optimal session length / frequency

Bronze
      I have a rather vague understanding of variance and how long and often one has to play in order for his playing to bear any noticeable results in the short term, therefore I ask – provided your potential winrate is at least 3BBs/100, how much do you have to play on a daily basis in order for your playing to be worthwhile in the short term? Basically – what is the optimal session length and frequency for quick visible results keeping in mind that we have limited free time and energy?

And another sidequestion – how often and how much is Isildur1 playing? Just curious.
  • 14 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Isildur1 just plays high stakes..

Want results..

NL2 = 100 hours a day.
      NL4 = 80 hours a day.

etc. etc.

want really quick results in no time.. good or bad.. play nosebleed.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      There isn't enough free time in the day for your session/daily results to bear any significance, unless you're 24 tabling FR, in which case about 7 hours a day should get you somewhere close to something, as it is a low variance game and you can put in 10k hands in 7 hours.

The real optimal strategy is to not think of poker sessions one by one or day by day. It's one long session, so it's pointless even thinking about the short term results.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I recommend you watch the series "Tolerance" from DC and also take a look here and play with this toy, I am pretty sure it will amaze you and make you understand how much you underestimate variance. Just a quick preview:

This for 1 M hands:

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Post it in this thread, maybe Jared can help you out :)

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      I recommend you watch the series "Tolerance" from DC and also take a look here and play with this toy, I am pretty sure it will amaze you and make you understand how much you underestimate variance. Just a quick preview:

This for 1 M hands:

god it makes me sick to look at that. Please let me be the green line for the next million hands
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      at least it doesn't dip below 0 in this example :>
      this is deffo showing the merit of conservative BRM.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      at least it doesn't dip below 0 in this example :>
      this is deffo showing the merit of conservative BRM.
      Over ~ 7-800 k you get it always positive. I did not want to post a 100 k sample to make some people sick with how much you can loose on such a "big sample", especially with this small win rate.
      Bronze

This for 1 M hands:

Wait a minute – is that for real? I mean, it changes so much! I know I have to keep improving and that I am nowhere near the best, probably even the somewhat good players, but seeing this actually makes me lose the feeling that despite me working on my game it seems to be pointless because the results are so inconsistent.

I recommend you watch the series "Tolerance" from DC

What is it and where can I take a look at it?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91

This for 1 M hands:

Wait a minute – is that for real? I mean, it changes so much! I know I have to keep improving and that I am nowhere near the best, probably even the somewhat good players, but seeing this actually makes me lose the feeling that despite me working on my game it seems to be pointless because the results are so inconsistent.
      That's only two extremes taken, on average the results will be much closer each other
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      ^^ yeah, don't lose confidence, it's just a mathematical model to just show how much the results can vary and it makes me to not take into account the results almost at all, as the only variable I can control is my rate of my improvement. And the results you get are influenced by many variables, many out of your control.

Tolerance is a series of 4 videos on DeucesCracked it which variance is discussed and presented.
      Bronze
      ^^ yeah, don't lose confidence, it's just a mathematical model to just show how much the results can vary and it makes me to not take into account the results almost at all, as the only variable I can control is my rate of my improvement. And the results you get are influenced by many variables, many out of your control.

Pure gold!

It would seem that one must pay in order to see the videos on DeucesCracked? Is that the case? Would be rather sad..
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Well it's only 30$ for a month in which you can download all the series you want to watch for the next two years if you want, so in my perspective it's well worth the investment. There is no sign-up tax like on the other sites so it's quite cheap.

Add "DeMarcohsp" on skype if you want to share an account.
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      Interesting ...
    • ohmesohrny
      ohmesohrny
      Basic
      Find your threshold. everyones different. If your finding yourslef losing after an hour then quit after an hour. If you can play optimally longer then play longer.