Has anyone realized they had to quit online?

• KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      This thread isn't about gambling problems or tilt problems, this is purely about ones mental and physical well being.

I've noticed that ever since uni has resumed and I've dug deep into entering the workforce that my body and brain hasn't been able to keep up with online poker. I feel physically and mentally drained playing online, the amount of effort we put into perfecting our game really takes a toll.

Whenever I see comments that Poker Players are lazy I can't help but think that these guys have never seen the amount of effort that online grinders put into this game. This game can really take a toll on your general health. I'm a microstakes grinder and even I've suffered a small streak of depression from online poker.

This isn't goodbye but definitely a going to take a long break from the online felt (except for Micromillions of course).

Any other takes on this?
  • 22 replies
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      +1 agree with this but there are people who are playing only 5 hours per day online,higher stakes but if you have to grind 8+ hours then you need to take care your diet and fitness so you can sustain the mentally drain
    • mancikaa
      mancikaa
      Bronze
      I will write my opinion about this, and dont want sound harsh to you, so please take it as friendly comment.

You should just stop playing poker. Its not worth to grind mincrostakes, whatever your game is. (Maybe tournaments, but than you need a reasoneable ROI). You wont really make money on microstakes, this cant be your life time goal. If you cant develope to move up on limits, than you just lost the point with it. Its worth to play micros for 2 reason immo: you have fun playing poker but dont want to loose significant ammount of money, or, you want to play a game on a higher limit, and try to collect experience. It sounds, that you dont have these reasons. You should ask yourself whats your goal with poker... you want to earn money? Than your goal should be to develope and step up on limits. You want to have fun? Than dont take it serious! Dont forget to laugh on the game, even if you loose!

If you think, that playing micros destroyes your health, than poker is really not for you. When you reach to that point, that you quit your job or the uni, and try to be a fulltime grinder, even on NL50 or NL100, than you will find out what means being destroyed in health or mentally. When you have to show up with a significant ammount of money to be able to eat and live in general, than the swings and the suck outs will have a tottaly different light for you, you will stressed out like crazy if you already think like this while playing micros.

I think you should just stop playing poker. And than, after a while, when you think you can look on the whole thing again as something what entertains you, than try it again.
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      No no no, you got me wrong. I don't want to be a microstakes player. This is why I joined PokerStrategy, why I started studying poker. My goal is to move up always and through studying I built up a collection of rolls that if I put together would be healthy enough for 10NL.

I'm more or less trying to say that Poker is as draining as anything else in life. Its reached a point in which it is impossible for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle with Uni, Work, Life and Poker. When you have so much on your platter you have to sacrifice something and choices have to be made.

Like you said it isn't worth it to be grinding microstakes all the time and to get out of microstakes we must grind ourselves out of microstakes but to do that takes as much hard work and dedication as a Uni degree does or a job. It isn't healthy to be putting your body through that much physical and mental strain and you have to make a sacrifice and in this case it has to be online poker.
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      You can definitely make a living playing 7$ stts 2$ mttsngs or nl10.But you have to make a big effort every month in order to do this
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I agree with your point about people thinking poker players are lazy people. The amount of times my Mum has ranted on at me for "being lazy" and "sitting in my room playing poker" as if it's a nice, relaxing thing to do. She doesn't realise that on the days I work I put in a 5 hour shift, come home, help my Dad with stuff and then spend 5 or 6 hours discussing and playing poker.

People who haven't played it seriously don't understand the amount of mental energy that is required to play, they just think it's clicking buttons when you have a good hand...
    • celly161942
      celly161942
      Bronze
      No matter what level you are playing if all you're doing is playing poker, either live or at a computer it is a tough life. Most of the guys on television have other business venues outside of poker. Poker is a very solitary lifestyle.
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mancikaa
      I will write my opinion about this, and dont want sound harsh to you, so please take it as friendly comment.

You should just stop playing poker. Its not worth to grind mincrostakes, whatever your game is. (Maybe tournaments, but than you need a reasoneable ROI). You wont really make money on microstakes, this cant be your life time goal. If you cant develope to move up on limits, than you just lost the point with it. Its worth to play micros for 2 reason immo: you have fun playing poker but dont want to loose significant ammount of money, or, you want to play a game on a higher limit, and try to collect experience. It sounds, that you dont have these reasons. You should ask yourself whats your goal with poker... you want to earn money? Than your goal should be to develope and step up on limits. You want to have fun? Than dont take it serious! Dont forget to laugh on the game, even if you loose!

