[NL2-NL10] NL 2 Small suited Ace -- enter a multi-way pot OOP??

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

Hero (BB): $2.19 (109.5 bb)
      SB: $0.54 (27 bb)
      UTG+2: $2.33 (116.5 bb)
      MP1: $0.86 (43 bb)
      CO: $0.52 (26 bb)
      MP3: $6.17 (308.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.93 (96.5 bb)
      MP2: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 8
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08, Hero ???

The pot is now $0.27 and it only will cost me $0.06 to see it.
      IIRC, MP1 is fairly tight, so he is almost certainly TT+ AQ+
      The others I can't remember.

The only way I'm winning this is hitting a flush, or perhaps two pair.

Is this sufficient pot odds to call and see a flop?
      On the plus side, if I DO hit something juicy, I can make some serious money

In general:
      What criteria do you use do decide when to enter a multi-way pot?
  • 4 replies
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi,
      Imho fold preflop!
      why?
      1.your hand is not so strong as it looks like.
      2.If u wanna play your hand like: lets call and hope for miracle flop, then u can play any hand like this. would u call 72 suited? i hope not, then fold here saves u money. u wont hit often enough and ur call here would be pure donation to the pot,
      3.even if u still want to play this hand, u have got to check opponents stacks, here mp1(aggressor) is less then 50bb then even if u hit ur nuts u wont win as much as u should to make this call profitable
      4.the way u could play this hand is to squeeze, but since u have specific reads on the opponent that he mostly playes AQ+ TT+ u will be here very often dominated, and playing this hands will be asking for trouble. what would u do if ur 3 bet got 4bet-shove answer (would u call and risk ~43BB with just A8s)? what would u do on 872 board if get called? or when Ace would appear? u prolly didnt give up ur hand and u would lost more then just 1BB as against this opponet u will be very often 70-30 underdog.
      for me fold!
      regards
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello VorpalF2F,

While there are so many opponents in the pot I wouldn't even mind to add the 6cents. But don't start to overplaying your TP.

Best Regards.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by AxsisHalon
      Hi,
      Imho fold preflop!
      Well, I did fold pre, but notice that in this position you are getting 4.5 : 1 pot odds, and you have nearly 20% equity.

In this position, with these pot odds, I will enter the pot with mid-sized suited connectors -- say 67s -- since against 3 players whose ranges are TT+ AQ+ you face 3.1 : 1 odds, but your getting 4.5:1 -- not even counting implieds.

Here, according to Equilator, you face 5.9:1 odds, and you're only getting 4.5, so you need implieds. I had read that suited aces play well in multi-way pots, but never investigated it before.

The trick, as Veriz points out, it not to overplay it post flop.

I don't really know about how to play squeeze plays properly, tbh
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You can't squeeze here vs MP1 stack. ;)