[NL20-NL50] sh 25 calling AK high on the river

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      UTG: $20.00 - VPIP: 67, PFR: 13, 3B: 6, AF: 3.3, Hands: 24

Hero (BTN): $25.72 -

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BTN with A :spade: K :diamond:
      UTG checks, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.20, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.20

Flop: ($2.75) 9 :club: Q :heart: 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.25, Hero raises to $2.04, UTG calls $1.79

Turn: ($6.83) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.83) 9 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.00, Hero calls $2

Thought that villain could have some busted straight draws/air hands in his range and that he would bet more with a strong hand so I called expecting it to be a profitable call.

Should I try to barrel on the turn as villain is representing a weak range by his play that will consequently fold a lot vs a barrel ? I chose not to because I considered that I have some showdown value and because turn is a complete blank.
  • 6 replies
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hero (BB): $36.46

CO: $41.65 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 22, 3B: 6, AF: 0.9, Hands: 104

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with A :spade: A :diamond:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO raises to $5.80, Hero calls $3.30

Flop: ($11.70) T :heart: 3 :heart: 2 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($11.70) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($11.70) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Preflop: I thought that shoving will make villain call with a very very tight range and 5betting to 11-12 would look extremely strong so I ended up calling.

Postflop: Wanted to c/r flop as I thought villain is mostly having JJ-AA or AK and thought that he would be betting with his range pretty often. I don't really know if that's the case given that my range should look quite strong. Given that should I lead and maybe try to c/r when I have the A:heart: or c/c ( which might be better given that I am not afraid of anything when I have the nfd as well)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DeMarcohsp,

Against stations most likely I wouldn't even raise there with AK but rather just flat and reevaluate it on the turn. :)

Best Regards.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      ---
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      ---
      Which hand should I evaluate then? :D Just don't post more than 1 hand per thread. :P Not sure if kaitz has told you that but there is rule for that. Plus of course I guess you understand that it's kind of annoying to scroll down/up/down/up to write the evaluation and can't concentrate on one hand.

About AA, as long the guy is tight with 3bets you can also just get it in while he wont pay us much anyways with AK. Especially those 4bet-flats are also very strong hands and maybe even trap-like. You have to be sure that he is capable of continuing postflop with bluffs as well. I do agree that such a play often times might even gain more value if you think he is folding to your 5b.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Sorry Veriz, clicked on the new post instead of the new thread button when I posted the AA hand, but thanks for the analysis, my bad :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      Sorry Veriz, clicked on the new post instead of the new thread button when I posted the AA hand, but thanks for the analysis, my bad :)
      No problemos. :)