lower limits- common ,good?

• ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      This is a question mostly for lower level and above players. Any of you warm up on micro or some other level under your usual? And if, why? Maybe to get a feel for how the cards will fall that night? Don't scream, I know it's skill in the end. May be good to be sure one is settled in alright: hud's working, enough to drink etc?!
  • 16 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      no?
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Just jump right into the limit that my Bankroll Allows :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i dont see why anyone would...

get a feel for how the cards will fall that night

the cards have no memory! it's wrong to think that past events will influence future probabilities.. e.g. "i've had a shit run of cards warming up on nl5, therefore i'll have a shit run of cards when i play on nl10" OR "i've had a shit run of cards for so long i'm bound to hit big pretty soon". it's called the gambler's fallacy..

on another note, i would like to know who drops down to lower limits after spending a period of time away from playing??!
    • XandreW36
      XandreW36
      Bronze
      Think you have a good point here. I have noticed my sessions usually get better after 20 minutes or so (at least i have that feeling looking at my recent session graphs). In the book 'The mental game of poker' Jared suggests taking ~15 min warm up as strategy to get to start with your 'a-game'. To start with: you could review your goals, hand histories, new concepts you're trying to apply into your game, meditating, exercise... He also suggests to play 30-50% of your usual # of tables as extended warm up before really 'grinding'.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I just troll forums as a warm up
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Maybe you would like to check out this thread? :)

How do you warm up for a session?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I generally listen to some of my fave music on youtube. Gets me pumped.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I actually Do this every day, although my situation is a bit unique in that I am supporting myself solely from low stake poker and im living on my own in a foreign country so I am very conservative with my BR.

Basically Ill usually play NL25 SH at the start of the day, If I am losing or playing badly ill stay there. Once I feel im playing my a game Ill move up to NL50 and then NL100. (mix of SH and FR)

Somedays Ill start at NL50 and some days Ill stay at NL50. If I lose more than 3 buyins I always drop down to NL25 (or the level below).

This suits me because NL25 is the lowest I could play all month and still pay the rent and expenses for the month.

This way, when Im not totally on my A game Im playing lower stakes where I dont need my A game to make money. If im playing badly at NL25 then its time to quit for a few hours/the day. This means when I have a bad day my losses are minimal and when Im playing really well or on a heater my winnings are maximised.

Also, I ll often drop down for the the last hour or so of my day when im starting to feel a bit tired but still some hands left to play.

Takes alot of discipline and lack of ego to take this route but for me its a neccessity.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      I actually Do this every day, although my situation is a bit unique in that I am supporting myself solely from low stake poker and im living on my own in a foreign country so I am very conservative with my BR.

Basically Ill usually play NL25 SH at the start of the day, If I am losing or playing badly ill stay there. Once I feel im playing my a game Ill move up to NL50 and then NL100. (mix of SH and FR)

Somedays Ill start at NL50 and some days Ill stay at NL50. If I lose more than 3 buyins I always drop down to NL25 (or the level below).

This suits me because NL25 is the lowest I could play all month and still pay the rent and expenses for the month.

This way, when Im not totally on my A game Im playing lower stakes where I dont need my A game to make money. If im playing badly at NL25 then its time to quit for a few hours/the day. This means when I have a bad day my losses are minimal and when Im playing really well or on a heater my winnings are maximised.

Also, I ll often drop down for the the last hour or so of my day when im starting to feel a bit tired but still some hands left to play.

Takes alot of discipline and lack of ego to take this route but for me its a neccessity.
      nh
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77

Very solid and professional approach, many people including me can learn a thing or two from you.

Btw, if it's not too personal how much is that so called minimum that you need a month?
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      This is not your fulltime job? :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      :D Roo can talk ;)
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      :D Roo can talk ;)
      lol I dont have the monopoly on trolling you know ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I seek no profit out of it and do it because it feels like a right thing to do. It's kinda like I'm the red cross of poker.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      [/quote]Btw, if it's not too personal how much is that so called minimum that you need a month?[/quote]Not much, I moved from London to Budapest where living is very cheap.My rent and all montly bills is around $500 so around $1000 per month is more than enough.

Although right now I dont go out much. I came here to focus soley on poker and I had less than 2k when I got here after deposits/flights etc and have been tying to build a roll back and live off it aswell. The first 6 months where tough but now I am a little more comfortable.

It was a but of a risk coming here with so little but I had had a consistent record for a few years and was sure I could do it and I came to a turning point in my life where there wasnt really any reason for me to stay in England anymore so i took the risk.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I seek no profit out of it and do it because it feels like a right thing to do. It's kinda like I'm the red cross of poker.
      God bless you nightfrost, you really are a saint :f_biggrin: