Kony 2012

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I recommend every single one of you to watch this and make a difference.
      Please take 30mins of your time to watch this video. You won't regret it.

"KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice."

• 21 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Seen this absolutely everywhere today and still not got round to watching it i'll get on with it now
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Beginning to learn further facts about this whole situation. Whether it's a scam and so on.

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of news and thoughts about this whole push for these plans to go forward?

Whats your thoughts?

Now personally....

There are a lot of unknown facts that the video has NOT told, sure enough its a good thing either way to get this whole situation of the Uganda kids being stolen. But, what we haven't been told is:

- that the organization isn't a recognized one and not an entire "not-for-profit" organization.
      (I understand that the money has to come from some where and calling it "not-for-profit", makes people want to spend money on a lost cause, but the people running the show have to get some kind of payment from it IMHO)

- KONY has been hideout for the past 6 years and all efforts have failed to find him.
      (in the video they say..."its going to happen and all this bs")
      It's great to give people hope but don't give us false hope.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Beginning to learn further facts about this whole situation. Whether it's a scam and so on.

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of news and thoughts about this whole push for these plans to go forward?

Whats your thoughts?

Now personally....

There are a lot of unknown facts that the video has NOT told, sure enough its a good thing either way to get this whole situation of the Uganda kids being stolen. But, what we haven't been told is:

- that the organization isn't a recognized one and not an entire "not-for-profit" organization.
      (I understand that the money has to come from some where and calling it "not-for-profit", makes people want to spend money on a lost cause, but the people running the show have to get some kind of payment from it IMHO)

- KONY has been hideout for the past 6 years and all efforts have failed to find him.
      (in the video they say..."its going to happen and all this bs")
      It's great to give people hope but don't give us false hope.

Why are we not pursuing Western war criminals, Blair, Bush et al? I suppose we'll need a trendy viral, before we consider the notion...
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I watched this video yesterday, it showed that 400,000 people watched this youtube video.

What do you think, how many is it today?

36 million
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I could talk for weeks on end about this kind of videos and organizations, but I really don't want to spend the next few months talking politics and difference of opinion, so I will keep it short and probably not respond further.

1. I believe it is important to bring situations such as this to light, even if I don't agree with most of what Invisible Children do and stand for, and how they go about running their organization and furthering their cause. This video is not the devil, but it's also not a bright light shone into darkness by the saviours of the world.

2. I believe it is important, while this film is very captivating and informative, to research the situation on your own, not blindly join a cause based on a picture painted by one group of people.

3. I believe the critics against Invisible Children are mis-representing the information that is partially true but they try to spread to make IC look bad.

In general, what I always like to tell people when "Told about horrible truths.", use your own brain, don't swallow what people say hook,bait and sinker, if you feel this is important and want to get involved, study the subject, find the best way to help / donate / whatever you want to do when getting involved. Don't just jump at the first impression and join a cause for the sake of it.

TL;DR: Use your brain and think for yourself what to do and with whom to do it.

Regards,
      Richard
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Kony Montana
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      Moving story... I watched this movie the other night,
      Machine Gun Preacher (2011) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1586752/) it's just hard to realize that in this modern world this is still allowed to happen
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      I watched this video yesterday, it showed that 400,000 people watched this youtube video.

What do you think, how many is it today?

36 million
      38million now... and dont forget 14million+ on vimeo.com
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      BTW I pretty much entirely agree with richard.
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      It is an admirable message. However the majority of supporters who donate/involve themselves with the organisations are unaware of the actual situation and what they are truly donating to.

- only 31.5% of IC (Invisible Children) revenue is dedicated towards the 'Ugandan cause'

- Kony is really just a figurehead for the situation. Killing the leader will not necessarily take down the organisation as killing a nation's leader would not destroy the country

IC also supports direct military intervention. Intervention orchestrated either by a sovereign or an organisation is difficult as personal interests are often involved. Many nations will act in their own interest and pursue economic or ideological means or will use the newly occupied as a 'resource haven'.

And as with the Kosovo and Iraqi interventions, there are significant civilian casualties involved with disabling a rebel military force and often severe damage to infastructure and industrial capacity.

The leaders of the organisation probably haven't studied international relations and neither have most of their supporters. It is fine to demand intervention but the group fails to take into account the likely ramifications of such an action.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I agree with rich too, even though its an emotional video and it screams "HELP ME" I didn't click the register button or didn't give my email address when it was asked.

Heartbreaking what happens to those innocent children so I will definitely read more about this organization and see if it convinces me to reg.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      ''In addition to the problems of poverty and nodding disease Izama highlights, Uganda is barely (if at all) democratic, and the president Yoweri Museveni ushered himself to a 4th term last year, taking him to over 25 years in power. Corruption is rampant, social services are minimal, and human rights abuses by the government common and well documented. Oh, and oil is on the way.

Stopping Kony won't change any of these things, and if more hardware and money flow to Museveni's military, Invisible Children's campaign may even worsen some problems.''

Full article: Foreign Policy Blog.
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Gold
      I think its pretty crazy how people watch one 30 minute video and believe everything they see and hear without so much as a little research. A simple research of Africom will tell a lot. ;) Pretty interesting video.

Also dont you think its a little fishy that oil was found in Uganda in 2008/2009.Joseph Kony hasnt been seen since 2006 and if America is really the Hero of the world looking for Villians why arent they out looking for the countless other warlords? :f_confused:
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      I could talk for weeks on end about this kind of videos and organizations, but I really don't want to spend the next few months talking politics and difference of opinion, so I will keep it short and probably not respond further.

1. I believe it is important to bring situations such as this to light, even if I don't agree with most of what Invisible Children do and stand for, and how they go about running their organization and furthering their cause. This video is not the devil, but it's also not a bright light shone into darkness by the saviours of the world.

2. I believe it is important, while this film is very captivating and informative, to research the situation on your own, not blindly join a cause based on a picture painted by one group of people.

3. I believe the critics against Invisible Children are mis-representing the information that is partially true but they try to spread to make IC look bad.

In general, what I always like to tell people when "Told about horrible truths.", use your own brain, don't swallow what people say hook,bait and sinker, if you feel this is important and want to get involved, study the subject, find the best way to help / donate / whatever you want to do when getting involved. Don't just jump at the first impression and join a cause for the sake of it.

TL;DR: Use your brain and think for yourself what to do and with whom to do it.

Regards,

Richard
      +1

Dig a little deeper
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      I thought everyone realised what is this all about when he said "donate couple of dollars and get kit for free"
      WTF i mean really!? :s_o:
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      it's pretty sad, really. the fact that uninformed people can do a lot of damage by acting according to their limited knowledge. 80 years ago, a man named hitler was talking to the poor people of germany (which was the mayority of the population since they had just lost a big war) about those who oppressed them and had made them poor. people started to do something about it, and, well, you know what happened next.

get your facts straight before chosing a side. people have no idea of the power they have and the harm they can do.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Platinum
      This is pure racism, if a white man does the same thing noone raises an eyebrow
    • QuarkJacks
      QuarkJacks
      Bronze