[NL2-NL10] NLSH10: TPGK IP flush arrives on turn

• Zeffke
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, A.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BU folds, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 8, 5, A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.6) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.6) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10.

Final Pot: $3.8.

SB stats (37 hands)

standard, but should have bet more, like ~0.6$

I prefer checking back to induce a bluff against an aggressive opponent rather then defend against the 4th :diamond: . Because by betting I allow him to only invest money if he beats me and I won't get value out of worse hands or get bluffed of the best hand. Is this correct? Or is it more important to bet and see a free showdown?

I call a bet on every non- :diamond:
  • 1 reply
    • Wriggers
      Bet turn in my opinion. We can definitely get value out of worse with a thin value bet on this turn, such as other Ax hands and maybe 67. We can bet about $0.90 on the turn and then if we get raised we know we're beat, if he calls it's likely we're ahead.

By being IP and betting the turn small we actually get a cheaper showdown than by checking back the flop and calling a river bet if pot control is the aim of the game, we also get a lot of free info by b/f here, when he c/r it's a monster 90% of the time on NL10, so we get this info and make an easy fold rather than calling a bigger bet on the river. Yes we miss out on his spazzy bluffs but chances are he's not complete air floating the flop OOP so he won't bet the river with anything other than TP+ or a missed draw like 67s, which we can get value from on the turn anyway.