[NL2-NL10] NL5; J9s

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $1 (20 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $5.69 (113.8 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $5.22 (104.4 bb)
      BB: $4.88 (97.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 J
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.62) 6 9 7 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46, BB folds

Turn: ($1.54) 8 (2 players)
      CO bets $0.77, Hero folds

Results: $1.54 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: 6 9 7 8
      CO mucked and won $1.44 ($0.78 net)
      Hero mucked 9 J and lost (-$0.66 net)

CO's stats: VP/PFR/AF/WTS/hands 14/10/4.0/33/51
      BB's stats: VP/PFR/AF/WTS/hands 54/3/1.6/47/40

Preflop: I think it's rather standard given the calling station in the BB combined with the somewhat tight range of the CO.

Flop: I am not sure about this. Had we been HU postflop it would be a rather easy call. But given his tight range, the fact that I have position on him, the fact that we are 3way and there is a calling station in the hand makes me question if there are too many hands in his range that we beat. Of course we know relatively nothing about our opponent as of yet but I would be leaning towards a fold.

Turn: Standard for me.
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

I wouldn't say standard. I mean if you are against so tight opponent then how can you even Call the flop? What do you expect him to be CBetting there what you beat? Just a draw and that's it but not that many in his range. If you play this way postflop then rather fold preflop. ;)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      I do not like the call on the flop either.

But I fail to see why it would be a bad call preflop. If we can call other SCs and PPs there for implied odds, I do not quite get why we couldn't call a medium suited 1-gapper IP with a calling station in the BB.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think both the preflop and the flop calls are completely fine tbh. Preflop we can call because we have position and a player in the BB who is very likely to come along for the ride.

On the flop he's cbetting a boatload of hands to just try and take it down or get value from draws with Ax/get the pot HU with the fish. Also, the hand sample we have on him isn't necessarily reliable, there are plenty of times i've played for 50 hands or so and had 11/9 stats or something just because I was card dead at that table, so we can't just assume he's a massive nit on a 51 hand sample.

On the flop I think he's just cbetting a load of hands, since his Agg Fac implies he is aggressive in general postflop, so a call with our TP is fine here imo. Turn, as you said, is completely standard.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I do not like the call on the flop either.

But I fail to see why it would be a bad call preflop. If we can call other SCs and PPs there for implied odds, I do not quite get why we couldn't call a medium suited 1-gapper IP with a calling station in the BB.
      I am not saying that you can't Call with those hands. But you also must some kind of plan for postflop. For example I wouldn't really be investing any cent with just hitting TP in multiway pot but I would rather go for draws. Another possibility would be also even to turn our hand into bluff and at some point raise. :)
      Bronze
      On the flop he's cbetting a boatload of hands to just try and take it down or get value from draws with Ax/get the pot HU with the fish. Also, the hand sample we have on him isn't necessarily reliable, there are plenty of times i've played for 50 hands or so and had 11/9 stats or something just because I was card dead at that table, so we can't just assume he's a massive nit on a 51 hand sample.

Do you think that our opponent is Cbetting overcards / smaller pairs on this board sandwitched between a reg and a calling station? Medium PPs and 6x / 7x / 9x maybe, but surely not overcards. That means that we can get value from smaller pairs and draws only, and in all honesty, I think that a call on the flop is a rather close spot since I do not know if our opponent is good enough to Cbet weak made hands on such a board against two opponents one of whom is a reg. Although you are correct to say that the sample size is too small.

But you also must some kind of plan for postflop.

Would this plan be good enough to justify me calling preflop –

I call preflop with the expectation that the bad BB is quite likely to call as well and thus I get huge implied odds for my draws because the openraiser is seemingly tight and the BB is a calling station. On the flop I can encounter several scenarios – if I miss completely I can easily just give up. If I hit a draw I play it passively against the Cbet because of the calling station who is yet to act. If I hit a pair I fold if it is not top pair against the Cbet and I think hard about whether to call or not if it is top pair (the reason I posted this hand), if there is no Cbet I value bet the calling station to death with my pair.

I think this is a rather good plan.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Then I would also keep to my plan and play it passively as you said and would just fold postflop. There are too many cards which we don't want to see, while he could easily be 2nd barreling even with overcards+FD and that's the main hand what I expect to see. Even anything like 88 has decent equity against us and he wont Check the turn. ;) That's also why I would just fold it on the flop without knowing how often the opponent is capable CBetting.
      Bronze
      Thanks!