If you think, that playing micros destroyes your health, than poker is really not for you. When you reach to that point, that you quit your job or the uni, and try to be a fulltime grinder, even on NL50 or NL100, than you will find out what means being destroyed in health or mentally. When you have to show up with a significant ammount of money to be able to eat and live in general, than the swings and the suck outs will have a tottaly different light for you, you will stressed out like crazy if you already think like this while playing micros.

I think you should just stop playing poker. And than, after a while, when you think you can look on the whole thing again as something what entertains you, than try it again.
      A lot of the above is true. I really dont understand why people spend time "grinding" micro stakes. If you are learning the game and want to move up dont play many tables and just contantly look to improve and review your play. There is no need to put volume in until at least NL10 or SnG equivalent. Starting "grinding" too early is extremely counter productive and will lead to boredom / moodswings and mild depression with the game. I might be wrong but thats my honest opinion.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I had a $1,1k downswing playing HUNL50 once when I was starting out. I didn't log in once for 2 months due to tilt and mindset issues.

won it back though :s_cool:
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      I had a $1,1k downswing playing HUNL50 once when I was starting out. I didn't log in once for 2 months due to tilt and mindset issues.

won it back though :s_cool:
      tell me about it, had a 2k swing last month playing mainly nl100 HU, now this month ~1,5k swing, ooooooommmmmggg, going crazy some of the time :f_o:

just have to get a better mindset, and in the end the most frustrating thing is when you can't get any action HU
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      hu are so swingy and you whine about 15bis?Just lol
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Exact same thing has happened to me when I tried, in retarded fasion to go MTT pro grinder. I've had a 4 month break recently to travel and now I love poker again but I now know I don't wanna try to go pro again.

I figured out that if you're gonna put huge ammounts of effort into something and become one of the best at it, it probably should be something a bit more useful than a card game
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ulairiiii
      So you say living can be made on 2$/7$ games but laugh at people that lost 4 digit sum in a short period of time?
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gavron23
      So you say living can be made on 2$/7$ games but laugh at people that lost 4 digit sum in a short period of time?

You cant on 2$.You can on 7$.But as common is to loose 70$ playing 7$ same is to loose 1.5k playing nl100.When poker is a high variance game and you run +-20 bis then it is not you run good or bad.When you start having swings 25-30bis+ you can say that
    • tiltpokernow
      tiltpokernow
      Bronze
      :O
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      The higher stakes you play the higher variance becomes due to the fact that the edges are smaller and as a result your equity is smaller.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze

You cant on 2$.You can on 7$.But as common is to loose 70$ playing 7$ same is to loose 1.5k playing nl100.When poker is a high variance game and you run +-20 bis then it is not you run good or bad.When you start having swings 25-30bis+ you can say that
      It's not a common thing to lose 15-20bi in cash games unless your edge is non-existent. But for anyone w solid wr they can deffo say they run bad when they lose so much.
    • tiltpokernow
      tiltpokernow
      Bronze
      take a break for a month then give it a shot again. or wait till the americans come back in a year or so. play will get soft again
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze

looooooooooooooool, not even close, 15bi at cash games is pretty much same as like 50 or more BI on SNGs+having such swings when bumhunting isn't too nice either
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      This thread isn't about gambling problems or tilt problems, this is purely about ones mental and physical well being.

I've noticed that ever since uni has resumed and I've dug deep into entering the workforce that my body and brain hasn't been able to keep up with online poker. I feel physically and mentally drained playing online, the amount of effort we put into perfecting our game really takes a toll.

Whenever I see comments that Poker Players are lazy I can't help but think that these guys have never seen the amount of effort that online grinders put into this game. This game can really take a toll on your general health. I'm a microstakes grinder and even I've suffered a small streak of depression from online poker.

This isn't goodbye but definitely a going to take a long break from the online felt (except for Micromillions of course).

Any other takes on this?
      I experienced something like that... I was playing poker during the Summer, but when the univ. started I just couldn't keep it up. It was hard to play focused, and because of the low volume (I played 2 hours/day tops) I could be in a downswing for a long time. And since I still had to study poker and review my sessions, that was extra work on top of the work I had from univ. But the most important thing that made me quit was that I wasn't having fun playing poker, because of all these things.

So I quit, and I'm dedicated to trading now, since I only need to use 30 mins/day to watch the markets.