[NL2-NL10] NLSH10: raising turn to gain info

• Zeffke
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 3.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 4, 7, 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.65) A (2 players)
      BB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.85, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.85.

Villain stats (72 hands):

So this is something I'm trying out lately. Raising turn bets with a decent hand on wet flops.

My reasoning:
      By raising I find out where I'm at. I'm making a small raise. It's about the size of another bet to call on the river, however by raising I charge draws and buy myself a free showdown. If he shows resistance I'm done with the hand since on NL10 they will be bluffing here in less then 1%. On the long term my real valueraises are well hidden and I will get payed off bigger.

What you think about this?
  • 1 reply
    • Wriggers
      I like your reasoning, but why do it with a hand that has a lot of showdown value? If you had 7x here then a raise seems good, but when you turn TP against a fishy, aggressive opponent I see no reason to raise and isolate ourselves against the best part of his range and make his random bluffs fold. By raising you don't fold out any Ax, because he's a fish, so whilst you get the free showdown chance you're always behind when the showdown comes.

The only thing you gain out of raising here is charging draws, but he's so loose that he draws are a small part of his range despite it being a very wet flop. And besides, when a fish' draw hits on the river they tend to donk bet anyway in my experience, so you don't get a free showdown against draws that hit, and you don't save any money against better Ax, we just fold out his bluffs.

I do like creative thinking though :)