Warming up on lower limits- common ,good?

• ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      This is a question mostly for lower level and above players. Any of you warm up on micro or some other level under your usual? And if, why? Maybe to get a feel for how the cards will fall that night? Don't scream, I know it's skill in the end. May be good to be sure one is settled in alright: hud's working, enough to drink etc?!
  • 16 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      no?
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Just jump right into the limit that my Bankroll Allows :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i dont see why anyone would...

get a feel for how the cards will fall that night

the cards have no memory! it's wrong to think that past events will influence future probabilities.. e.g. "i've had a shit run of cards warming up on nl5, therefore i'll have a shit run of cards when i play on nl10" OR "i've had a shit run of cards for so long i'm bound to hit big pretty soon". it's called the gambler's fallacy..

on another note, i would like to know who drops down to lower limits after spending a period of time away from playing??!
    • XandreW36
      XandreW36
      Silver
      Think you have a good point here. I have noticed my sessions usually get better after 20 minutes or so (at least i have that feeling looking at my recent session graphs). In the book 'The mental game of poker' Jared suggests taking ~15 min warm up as strategy to get to start with your 'a-game'. To start with: you could review your goals, hand histories, new concepts you're trying to apply into your game, meditating, exercise... He also suggests to play 30-50% of your usual # of tables as extended warm up before really 'grinding'.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I just troll forums as a warm up
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Maybe you would like to check out this thread? :)

How do you warm up for a session?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I generally listen to some of my fave music on youtube. Gets me pumped.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I actually Do this every day, although my situation is a bit unique in that I am supporting myself solely from low stake poker and im living on my own in a foreign country so I am very conservative with my BR.

Basically Ill usually play NL25 SH at the start of the day, If I am losing or playing badly ill stay there. Once I feel im playing my a game Ill move up to NL50 and then NL100. (mix of SH and FR)

Somedays Ill start at NL50 and some days Ill stay at NL50. If I lose more than 3 buyins I always drop down to NL25 (or the level below).

This suits me because NL25 is the lowest I could play all month and still pay the rent and expenses for the month.

This way, when Im not totally on my A game Im playing lower stakes where I dont need my A game to make money. If im playing badly at NL25 then its time to quit for a few hours/the day. This means when I have a bad day my losses are minimal and when Im playing really well or on a heater my winnings are maximised.

Also, I ll often drop down for the the last hour or so of my day when im starting to feel a bit tired but still some hands left to play.

Takes alot of discipline and lack of ego to take this route but for me its a neccessity.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      I actually Do this every day, although my situation is a bit unique in that I am supporting myself solely from low stake poker and im living on my own in a foreign country so I am very conservative with my BR.

Basically Ill usually play NL25 SH at the start of the day, If I am losing or playing badly ill stay there. Once I feel im playing my a game Ill move up to NL50 and then NL100. (mix of SH and FR)

Somedays Ill start at NL50 and some days Ill stay at NL50. If I lose more than 3 buyins I always drop down to NL25 (or the level below).

This suits me because NL25 is the lowest I could play all month and still pay the rent and expenses for the month.

This way, when Im not totally on my A game Im playing lower stakes where I dont need my A game to make money. If im playing badly at NL25 then its time to quit for a few hours/the day. This means when I have a bad day my losses are minimal and when Im playing really well or on a heater my winnings are maximised.

Also, I ll often drop down for the the last hour or so of my day when im starting to feel a bit tired but still some hands left to play.

Takes alot of discipline and lack of ego to take this route but for me its a neccessity.
      nh
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77

Very solid and professional approach, many people including me can learn a thing or two from you.

Btw, if it's not too personal how much is that so called minimum that you need a month?
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      This is not your fulltime job? :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      :D Roo can talk ;)
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      :D Roo can talk ;)
      lol I dont have the monopoly on trolling you know ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I seek no profit out of it and do it because it feels like a right thing to do. It's kinda like I'm the red cross of poker.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      [/quote]Btw, if it's not too personal how much is that so called minimum that you need a month?[/quote]Not much, I moved from London to Budapest where living is very cheap.My rent and all montly bills is around $500 so around $1000 per month is more than enough.

Although right now I dont go out much. I came here to focus soley on poker and I had less than 2k when I got here after deposits/flights etc and have been tying to build a roll back and live off it aswell. The first 6 months where tough but now I am a little more comfortable.

It was a but of a risk coming here with so little but I had had a consistent record for a few years and was sure I could do it and I came to a turning point in my life where there wasnt really any reason for me to stay in England anymore so i took the risk.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I seek no profit out of it and do it because it feels like a right thing to do. It's kinda like I'm the red cross of poker.
      God bless you nightfrost, you really are a saint :f_biggrin: