This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL 2 Small suited Ace -- enter a multi-way pot OOP??

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

Hero (BB): $2.19 (109.5 bb)
      SB: $0.54 (27 bb)
      UTG+2: $2.33 (116.5 bb)
      MP1: $0.86 (43 bb)
      CO: $0.52 (26 bb)
      MP3: $6.17 (308.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.93 (96.5 bb)
      MP2: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 8
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08, Hero ???

The pot is now $0.27 and it only will cost me $0.06 to see it.
      IIRC, MP1 is fairly tight, so he is almost certainly TT+ AQ+
      The others I can't remember.

The only way I'm winning this is hitting a flush, or perhaps two pair.

Is this sufficient pot odds to call and see a flop?
      On the plus side, if I DO hit something juicy, I can make some serious money

In general:
      What criteria do you use do decide when to enter a multi-way pot?
  • 4 replies
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi,
      Imho fold preflop!
      why?
      1.your hand is not so strong as it looks like.
      2.If u wanna play your hand like: lets call and hope for miracle flop, then u can play any hand like this. would u call 72 suited? i hope not, then fold here saves u money. u wont hit often enough and ur call here would be pure donation to the pot,
      3.even if u still want to play this hand, u have got to check opponents stacks, here mp1(aggressor) is less then 50bb then even if u hit ur nuts u wont win as much as u should to make this call profitable
      4.the way u could play this hand is to squeeze, but since u have specific reads on the opponent that he mostly playes AQ+ TT+ u will be here very often dominated, and playing this hands will be asking for trouble. what would u do if ur 3 bet got 4bet-shove answer (would u call and risk ~43BB with just A8s)? what would u do on 872 board if get called? or when Ace would appear? u prolly didnt give up ur hand and u would lost more then just 1BB as against this opponet u will be very often 70-30 underdog.
      for me fold!
      regards
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello VorpalF2F,

While there are so many opponents in the pot I wouldn't even mind to add the 6cents. But don't start to overplaying your TP.

Best Regards.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by AxsisHalon
      Hi,
      Imho fold preflop!
      Well, I did fold pre, but notice that in this position you are getting 4.5 : 1 pot odds, and you have nearly 20% equity.

In this position, with these pot odds, I will enter the pot with mid-sized suited connectors -- say 67s -- since against 3 players whose ranges are TT+ AQ+ you face 3.1 : 1 odds, but your getting 4.5:1 -- not even counting implieds.

Here, according to Equilator, you face 5.9:1 odds, and you're only getting 4.5, so you need implieds. I had read that suited aces play well in multi-way pots, but never investigated it before.

The trick, as Veriz points out, it not to overplay it post flop.

I don't really know about how to play squeeze plays properly, tbh
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You can't squeeze here vs MP1 stack. ;)