[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25, A8 vs fish

• TetraQuark
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 8.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.75, SB folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BU calls $1.75.

Flop: ($5.1) 8, 5, 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU calls $3.00.

Turn: ($11.1) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $4.50, Hero raises to $21.74, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $15.6.

44/30 whale after 20 smth hands.

Firstly I am not so sure about pf 3b, but given the time he folds pf and widness of his range our A8 plays pretty well right, it isn't to bad to 3b pre?

I expect these kind of players to call a lot of oc's on flop, also basically any part of the board that hits him at least once.
      What do you think of turn play? His weak bet is indicates just what I mentioned above and now he is trying to steal the pot cheaply. So we get some more value from him. In this particular case c/shove > bet (specially cuz he is not passive).
  • 2 replies
    • jachis
      I think that you shouldnt make so much assumptions on a villain you only have 20hands on,even thou he doesnt even have a full stack, which highly increases the probability of villain beeing bad.

I dont mind the 3bet pre cause you do have a blocker +Ax does good against all the crap range he can have.

On the flop if you give him a quite wide range with a lot of broadways some sc's and pairs like 66-JJ, I'd expect an aggresive player to raise most FD's and overpairs, so the call on this board seems weak.

I would bet the turn collect value from weaker 8x, Fd's and other weak hands which he doesnt want to let go and probably fold if raised.
    • Kaitz20

if you don´t really want to play A8 oop then 3-betting is perfectly fine. ON the turn I would prefer myself c/c turn to c/c any river, this way he may barrel you twice and if you c/rai turn then it is hard him to call you with worse hands

best regards,