w0rm24

• w0rm24
      w0rm24
      Bronze
      Hey :)

I'm w0rm24, 22 years old from the UK. I've been playing poker since I was about 17-18 but have only been taking it more seriously over the last couple of years. I've been primarily playing $1 MTTs where, aside from a couple of big cashes, I've been more or less breaking even but I'm getting tired of the variance of them and losing 20 buy-ins without a cash makes me die a little inside.

I've dipped my toe into cash games every now and again with very little success but I've decided to give this course a go and really see if it's possible for me to become a winning cash game player. I currently have $50 in my pokerstars account and want to see how far I can take that playing 2NL and beyond!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

While I definitely enjoy playing the game of poker and spend alot of my time doing so, my primary motivation is making money. I would love to be able to support myself financially by playing poker but even having it as an extra bit of income every month would be great. My dream is to one day be able to play at the main event at the WSOP but I know I'm a little way off that at the moment!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think my main weaknesses are:

- Cold calling too much OOP with drawing hands like AJ, KQ etc.
      - Overplaying top pair post-flop
      - Not respecting post flop raises from players I perceive to be weak and assuming that they are bluffing
      - Raising post flop to try and bluff hands without any real thought behind it.

In general, I feel like my post-flop game is quite weak and something I would really like to improve.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means to play a fairly narrow range of starting hands, playing them in position and making sure to raise with them rather than just call. This also applies to post-flop play, where you should c-bet most flops if you have initiative and bet for value if you have the best hand.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.