SNG vs full ring vs tournament

• mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      What do you play?Seems like a lot of people play a lot of sng. Is it more profitable or is it just a quicker money, but more variance. Tournaments seem to have the biggest hiatus for prizes, but if you can in you can make a lot. I have never really seen the appeal of either so I am just curious to what makes it so appealing.
  • 7 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi mute20,

Moved this to Beginners Questions, it may get a more appropriate response there.

Regards,

Mal.
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      I know I just enjoy SNGs (and the very few MTTs that I've played) more. I find it hard to keep motivated playing cash games, because to me it gets a bit monotonous. On the other hand, a tournament has a certain structure that I find very exciting. It is like a story to me, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

But that's just me. Has nothing to do with the rewards, really (I'm sure at the micro limits, there's a lot more money to be made from cash grinding), but just my enjoyment.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Svarthjalmar
      I know I just enjoy SNGs (and the very few MTTs that I've played) more. I find it hard to keep motivated playing cash games, because to me it gets a bit monotonous. On the other hand, a tournament has a certain structure that I find very exciting. It is like a story to me, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

But that's just me. Has nothing to do with the rewards, really (I'm sure at the micro limits, there's a lot more money to be made from cash grinding), but just my enjoyment.
      This is pretty much spot on :)

It's important to play what YOU enjoy, not what other people make profits at because you need to be able to keep yourself motivated to want to study and better yourself all the time. The game you enjoy playing the most is going to be the one thats most profitable to you.

Good luck with whatever you choose, keep us updated,

Carl
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Mute20

I play cash games. Not full ring like you said but I swapped to short handed last week.
      And like the 2 others said you must enjoy the game. I like playing the odd SnG or MTT but I don't like it that I can't take a break whenever I can... Thats why I like cash games. And I can't keep focus on a SnG or an MTT. When I get deep I get to excited.
      I just prefer Cash games, But it's all up to you!

Regards
      RasTweet
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I on the other hand prefer cash games and here's why.

You can play a tournament play every hand right, rise up and play one hand incorrect or have someone suck out on you and boom 2-3+ hours of work gone, or something like 1+ hour for SNGs.

In cash games you play every hand right, be 4-5 BIs up, play one hand incorrect and you lose 1 BI but you're still 3-4 BIs up and you don't feel like you've wasted a lot of time and you can always win back that 1 BI, as you still have the opportunity to, unless you tilt (which is a different issue altogether :D )
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      I on the other hand prefer cash games and here's why.

You can play a tournament play every hand right, rise up and play one hand incorrect or have someone suck out on you and boom 2-3+ hours of work gone, or something like 1+ hour for SNGs.

In cash games you play every hand right, be 4-5 BIs up, play one hand incorrect and you lose 1 BI but you're still 3-4 BIs up and you don't feel like you've wasted a lot of time and you can always win back that 1 BI, as you still have the opportunity to, unless you tilt (which is a different issue altogether :D )
      Never thought about it this way, but yeah true. A suckout doesn't hurt as much in a cash game.
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      Yeah, but it should be the same, though, it just takes a bigger sample size for your SNG/MTT play to become profitable if you play +EV. Yes, suckouts can be much worse, but you have to keep in mind that you're going to suck out on others as well, so that evens out I think. I know I've made chip leader in SNGs because of suckouts on my part and busted because of others sucking out on me. But I get your point about the amount of time you can lose, yeah. I guess that's why people multi-table, right?