[NL2-NL10] AQ hit ace out of position

• Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

BB ($10.50)
      UTG ($9.85)
      MP ($15)
      CO ($8.60)
      Button ($9.60)
      Hero ($10.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, A.
      2 folds, CO calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.5, 1 fold, CO calls $0.35.

Flop: ($1.05) A, 8, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.7, CO raises to $1.4, Hero calls $0.70.

Turn: ($3.85) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.8, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.85

should i have 3-bet the flop or called the turn or raised the turnor bet the turn?
  • 4 replies
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      Umm, I just dont get it, why fold turn? He limped from CO so most likely he does not have any decent hand that would hit set or two pair on this flop. Only thing that beats you at this moment is J8, right? (assuming he is not limping AA, JJ, 88 or AK) He might be on fd or sd or just a pair. 5:diamond: seems completely blank. Why fold? Maybe I just don't get something ...
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      for reasons Kruppe armo gave, i would have 3betted the flop. so that you gain a lot in lisibility on the hand you play.

Another way to play that hand is in a way ahead/way behind consideration. If we consider he has either 88, J8s (uh!), A8s, or an intermediate pocket pair (with 2 outs ==> not drawing). You had to play the pot the smallest possible, and the big bet on the turn didn't go in that way, so the fold would be good.

As for me, i would have 3betted the flop to $3.5-$4, fold to a shove on the flop, then reevaluate on the turn. this looks like the play which offers the best lisibility.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you played that hand fine.
      Min-raise could mean anything, but I think it is rather strong play than cheap bluff.
      Why should anyone min-raise with A8J board- if he has draw then it is just better call then see what you do on the river.
      You could easily have A and the villain might put you on AK, so he should have better hand than tptk. I think he has probably 88 here.
      Folding turn is fine, if player is aggressive you could also go for c/rai on the turn, but I would also fold the turn.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      i think i folded because i didn't want to play a big pot with only top pair.

i thought it likely that he had two pair or 88.

but should i maybe have made a small 3bet on the flop to get more information?